2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

DIY: $50 (or less) Intake For The GE. CAI / SRI

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by j1nNju1c3
My Injen SRI is 2.75" filter and I would love to modify it to a 3" filter, is there anyway that I can do that??? Any input would be great!
You could go with 2.75" straight pipe and 2.75" to 2" coupler. These are tougher to find parts but they are out there.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
You could go with 2.75" straight pipe and 2.75" to 2" coupler. These are tougher to find parts but they are out there.
Thanks, I'll try to look for 'em. Where can one usually find pipes like this? Home Depot? Autozone?

Old 05-20-2010, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
I doubt you'd find them anywhere but custom made online. Google: "silicone turbo couplers"

Old 05-20-2010, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
Haha, when you said tough but it's out there, I thought you really meant that it was out there available somewhere, not just custom made. I will try that out though when my sri/cai shits out on me

Old 05-23-2010, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
A small warning about using a 2 1/2" to 3" coupler on the MAF tube. If you bought a 2 1/2" to 3" coupler instead of 2" to 3" you will have to find a way to increase the diameter of the MAF tube. For me I just wrapped it in vinyl tape until it reached the desired width. However....

This can happen if you don't do a really good job wrapping it tightly and evenly. A portion of the vinyl tape was sucked inside of the tube, creating an obstruction. I strongly recommend not using a 2 1/2" coupler on the MAF tube. I have since corrected the problem a used a wider clamp to ensure it does not happen again but it would have been easier to just buy the correct coupler.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 05-23-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:45 PM
did my intake last night took idk 20 min... with the cutting but i went a little different route i got a coupler from the tb to a 3in. 90 deg. bend to another coupler to the mas/maf then from that to my filter. i noticed the there was a smaller filter in autozone so i used that

Name:  ge1.jpg
Views: 2155
Size:  32.8 KB

Name:  ge2.jpg
Views: 2153
Size:  27.7 KB

Name:  ge3.jpg
Views: 2160
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  ge4.jpg
Views: 2136
Size:  33.8 KB

Name:  ge5.jpg
Views: 2143
Size:  31.9 KB

Old 05-24-2010, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
Very nice, that's why I like this, you have the freedom to install at any angle and with any filter you want. How's that look from rain though? Check it a few times after it rains to make sure you aren't running a risk of hydrolock.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
If anyone gets bored you can always try to make it "ram air" by removing the fog lights and using some of the acordion tubing they sell with these filters. Bonus points if you use a Y-pipe to get it to feed from both fog light housing.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
yeah I wouldn't run the filter facing the direction the car travels. You do run the risk of getting water into the engine...although I doubt you could get hydrolock unless someone fed a hose to it. There is the risk of some water making it way through the grill and your filter is right there waiting for it. It's also going to be pulling hot air since it's close to the header. You're better off positioning it like Lyon did.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
Only other thing I can think of is that it is directly above the radiator which should be a hot spot. I wish this engine bay had a little more room so you could route it to a fender or some other safe spot from there.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Very nice, that's why I like this, you have the freedom to install at any angle and with any filter you want. How's that look from rain though? Check it a few times after it rains to make sure you aren't running a risk of hydrolock.
its prety hard to hydrolock a car, the filter would have to submerge

Old 05-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by fitisbamf
did my intake last night took idk 20 min... with the cutting but i went a little different route i got a coupler from the tb to a 3in. 90 deg. bend to another coupler to the mas/maf then from that to my filter. i noticed the there was a smaller filter in autozone so i used that

Interesting. Why didn't you want to utilize the under hood scoop?
I would also recommend making some sort of heat shield on the left side of the filter. You don't want the intake to get heat soaked from the engine right next to it esp. since there is no real cold air being fed to that location directly.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Interesting. Why didn't you want to utilize the under hood scoop?
I would also recommend making some sort of heat shield on the left side of the filter. You don't want the intake to get heat soaked from the engine right next to it esp. since there is no real cold air being fed to that location directly.

lol..why didn't I think of that in my post

Old 05-24-2010, 10:09 PM
haha ya, i thought about pluging off the rad. plate that had holes for the intake but, when i noticed how the hood sat, taking off the scoop on the hood made the air flow straight to this filter location. then if any1 has noticed i dont have fogs.... i made a velocity stack fit in one of the holes for the driver side fog then i took 3in. dryer piping and made a ram flow right into the filter

and in the second pic. you can see the little tube from the ram. and there is a small area of the rad that you can see its blocked off so air is forced into the rad. ( for those with questions i will post in "what did you do...." thread)

Name:  04182010_003.jpg
Views: 2148
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  ge1.jpg
Views: 2134
Size:  32.8 KB

Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 PM
I was wondering if this will work on my 2008 Sport?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sk8pw1
well it's a custom mod so you can make it work

Old 05-25-2010, 03:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sk8pw1
You GD people have it so easy because you don't have a MAF. You can just hook any universal intake to it with no cutting

Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 AM
haha ya, i thought about pluging off the rad. plate that had holes for the intake but, when i noticed how the hood sat, taking off the scoop on the hood made the air flow straight to this filter location. then if any1 has noticed i dont have fogs.... i made a velocity stack fit in one of the holes for the driver side fog then i took 3in. dryer piping and made a ram flow right into the filter

and in the second pic. you can see the little tube from the ram. and there is a small area of the rad that you can see its blocked off so air is forced into the rad. ( for those with questions i will post in "what did you do...." thread)
I get you. Smart design. I would still utilized some sort of heat shield on the left side of the filter (between the engine and filter) to block off some of that engine heat. Utilize that ram air cold air even more. You obviously are good at fabricating stuff. A simple heat shield should be easy for you. You can probably use the stock air box screw hole locations to mount the air box.
Nice custom setup.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 05-25-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member

I think you should make me one, since your down here in San Diego

Old 05-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by j1nNju1c3
I think you should make me one, since your down here in San Diego

ok i will hahah what parts you want made?

Quick Reply: DIY: $50 (or less) Intake For The GE. CAI / SRI