2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

GE8 K-SWAP. The future is not so distant anymore

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
^^ I dont live at home Im a single 26 year old guy with his own place. The Fit was my only car for 3 years and I had it heavily modded, not the smartest thing when its your only car. When I did decide to go K though I did get a second car. When you start to break down the cost, yes it seems very pointless to K swap, but then you will have a boring car that you will see 100s of every day. How often do you see a K20/K24 Fit going down the road?

If the car was DD you would not NEED to upgrade the brakes, suspension or seats for a K, but it would not hurt

Like I said, everyone's situation is different. It was definetely a good idea for you to get a second car.

As far as not modding everything else. Yes, you technically don't have to. But as for myself, I would not do a Kswap on a Fit without modifying the suspension, brakes, wheels and tires and driver's seat at a minimum.

I'm not interested in just going straight only in a straight line. And even now, with the stock engine and my current wheels and tires, which greatly increased my handling, I often wish I had an aftermarket seat. The stock Fit seats are not meant to hold you like a sport seat. I take certain turns daily really hard and always have to hold myself in place.

In addition, with the added power and speed by swapping a K20, not to mention the added weight, it would be smart to upgrade your brakes. Logic will tell you that if you add weight and speed to a car, but have the exact same tire and wheel combination, your stopping distance will increase, which is a no no for me.

Every bodies modding plans is different. I've had a lot of cars in the past. At one point I had an S13 an S14 that I was planning to put SR20s in. The engine would have been swapped along with suspension/wheels/tires and brakes. A 240sx' stock parts were not meant to handle the power of an SR20 "safely".

But when I added 100 HP to my Evo, that was different. The Evo's suspension, brakes and drivetrain could handle 100HP+ in stock form.

All I'm saying is that when adding a lot of power to a Fit, safety should also be a priority in the build. But, again, not everyone would go my route in a build. I just wouldn't swap a K20 in a Fit and leave everything else stock.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Finally someone else that gets it.

As a side note though, I'm in my 20's as well, just bought a house and until a few months ago had 4 cars. Currently down to 2. Both are modified. Both are currently being worked on still.

I have in the past, and intend to in the future, DD heavily modified cars.

If you build them right the first time you only have to worry as much as you would with any other car.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
I, for one, am happy they're making motor mounts for the CR-Z and am excited for the future potential for easier K swaps for our GE8 fits. Thanks for posting.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:22 PM
I currently drive a 2011 A3 Quattro S-line but bought my wife a 09 GE8 Jazz VTI-S (Auto) in Australia for my wife. Although very very interesting and possibly good news for those wanting to do a swap in the future...I must agree with many of the posts on here. Even though i have 5-10k to drop in the Jazz to give it the power it was meant to have (just to take that edge off) I believe some of the turbo kits out there that add another 30lb/ft and 25whp is all the car needs to take it out of the "eco-box" category. The Jazz is definitely more practical/useful that my Audi. I can fit more stuff in more configurations for half the price.

You see, in Australia a GE8 will cost you $28,000+ so another 3k for a turbo kit doesn't sound too rough. But if you bought your Jazz in the USA for 15k it immediately doesn't make sense in terms of a DD. I haven't done anything to my jazz aside from a SQ minded stereo system, dynamatt, etc...

Old 02-05-2012, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't turbo a Fit, unless I had the money for stronger internals. Especially if it's a DD. A SC maybe, since the boost levels won't be as high. Not a turbo though. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
I'm happy this may come true, but I won't do it until either I blow up my engine or until my car is fully paid off and has much higher mileage. Until then I would like to be like some of the other guys on here and take this L15 to its limits and see what this engine can do. So that other people can do it and then maybe company's may make more parts for our fit. But when the time come I want to go K

Old 02-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Cornerstrike
I wouldn't turbo a Fit, unless I had the money for stronger internals. Especially if it's a DD. A SC maybe, since the boost levels won't be as high. Not a turbo though. Just my 2 cents.

You can run 8-10 psi on a turbo just like the superchargers. Plenty of guys on here are DD there fit with a turbo and not having any issues. It's all how hard you are on the car and how well you keep up with maintenance.

