2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Finally : Straight Pipe Axleback Sound Clips

Old 09-25-2011, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Finally : Straight Pipe Axleback Sound Clips

They aren't the greatest (recorded with my blackberry) but it gives you a good idea of how it sounds. It's a little throatier / not as raspy in person.
My Setup:
-Straight pipe axleback w/ DC Sports tip
-Everything else is stock (including intake)

Video 1
Video 2

Pictures:

Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
Doesn't sound to bad. How is it just driving around?

Old 09-27-2011, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
i kinda did a very similar thing, except i just cut mine right after the downturn after the axle (no pipe or tip to the back) i did it for the track so i'd get better sound on my videos - but i'm leaving it!! it's not loud or anoying at all (atleast without the extra pipe and tip)
do a drive by vid!
EVERYONE !!! IT SOUNDS GREAT! and when i want i just need to have it welded back together - and at that point it will have low miles on the factory muffler

props to the OP!

free mod for me

Old 09-27-2011, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
Doesn't sound to bad. How is it just driving around?
it's pretty quiet. i never get any attention from it; it sounds like how the car should've come from the factory. there's pretty much no highway drone, and i usually can't hear it over my stereo.

Originally Posted by vtecfit1
i kinda did a very similar thing, except i just cut mine right after the downturn after the axle (no pipe or tip to the back) i did it for the track so i'd get better sound on my videos - but i'm leaving it!! it's not loud or anoying at all (atleast without the extra pipe and tip)
do a drive by vid!
EVERYONE !!! IT SOUNDS GREAT! and when i want i just need to have it welded back together - and at that point it will have low miles on the factory muffler

props to the OP!

free mod for me
it's honestly the cheapest / best sounding setup you can do for a GE. it's a very simple setup that still sounds really deep; and has a good amount of backfire
i'll do a drive by video soon. i recorded an interior video but you can't hear the car at all haha

Old 02-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Where did you get that tip from? Im going to do this to mine, and it looks like that tip fills the space perfectly. Just a little bit bigger than stock.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Picked it up from Pepboys, made by DC Sports. Think it ran me about $30.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
what rims are on that scion? i want some lol

Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 PM
I just picked up my 2010 AT GE8. Already deleted the resonator on the midpipe I think I'm headed to the muffler shop tomorrow to delete the muffler and put a tip on it. Considering our cars don't have much power, might as well get some good sound.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah totally thinking about doing this. Gonna have a shop fab a straight pipe with flanges and everything so I can remove the straight pipe and put my muffler back on quickly if I need to. Shipping an exhaust out here would hurt my wallet bad.

Edit: Yes! Please do a drive by video!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by WangLung
Yeah totally thinking about doing this. Gonna have a shop fab a straight pipe with flanges and everything so I can remove the straight pipe and put my muffler back on quickly if I need to. Shipping an exhaust out here would hurt my wallet bad.

Good idea about doing a straight pipe setup with flanges. Looking back, I should have done that with mine. Now I sound like a loud battle tank.

I'm going to probably go to the opposite end of the spectrum and make my car super quiet.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
what rims are on that scion? i want some lol
OEM rims painted black

Originally Posted by nynhex
I just picked up my 2010 AT GE8. Already deleted the resonator on the midpipe I think I'm headed to the muffler shop tomorrow to delete the muffler and put a tip on it. Considering our cars don't have much power, might as well get some good sound.
It'll probably be really loud. It'd sound better if you had a muffler with it, just saying.

Originally Posted by WangLung

That's what I'm going to do of I do this again on the new Fit. Since the old one is totalled I can't do a drive by video, sorry

Originally Posted by nynhex
Good idea about doing a straight pipe setup with flanges. Looking back, I should have done that with mine. Now I sound like a loud battle tank.

I'm going to probably go to the opposite end of the spectrum and make my car super quiet.
Just put the resonator back on, or get a muffler!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by FittedOnEm
Just put the resonator back on, or get a muffler!
I'll probably put the oem muffler back on with the rounded tip I bought to avoid any issues. I'll have enough "sound" with the system I'm putting in the car.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds good Andrew! And are you sure that tip is legit DC Sports? Never knew they sold tips.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 AM
how is it going uphill?

Old 10-04-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm so thankful for finding this thread. I ordered a Greddy Spectrum Elite for my '13 Fit Sport MT last week, and apparently a lot of companies don't check to see if the exhausts they put up for sale are still being manufactured -__-. I kept getting a run around from the company that I ordered the exhaust from about why I wasn't receiving tracking for my purchase, so I called Greddy themselves and was told that the Spectrum Elite has been discontinued for a very long time. I immediately got a refund for the exhaust and was bummed since I did a lot of research on GE Fit exhausts, and pretty much every exhaust (besides the Spectrum Elite and T1R VIP) had a big canister muffler (which I wanted to stay away from due to attention).

