2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

IS this a real GE turbo kit?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
IS this a real GE turbo kit?!

Found this totally by coincidence:
cxracing.com: 08 Turbo Intercooler kit HONDA FIT 1.3L/1.5L Bolt on

This is what they show as the "Stainless Steel Turbo Manifold"

AND

This is what they show as an "installed" pic:

That sure is a funny looking '08 fit

As the GF keeps asking me to turbo her 2012 and I KNOW others have been wanting a Kit I have sent them an EMail to ask if this is a real in stock ready to ship kit. Being that this is CHEAP, I am 100% certain that there could be potential "quality" issues, and as there is no mention of fuel control included you would be on your own to figure out how to tune it... but I do have a GReddy Emanage sitting around with a GD harness...

Thoughts?

Old 11-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Really sounds like you should just stay away from this kit, no matter how cheap it is. I think it would be more headaches then its worth

Old 11-16-2012, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
Really sounds like you should just stay away from this kit, no matter how cheap it is. I think it would be more headaches then its worth
I am HEAVILY inclined to agree with you... but the reviews on the web say that the only real weak point's in there kit's are the "chinese" or Ebay turbos.

Even if you replace the turbo and add your own fuel management... the manifold, down pipe, charge piping, intercooler, and oil cooler might be worth the price... just saying MIGHT...

Old 11-16-2012, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
I'm sure DSM will have a field day, but my relatively noobish opinion is, if you can't find any documentation or personal description of at least one person who set it up to work correctly, you'll probably be the first. For all you know those pieces are just mocked up in the engine bay. And you can't see the really tough bit, which is the exhaust which is right up next to the firewall, and you don't know if it was successfully convinced to run or - if it was - if it required the use of a replacement tunable ECU that lacks support for any of the ancillary functions (climate control? not sure where that is controlled).

Old 11-16-2012, 03:42 PM
In for Chinese turbo debate

At the very least use everything else.

In for DSM's response.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by TPColgett
I am HEAVILY inclined to agree with you... but the reviews on the web say that the only real weak point's in there kit's are the "chinese" or Ebay turbos.

Even if you replace the turbo and add your own fuel management... the manifold, down pipe, charge piping, intercooler, and oil cooler might be worth the price... just saying MIGHT...
I have an inclination to agree with this. Just get a proper turbo, some fuel mods and a way to tune spark and injectors.

That header/manifold bit has an odd bolt pattern where the turbine mounts up, but it looks like a T25 volute shape.

Beyond that, I'm not sure anything but a real small turbo would fit on that "manifold" between the block and the firewall.

The R18 turbo manifolds are a better fit for anything more than a GT25R, they situate it lower and on an angle.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 11-16-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I have an inclination to agree with this. Just get a proper turbo, some fuel mods and a way to tune spark and injectors.

That header/manifold bit has an odd bolt pattern where the turbine mounts up, but it looks like a T25 volute shape.
With something like the Emanage Ultimate I already have....and a quality T25.... proper injectors (RDX would be big enough I am sure) .... This could work.

@fujisawa - I have NO problem being first at something, Innovate or die More so I need to find some one with a GE to be the "guinea pig"... not sure the GF will voulenteer her 2012

Old 11-16-2012, 03:50 PM
not sure the GF will voulenteer her 2012
This ups the ante quite a bit if she does. Innovate or die may become literal in this situation.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
This ups the ante quite a bit if she does. Innovate or die may become literal in this situation.
ALL too literal!!! Her's is also an auto which would make things a PITA... But there are other GE's in my local club too...

Old 11-16-2012, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
SO, if you use a T3 mani from the R18 like this one
Honda FG/FA Civic R18 T3 EFR IWG Turbo Manifold - Full-Race.com

and a Garret T3 like this
Garrett T3/T04E Turbo - Full-Race.com

the total is still under $2.7K.... not including fuel management, related install costs and tune.... BUT just saying....

