2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Sprintex Supercharger Install

Old 12-18-2013, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
^^The guy from Australia finished his in 6 hours, but I'm sure he had a cleared schedule for it.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by De36
This is the email I got from them Dec 11, 2013:

Hi, Doug.

Our Honda kit is becoming available, now. It produces 5psi of boost and makes about 180hp at the crank. We’ve got a cleaned up tune that is running well on 91 octane gas. No dyno report on it yet, though.

Retail price is $2,995 with the SMT8L PerfectPower tuner included.

These first 12 are spoken for. Contact us again after the first of the year and the second batch should be on the way.

Kind Regards,

Gary Turner
USA Coordinator
This is straight from their FB page on the 13th:

Our 3rd Honda kit is going out today. The rest of these are NOT spoken for. If you would like one, then please give us a shout!
I PM'd them shortly after and yep, the rest are up for grabs. PM them.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdmj0
This is straight from their FB page on the 13th:

I PM'd them shortly after and yep, the rest are up for grabs. PM them.
I just might do that, originally I talked to Mark Ambrosius.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
I am just going to use 2 gallons of toluene to bump to 94 octane and head for the gas station for a quick fill up with ~ 3gallon of premium 93. It is not my intention to use toluene regularly because I don't like the exhaust fume smell and it sticks to your clothes. My Honda Fit is a daily commuter/beater and I cannot go into the office with that awful smell. This would not be the first time that I have used toluene. I used toluene in the past in my MR2 Turbo without any problems during dyno sessions and track days. There is a Sunoco station about 25 miles from my house that have 100 octane 260 GT.

Trip to gas station with 28% toluene
(5 gal * 87 octane) + (2 gal toluene * 114 octane) / 7 gal volume = 94.7 octane

After fill up with 20% toluene
(5 gal * 87 octane) + (2 gal toluene * 114 octane) + (3 gal * 93 octane) / 10 gal volume = 94.2 octane

Sprintex provides a piggy back system with their locked tune. I believe RPM Extreme can tune it. Any tuner that has experience tuning AEM FIC or such can do custom tuning. But you will need the tuning software for Sprintex piggy back system.

Originally Posted by D429302
you should be able to find Toluene at any paint supply store. i wouldnt run too much toluene or for a long period of time as its bad for ur o2/ a/f sensors and CAT Converter. What kind of tunning soloution does this kit come with?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steven Hung
I am just going to use 2 gallons of toluene to bump to 94 octane and head for the gas station for a quick fill up with ~ 3gallon of premium 93. It is not my intention to use toluene regularly because I don't like the exhaust fume smell and it sticks to your clothes. My Honda Fit is a daily commuter/beater and I cannot go into the office with that awful smell. This would not be the first time that I have used toluene. I used toluene in the past in my MR2 Turbo without any problems during dyno sessions and track days. There is a Sunoco station about 25 miles from my house that have 100 octane 260 GT.

Trip to gas station with 28% toluene
(5 gal * 87 octane) + (2 gal toluene * 114 octane) / 7 gal volume = 94.7 octane

After fill up with 20% toluene
(5 gal * 87 octane) + (2 gal toluene * 114 octane) + (3 gal * 93 octane) / 10 gal volume = 94.2 octane

Sprintex provides a piggy back system with their locked tune. I believe RPM Extreme can tune it. Any tuner that has experience tuning AEM FIC or such can do custom tuning. But you will need the tuning software for Sprintex piggy back system.
Maybe it would be easier just to take it easy?

Originally Posted by http://www.sprintex.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/244D1001-Rev-1.00-Honda-Jazz-Kit-Installation-Instructions-2nd-draft-master.pdf
The tune map embedded in the supplementary controller is optimised for 95 RON fuel
(or equivalent).The use of 98 RON fuel (or equivalent) can produce better driveability
and power yield.

If the above fuels are unavailable, it is possible to operate the vehicle using cautious
throttle application (maximum of Ľ throttle), to accelerate to the prescribed road
speeds. If you are aware that fuel grade will be an issue, the temporary and
conservative use of an octane boosting supplement is recommended.
This is just an opinion... but I would just drive "conservatively" to a gas station, pump the highest octane they have... then maybe a little less conservatively for the next few days, pump again and then go from there. Though, I suppose that depends on how fast you go through fuel... from full to near empty takes me only 4 days (I'd run dry in the middle of deliveries on the 5th day).

I normally run BP ultimate/premium/whatever highest rating, which I assume would be just enough to get the job done.

PS, they actually provided the link for the tuning software in the replies on the FB page (Dec 4th).

but I'll post the link here:
http://www.perfectpower.com/software...%20V2.1387.zip
Instruction manual, which they also mentioned:
LetRipp V2 Software User Guide - Content/Index

But I'm clueless about the hardware.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Hopefully they have some available near summertime. I may be interested at that point.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
I am almost done with soldering the wires for the SMT fuel tuner. There seems to be a difference in wiring for the SMT between the Honda Jazz/Fit supercharger kit with optional EGR, 244D1005 and the Honda Jazz/Fit Supercharger kit 244D1001. Wiring for the optional EGR supercharger kit has instruction to T off the A/F sensor signal but it is not in the 244D1001. I wonder if both kits use the same SMT fuel tuner. Even if both kits use the same SMT fuel tuner is the map file shareable between the two kits.