Originally Posted by swflej1
I'm happy this may come true, but I won't do it until either I blow up my engine or until my car is fully paid off and has much higher mileage. Until then I would like to be like some of the other guys on here and take this L15 to its limits and see what this engine can do. So that other people can do it and then maybe company's may make more parts for our fit. But when the time come I want to go K
I under stand wanting the most out if the L15 and seeing what it can do but if you are seriuse about doing a K down the road why waist money on the L15? I never plained to put a K in my car, I actualy never thought I would have done it. So I spent about $6,000 with a supercharger, header, test pipe, exhaust and other engine mods. That rigHt there is over half what my K swap cost.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:02 AM

I under stand wanting the most out if the L15 and seeing what it can do but if you are seriuse about doing a K down the road why waist money on the L15? I never plained to put a K in my car, I actualy never thought I would have done it. So I spent about $6,000 with a supercharger, header, test pipe, exhaust and other engine mods. That rigHt there is over half what my K swap cost.
^ that right there is why i never even bought an intake for my car, but on a side note i just bought my k20z3 engine harness and charge harness. next stop. rywire.

anyways. hey MNFIT are you going to brainard this year for MAP's proving grounds? i know your car wasn't ready last year. i was over at MAP's yesturday actually ordering my springs. everyone seems stocked.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
I dont think I am going to be able to get the time off work for Proving Grounds. I do hope to make it some day, I have heard such great things about it

Old 02-13-2012, 11:22 AM
aww come on bro! i'll never get to see your car at this rate! or a test drive

Old 02-13-2012, 03:27 PM
The ability to swap engines is what made hondas so desired for so many years.

I do agree that it has to be done right, or not at all. If your going to swap the engine, you should be going all in, on every other part, as well.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Schoat333
The ability to swap engines is what made hondas so desired for so many years.

I do agree that it has to be done right, or not at all. If your going to swap the engine, you should be going all in, on every other part, as well.
This is true, and as awesome as it is to be able to throw a K series into the first gen and possibly now the 2nd gen...i feel as if its just getting boring.

I think people should really look outside the box and do something crazy and unique. Now I am definitely not saying to go grab a J and put it in there because that's just stupid BUTT how about getting a solid B series, sourcing the AWD parts from a junked CRV and making the very first AWD B-Series Turbo Fit.

Strip the interior, weld in a cage, and call that thing an effin track beast!!!

Who wouldn't be totally interested in doing that! Yes it would be a shitload of work and seem impossible but that's the who point of modification and ingenuity. Of course nothing is going to bolt up like many people expect but then again why did they invent welding and metal work if we weren't going to use it for something AWESOME! lol

Who is with me?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Any updates about the CRZ/GE K-series motor and tranny mounts?

I have a source to get a full K20A2 and 6-speed setup.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
Any updates about the CRZ/GE K-series motor and tranny mounts?

I have a source to get a full K20A2 and 6-speed setup.
Do you have a plain for axles, engine management, wiring, header?

Old 04-01-2012, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Do you have a plain for axles, engine management, wiring, header?
Yep. Don't forget cooling and a functional AC system.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 AM
If you have the money than a k swap is in store lol! I am currently saving up for a k24 w/k20 NA setup, but of course i wont be doing it myself! A shop in my town is known for putting together the most powerful Evo's, SRT4's, Civics, etc... i have known the guy for awhile now and dont question his work whatsoever! Yes it will be expensive, but than again i dont have to pay the extra to get a turbo set up! and yes it will be awhile....sadly. at least i have 1 of 2 Fits in utah, at least i havent seen any around that have aftermarket work done on them, so i can soak in that joy for a while lol

Old 04-26-2012, 12:00 PM
but than again i dont have to pay the but than again i dont have to pay the extra to get a turbo set up!to get a turbo set up!

LOL WUT

So you are going to be paying 3-5 times the cost of a turbo'd L15A only to make the same or less amount of power, with less area under the curve because its NA?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:52 PM
lol i'm saying that a k24 with k20 head, with built internals will get me way more power than you would see with a Turbocharged L series. it's not rare to see NA k series motors making more power than other Turbo applications. Just yesterday the shop here finished a k build with Stock honda parts making 219whp......Stock Honda parts!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Count me unimpressed. There are more than a few folks with boosted Ls making north of 200whp and more torque across a wider range.

For cheaper.

"it's not rare to see NA k series motors making more power than other Turbo applications."

That statement is factually void and requires qualification. It is effectively meaningless.

Add some ARP head studs, $375 worth of K1 rods (come with ARP2000 rod bolts pressed in), $90 in rod/main bearings and some Wiseco pistons for $500 and you can go mild to wild with no worries.

I can appreciate wanting the 2.4 or 2.0, but never understood why, with all the work involved and associated cost, someone would want a ~200whp NA K-series. Even at 250whp, they are not especially appealing because there is an abject lack of torque and all the power resides at the top of the rev range, which completely negates having a larger motor.

If you are not interested in making considerably more than 350whp, you do not need a K-series.

Even then, there are plenty of parts to make a super stout L-series and even a couple running examples of L-series motors running north of 450whp. And it still costs a good deal less than a stock to turn-key K-swap in most cases.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 04-26-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 PM
you sir are smarter than me when it comes to this stuff, so i dont doubt you. I just got back on this site last night, and havent found any Lseries build.......if you wouldnt mind, could you point me in the direction of a built Lseries that includes all the parts they got?????

Quick Reply: GE8 K-SWAP. The future is not so distant anymore