I called up a reputable muffler shop in my city (I highly highly recommend Babe's & Lightning Muffler if you're in San Jose), and asked if he could chop off the OEM muffler and weld on a straight pipe (with 3.5" tip). I went to the shop around 3:30 PM, and everything was chopped and installed nicely by 4:30 PM.

The sound is awesome, drones quite a bit around 3,000 rpm especially if going downhill in 2nd/3rd gear in the city, but anywhere below or above 3,000 and you're not going to attract any attention. I haven't done any highway driving with it, but knowing that 65 mph in 5th gear sits right around the 3k rpm mark, I am hoping there won't be too much drone. It's a bit loud starting off in 1st gear, but shifting right away would quiet it down. I love how the sound is a deeeeep tone, nothing ricey about this set up at ALL. Honestly the best $100 I have spent, and having the OEM welded back on will only run me $20.

Hopefully I can make a few videos of it to show everyone. Now I don't have to skip out on the tinting I wanted to do. I can have my exhaust set up (looking stock!) and tint for the same price I would have gotten the Greddy exhaust for (plus I don't think I would have liked the sound as much as I do with this cheaper set up).

BTW, I don't know if I would recommend this set up for Automatic, since I suspect there would be constant drone? :/ I could be wrong though!

Thanks!
Chris

Last edited by chriskabobbers; 10-04-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
I agree, the sound is great. Very OEM+…and if you've got an intake to go along with it it'll sound even better. The key to a good sounding exhuast on small engines is to focus more on intake noise IMO.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 PM
just wanted to share some of the pictures from the install today:

Name:  20121004_154844.jpg
Views: 2089
Size:  230.5 KB

Name:  20121004_155027.jpg
Views: 2101
Size:  309.3 KB

Name:  20121004_164851.jpg
Views: 2124
Size:  230.7 KB

Name:  20121004_180332.jpg
Views: 2608
Size:  227.8 KB

Name:  20121004_180348.jpg
Views: 2119
Size:  259.5 KB

Last edited by chriskabobbers; 10-04-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chriskabobbers
I'm so thankful for finding this thread. I ordered a Greddy Spectrum Elite for my '13 Fit Sport MT last week, and apparently a lot of companies don't check to see if the exhausts they put up for sale are still being manufactured -__-. I kept getting a run around from the company that I ordered the exhaust from about why I wasn't receiving tracking for my purchase, so I called Greddy themselves and was told that the Spectrum Elite has been discontinued for a very long time. I immediately got a refund for the exhaust and was bummed since I did a lot of research on GE Fit exhausts, and pretty much every exhaust (besides the Spectrum Elite and T1R VIP) had a big canister muffler (which I wanted to stay away from due to attention).

I called up a reputable muffler shop in my city (I highly highly recommend Babe's & Lightning Muffler if you're in San Jose), and asked if he could chop off the OEM muffler and weld on a straight pipe (with 3.5" tip). I went to the shop around 3:30 PM, and everything was chopped and installed nicely by 4:30 PM.

The sound is awesome, drones quite a bit around 3,000 rpm especially if going downhill in 2nd/3rd gear in the city, but anywhere below or above 3,000 and you're not going to attract any attention. I haven't done any highway driving with it, but knowing that 65 mph in 5th gear sits right around the 3k rpm mark, I am hoping there won't be too much drone. It's a bit loud starting off in 1st gear, but shifting right away would quiet it down. I love how the sound is a deeeeep tone, nothing ricey about this set up at ALL. Honestly the best $100 I have spent, and having the OEM welded back on will only run me $20.

Hopefully I can make a few videos of it to show everyone. Now I don't have to skip out on the tinting I wanted to do. I can have my exhaust set up (looking stock!) and tint for the same price I would have gotten the Greddy exhaust for (plus I don't think I would have liked the sound as much as I do with this cheaper set up).

BTW, I don't know if I would recommend this set up for Automatic, since I suspect there would be constant drone? :/ I could be wrong though!

Thanks!
Chris
Its not too bad actually, you just hear how much the car is constantly shifting which gets annoying. I usually drive with the paddles in sport anyways. You get a nice little backfire at about 2800 rpm while downshifting.
Here is my clip from in the car (recorded with basic digital camera):

Also of not is that I had mine done with the stock tubing size and a small tip to keep the stock look. The larger the tubing, the louder it will be and potentially get more resonation.

Name:  fitexhaust.jpg
Views: 2260
Size:  126.6 KB

Old 10-23-2012, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Badwrench
Its not too bad actually, you just hear how much the car is constantly shifting which gets annoying.
At 70mph with the A/T the rpms sit around 2,500. Does it drone around that rpm, or is it pretty quiet?

-Dustin

Old 10-23-2012, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
At 70mph with the A/T the rpms sit around 2,500. Does it drone around that rpm, or is it pretty quiet?

-Dustin
Only drones under load. Unless you are going up hill, it stays very quiet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally : Straight Pipe Axleback Sound Clips