244D1005 – supercharger kit with optional EGR
  • 12v power supply injector
  • Mass Air flow signal
  • Engine coolant Temperature
  • 12v supply for the SMT
  • RPM signal
  • A/F sensor signal
244D1001
  • Mass Air flow signal
  • 12v supply for the SMT
  • RPM signal

It is very difficult to distinguish between the SMT harness pink wire for engine coolant and the temperature SMT harness red wire for12v supply for the SMT. It is only a shade difference. Hopefully I choose the correct one and not blow the 0-5v engine temperature input circuit in the SMT. I used a multimeter to trace the SMT harness red wire to SMT chassis ground. This is the pin out that I got off the SMT_FTX Technical Manual. It would be nice if Sprintex includes the SMT pin out in their installation manual.

SMT Main Connector
1 – +12V Supply, Switch Battery Supply
2 – Freq, Frequency input
3 – Analog 3, Load Signal 3 input
4 – AIRT, Air Temperature input
5 – TPS, Throttle Position input
6 – GND, Signal Ground
7 – Analog 1, Load Signal 1 input
8 – Map Switch, Map Switch Input, Open=high=A
9 – Analog 2, Load Signal input
10 – AMP, Absolute Manifold Pressure input
11 – Eng Temp, Engine Temperature input
12 – AFR, AFR/Lambda input

SMT Injector connector
1 – GND, Chassis Ground
2 – Freq, Frequency output
3 – WB, Wide Band Lambda output
4 – Analog 3, Load Signal 3 output
5 – Analog 1, Load Signal 1 output
6 – Injector 1, Injector drive, 1 AMP
7 – IG, Crank trigger output
8 – IGIN, Crank trigger input
9 – AFR, Narrow Band Lambda output
10 – Analog 2, Load Signal 2 output

Last edited by Steven Hung; 12-20-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
If you don't have one already, get an Ultra-Gauge. Keep an eye on your fuel trims and esspecially your timing. By watching your timing you can determine if the engine is knocking, then you wont have to be in the dark maxing out octane when you may not need to. You could probably knock at 5psi for years with no damage but its worth getting the fuel/tune right. It is the best investment under $100 you could ever make for this application. With an Ultragauge and UEGO you could even tune this bad boy yourself no problem. Also, why on earth does it have an engine coolant temperature pickup? Does it pull timing if the engine starts to overheat? I doubt that is a necessary feature on such a low boost application.

Finally, 3K and you have to solder?

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 12-19-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
subscribed cant wait for videos and more updates
dang i need to pick up some overtime at work now and get this going!

Old 12-20-2013, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
If you don't have one already, get an Ultra-Gauge. Keep an eye on your fuel trims and esspecially your timing. By watching your timing you can determine if the engine is knocking, then you wont have to be in the dark maxing out octane when you may not need to. You could probably knock at 5psi for years with no damage but its worth getting the fuel/tune right. It is the best investment under $100 you could ever make for this application. With an Ultragauge and UEGO you could even tune this bad boy yourself no problem. Also, why on earth does it have an engine coolant temperature pickup? Does it pull timing if the engine starts to overheat? I doubt that is a necessary feature on such a low boost application.

Finally, 3K and you have to solder?
Well, you do have to splice into the wiring harness.

I don't know if you recall, but someone posted something about a company claiming Honda strictly controlled availibilty of the connector plug for the ECU.

I would assume, if the male and female plugs for the ECU were more easy to come by, it would be easier to simply create something to plug between the OE wiring harness and the ECU.

I wonder, could the plug portion be removed from a junk yard donor ecu? Make your own pass through cable.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member
Ultragauge is a good advice for under $100. I would like to watch the EGT as well. But I would need to buy a TR1 response header and weld in an EGT bung.

Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]

Old 12-20-2013, 07:55 AM
You can put an EGT bung in your stock manifold.. and yes timing is pulled with excessive coolant temps. This is done by the Fit (GD/GE and most, if not all EFI cars) from the factory.

I'm a believer in monitoring EGTs on performance applications, the 1G has probes both pre- and post-turbine. The two gauges on the right:
Name:  1Gk_zpscd9a7b82.jpg
Views: 16221
Size:  42.3 KB

I know many folks consider them obsolete now that we have Wideband UEGOs available for private use.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-20-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I know many folks consider them obsolete now that we have Wideband UEGOs available for private use.
Consider what obsolete? Having an EGT and a Wideband?

Old 12-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by De36
Consider what obsolete? Having an EGT and a Wideband?
That EGTs are obsolete now that we have Widebands. A tremendous amount of people have tried to tell me this.

They are best used together as far as I'm concerned.

Just wait till they see the Cylinder Head Temp probe I'm installing later this winter..