Old 11-16-2012, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
...............the total is still under $2.7K.... not including fuel management, related install costs and tune.... BUT just saying....
$2,700 + ~$700 for a Flashpro (whenever they release one for the GE8's).... very interesting.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
OR contact Boomslang for a harness and use an AEM FIC or GReddy Ultimate now and FlashPro when/if/later

Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Huh, 112 views and only comments from us peanut gallery regulars?

Old 11-16-2012, 05:19 PM
You didn't mention a drop, plastic aesthetic bits or rims, and that's where you lost people.

Rookie mistake.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
You didn't mention a drop, plastic aesthetic bits or rims, and that's where you lost people.

Rookie mistake.
Drat... I forgot to title it something like "DEMON CAMBERZ" or "SUPER UBERMEGA(XI) FLUSH"

Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
I don't even have a GE and I've looked at this thread 3 times.

I wouldn't buy this kit, I'd probably have a shop I trust fap up anything that isn't universal and buy quality pieces for everything else.

Cost will likely be higher, but I don't trust eBay stuff.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
I don't even have a GE and I've looked at this thread 3 times.

I wouldn't buy this kit, I'd probably have a shop I trust fap up anything that isn't universal and buy quality pieces for everything else.

Cost will likely be higher, but I don't trust eBay stuff.
Having both bought and sold on Ebay, I do NOT blame you...

But aluminum tubing is aluminum tubing... and even if that down pipe or manifold are only "Eh," its a lot cheaper/easier to walk into said local fabrication shop and ask for a "quality" replacement...

With the only readily available bolt on GD turbo kit being $3500+ and special order, this seems like an albeit "advanced" option to actually boost the GE!

I mean, the charge piping to the intake inlet even attempts to make use of the factory ducting that directs cool air to behind the battery... At least to me that meas some one was awake when they fab'd this thing up...

Old 11-16-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm all about custom and reputable, but as I'm getting pulled further into the Domestic Turbo V8 crowd.. I'm finding an incredible amount of low 9 high 8 second budget ebay builds using crap I never wouldve considered before lol But 4 more cylinders and 4-5 times the displacement with heads that can support a cam with almost an inch of lift you can let the motor do most of the heavy lifting with only a dab of boost.

So IATs are cooler and turbo shaft speed stays low, as a result all the systems are less taxed and make gobs of reliable power as a result..

It's looking more and more like my next toy is going to be a redneck special 87-93 5 speed Fox body and probably a 351 or 393CID small block ford and a very large single turbo. Like a T6 frame PT91 or so.

My thoughts on CXRacing have been put up here before, and they are not kind. The only thing I would've consider even a year ago would be a big cheap intercooler really.

But they are indeed getting better.

Would I trust it on my LSR car? No. Would a low boost/small turbo build be able to get away with using some parts of this kit? Quite likely.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 11-16-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:31 PM
See if you can buy the kit sans turbo and buy something better to mate with it for a price break? Probably only save you $100 or so

DSM, smaller turbo = smaller blades = higher RPM operation even at lower boost? I suppose that would be my concern with a cheap turbo: shaft and blade failure. My turbo knowledge is limited, not sure what it would take for a catastrophic failure that would do major damage? I have seen people using the CX turbos but they were bigger T3/T4 on lower boost on small motors, the only one I've known personally was on a 80's MX6 and it lasted a while (motor went first, no tune, boost spikes lol).

Old 11-17-2012, 12:26 AM
Like I said a proper turbo would be wise, but even at 7psi boost on a T25 or equivalent shaft speed is only in the mid to upper 90k rpm range. Or about half its spec'd max service range.

On very small and light compressor turbine assembly, even crudely balanced, fed oil at a proper volume/pressure with a in-spec drain angle there's no reason it shouldn't work just fine.

For what its worth Lyon's turbo was a chinabay special, with proper oiling and no over-speeding (function of boost) he had no turbo related issues aside from having to port the crap out of the internal wastegate.

But that is good insurance on any internally gated turbo.

Quick Reply: IS this a real GE turbo kit?!