2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

51R Battery Upgrade on my '09 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
51R Battery Upgrade on my '09 Fit

I don't think I've seen this posted before, but if it has, please forgive me for repeating things.

The factory battery finally gave up the ghost and I had decided awhile back that I was going to upgrade to the 51R battery on my GE Fit. Unfortunately, I found that there was no pretty way to shoehorn the 51R in while still making the positive cable/fuse block attach because it would hit the stock intake.

I did some searching around and ended up purchasing a couple of cable adapters from Remy to do the job. I purchased a set of Top Post to Side Terminal Conversion Cables (Item #5505) and a set of Side Terminal to Post Adapters (Item #5515).

The parts arrived a few days later:

The post just screws into the cable:

If you're getting your battery at Costco, this is the one you want:

Tighten the original block onto the post:

Add a zip-tie to keep the post and cable from rotating and working loose from vibrations:

And the secure the adapter cable to the battery post:

The original block sits behind the battery and the positive battery connections remain insulated:

This provides for a nice, clean install and I hope this information helps those of you wanting to make 51R upgrades on your GE Fits.

Last edited by BigWonton; 03-11-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Nice indeed! thanks for sharing!
I dont need to change the battery yet but nice to know that 51R fits!

Do you think if you would get a 51 battery which kinda has terminal reversed you would be able to snap the positive without extensions since there is some room behind the headlight (it's kinda like putting positive clamp on negative 51R sideways)

Looks like you did some research, do you know of any other battery types that would fit in GE? optima yellow top can be really yellow side

Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
What did you do with your battery tray? I just bought the 51R today since my battery is starting to wane and not start up that well.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kitkit201
What did you do with your battery tray? I just bought the 51R today since my battery is starting to wane and not start up that well.
You can either cut the sides off the stock plastic battery tray and set the new battery on it, if you are worried about corrosion on the stock steel battery platform, or as I did, you can buy some thin rubber sheet stock from your local hardware store (like Ace) and use that between the battery and the steel platform.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
You can either cut the sides off the stock plastic battery tray and set the new battery on it, if you are worried about corrosion on the stock steel battery platform, or as I did, you can buy some thin rubber sheet stock from your local hardware store (like Ace) and use that between the battery and the steel platform.
Got pictures of the how the tray looks like ?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
bought the parts and waiting for it to arrive from Remy. I'll post some more pictures when I get everything.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by kitkit201
Got pictures of the how the tray looks like ?
As I said, I used a small sheet of rubber between the battery steel platform and the battery. Didn't cut or use the tray, so my tray looks just like yours.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
damn! I didn't know they had the flexible ones! I would've used that for sure haha. I had to use multiple adapters and I end up with this:

Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Thank you for posting pictures and the link to the parts, I just ordered the parts today and hope to install my new battery by the weekend!

Old 10-26-2013, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
Great post!
Thanks to you I did this today on my 2007 but my positive cable/fuse box could reach the positive terminal on the new battery.
Is there a difference between the 2007 Fit and other years around the battery area?

Old 10-26-2013, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Nice post--thanks for the info

Old 10-26-2013, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by danfost
Great post!
Thanks to you I did this today on my 2007 but my positive cable/fuse box could reach the positive terminal on the new battery.
Is there a difference between the 2007 Fit and other years around the battery area?
Yep. The GD does not require the extended cable. The GE does.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Why not delete the stock (+) clamp and just replace it with a regular cable/clamp?
Lease return issue?

Old 12-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Gashog
Why not delete the stock (+) clamp and just replace it with a regular cable/clamp?
Lease return issue?
Going to try this tomorrow.
Thanks to you, and the OP!

Old 01-05-2015, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BigWonton
I don't think I've seen this posted before, but if it has, please forgive me for repeating things.

The factory battery finally gave up the ghost and I had decided awhile back that I was going to upgrade to the 51R battery on my GE Fit. Unfortunately, I found that there was no pretty way to shoehorn the 51R in while still making the positive cable/fuse block attach because it would hit the stock intake.

I did some searching around and ended up purchasing a couple of cable adapters from Remy to do the job. I purchased a set of Top Post to Side Terminal Conversion Cables (Item #5505) and a set of Side Terminal to Post Adapters (Item #5515).

The parts arrived a few days later:

The post just screws into the cable:

If you're getting your battery at Costco, this is the one you want:

Tighten the original block onto the post:

Add a zip-tie to keep the post and cable from rotating and working loose from vibrations:

And the secure the adapter cable to the battery post:

The original block sits behind the battery and the positive battery connections remain insulated:

This provides for a nice, clean install and I hope this information helps those of you wanting to make 51R upgrades on your GE Fits.
I just want to make sure I understand this.
Did the installation of the Kirkland 51R require no modifications to the Fit? All that you need for this to work are three things: the new battery and the two parts from Remy (a set of top post to side terminal conversion cables and a side terminal to post adapter)?
Or am I missing something?

Old 01-06-2015, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
I think I replied to everybody that sent me PMs.

The battery is still going strong and has not yet died on me (knock on wood). With the factory battery, my wife managed to kill it twice while sitting in a parking lot and listening to the radio. Things have held up and I will be replacing this battery with another 51R when the times comes.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
This is what I will do in the near future. My car is only 1.5 years old and died on me twice already!
Guess that Fit 151R batteries and Canadian winters are not a good match.

Also, dealer won't replace battery as the battery is good, but dies very fast in the cold weather...

Old 01-20-2016, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Frenzal
This is what I will do in the near future. My car is only 1.5 years old and died on me twice already!
Guess that Fit 151R batteries and Canadian winters are not a good match.

Also, dealer won't replace battery as the battery is good, but dies very fast in the cold weather...
I suggest getting the battery tested somewhere other than by the dealer. My 2014 Fit with stock original battery starts in -28C without being plugged in. I use synthetic oil and I live in Winterpeg!

Old 01-21-2016, 05:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by slow
I suggest getting the battery tested somewhere other than by the dealer. My 2014 Fit with stock original battery starts in -28C without being plugged in. I use synthetic oil and I live in Winterpeg!
If I drive the car everyday, it will start with no problem... But as soon as I leave it a couple of days, then it won't start.

First time it happened, I have been away 1 week in vacation last February, car would not start when I came back.
Second time was this week: took the car Saturday, then on Tuesday morning, car would not start...

The stock 151R battery is good when you use the car everyday. If not, this battery is too weak!

Had a couple of 96-00 Civics in the past, which use the 51R battery, and never had that kind of problem...

Old 01-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Frenzal
If I drive the car everyday, it will start with no problem... But as soon as I leave it a couple of days, then it won't start.

First time it happened, I have been away 1 week in vacation last February, car would not start when I came back.
Second time was this week: took the car Saturday, then on Tuesday morning, car would not start...

The stock 151R battery is good when you use the car everyday. If not, this battery is too weak!

Had a couple of 96-00 Civics in the past, which use the 51R battery, and never had that kind of problem...
No question the stock 151R battery is marginal at best. Knock on wood, I have been lucky so far to not have problems when not using my Fit for extended periods (1 to 2 weeks).

Like your Civic, my 2004 Civic with a 51 (not R) battery has also been great in cold weather. Makes me wonder if the 51 (non R) battery could be installed more cleanly in the Fit if placed 90 degrees (long front to back) to what others are doing with a 51R.

Only other thought, is it possible that you have a parasitic load from an aftermarket accessory? I was nervous about my remote start and aftermarket rear view camera, but seem to be OK.

Quick Reply: 51R Battery Upgrade on my '09 Fit