Old 12-20-2013, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
I guess I am old school for wanting to watch the EGT. All my older cars, even the normal aspirated have EGT sensor on them. The factory EGT sensor wiring in one of my NA car is stainless steel. Soldering stainless steel is a bitch because you need a stainless steel flux, silver solder and a high soldering iron temperature. Installing a pair of performance header in the car was no fun because the engine bay is tight and both the EGT sensor and the O2 sensors stainless steel wiring have to be extended.

Yeah when I have more time I will install an EGT sensor. There is plenty of room under the Honda Fit engine bay with the Sprintex supercharger. Pulling out the exhaust manifold probably would not be so bad. There will even more room if I get rid of the stock air box and install a DIY air intake.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
That EGTs are obsolete now that we have Widebands. A tremendous amount of people have tried to tell me this.

They are best used together as far as I'm concerned.

Just wait till they see the Cylinder Head Temp probe I'm installing later this winter..
Agreed. EGT's are key to getting the ignition timing perfectly.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:51 PM
+1 EGT

Great even for very mild builds. Lets you know when you have strung out the most you can while keeping a good margin of error/reliability

Old 12-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Steven Hung
I am almost done with soldering the wires for the SMT fuel tuner. There seems to be a difference in wiring for the SMT between the Honda Jazz/Fit supercharger kit with optional EGR, 244D1005 and the Honda Jazz/Fit Supercharger kit 244D1001. Wiring for the optional EGR supercharger kit has instruction to T off the A/F sensor signal but it is not in the 244D1001. I wonder if both kits use the same SMT fuel tuner. Even if both kits use the same SMT fuel tuner is the map file shareable between the two kits.

244D1005 – supercharger kit with optional EGR
  • Mass Air flow signal
  • 12v supply for the SMT
  • RPM signal
  • A/F sensor signal
244D1001
  • Mass Air flow signal
  • 12v supply for the SMT
  • RPM signal

It is very difficult to distinguish between the SMT harness pink wire for engine coolant and the temperature SMT harness red wire for12v supply for the SMT. It is only a shade difference. Hopefully I choose the correct one and not blow the 0-5v engine temperature input circuit in the SMT. I used a multimeter to trace the SMT harness red wire to SMT chassis ground. This is the pin out that I got off the SMT_FTX Technical Manual. It would be nice if Sprintex includes the SMT pin out in their installation manual.

SMT Main Connector
1 – +12V Supply, Switch Battery Supply
2 – Freq, Frequency input
3 – Analog 3, Load Signal 3 input
4 – AIRT, Air Temperature input
5 – TPS, Throttle Position input
6 – GND, Signal Ground
7 – Analog 1, Load Signal 1 input
8 – Map Switch, Map Switch Input, Open=high=A
9 – Analog 2, Load Signal input
10 – AMP, Absolute Manifold Pressure input
11 – Eng Temp, Engine Temperature input
12 – AFR, AFR/Lambda input

SMT Injector connector
1 – GND, Chassis Ground
2 – Freq, Frequency output
3 – WB, Wide Band Lambda output
4 – Analog 3, Load Signal 3 output
5 – Analog 1, Load Signal 1 output
6 – Injector 1, Injector drive, 1 AMP
7 – IG, Crank trigger output
8 – IGIN, Crank trigger input
9 – AFR, Narrow Band Lambda output
10 – Analog 2, Load Signal 2 output

Hi, all. My name is Gary and I work for SprintexUSA. I've talked to a few of you on the phone, Facebook, and at SEMA. Now that our product is ready to go, we'll be making a bit more noise. I'm really just here for tech support. The mods already know. If you want to buy a system, talk to Jon at RPM Extreme. Your local dyno shop should be able to help you out for an exact custom tune if needed.

These first kits have an unlocked tuner box. The CARB kits will be locked, from the looks of things. I'm not actually privy to political developments. Thankfully, I just get to concentrate on what I like which is the manufacturing and technical end.

Here is the manual for the SMT-8L. Any tuner worth their salt can work with it. These units have been around for 10+ years. Myself and many others have cut their teeth on piggybacks such as this. Page 4 has the wiring diagram in question.

http://www.perfectpower.com/product_...cal_Manual.pdf

We'll get a FAQ together for you guys in a little bit.

There's 5 kits out there now in the USA. We've got 7 left here in OKC. Part of what took so long was setting up our new manufacturing facility in Malaysia. It has good legs and has been running for almost a year. As we ramp up production, we'll be getting these systems in batches of 10. The next batch should be here in January.

Outside of that, I don't want to derail Steven's thread. There will be a few more threads popping up from the other 4 initial systems that went out the door. We'll get the FAQ built and keep it simple and direct.

Cheers!

Old 12-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by SprintexUSA
The CARB kits will be locked, from the looks of things. I'm not actually privy to political developments.
CARB kit you say?

I guess i'm in on this one then, locked or not hassle free emissions testing would be the only way i'd do this. I guess i'm saving up or selling organs.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
CARB kit you say?

I guess i'm in on this one then, locked or not hassle free emissions testing would be the only way i'd do this. I guess i'm saving up or selling organs.
I don't know when it'll be done, just so you know. My best guess is sometime in the summer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sprintex Supercharger Install