2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

pistons question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 08:49 PM
Smile

Its 250 Hp not WHP.i do intend on installing HKS forged rods and metal gaskets later on.i dont want engine swap.mine is sort of experiment for retaining some economy and adding power when needed. fact is due to hybrid my RPM's dont even cross 2000/min in daily city drive even upto 100Km/h speeds.so i wont be in boost most of times.it will be used like NOS,but with exception of always being there and no tention for refills..
My limiting factor is not engine but the fact that how much torque CVT chain can take.(i am installing transmission cooler with my setup). and due to idle stop feature hard launches are also out of question,so again my cvt is safe from that point too.
Just waiting for my turbo.i will create a new build thread for that.
meanwhile here are links to some good pistons,rods,gaskets,cams etc for GD,GE and even GK and CRZ.because GK also has same bore and stroke.
Rods and pistons
HKS pistons 551$
Cp pistons 653$ ( some cp pistons are 73.5 and 74 mm ,i dont understand how they can fit into 73 mm bore,can any one tell me,i have searched but could not find satisfactory answer)
K1 rods 347$
Cp pistons 9.1 compression ratio 653$
HKS gaskets 157$ ( 8.4 and 8.7 compression ratio! heaven for boosting)
HKS rods 703$
HKS pistons and rod set combined 1100$
Je pistons 570$
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiseco-Pistons-Kit-73-00mm-CR-10-Honda-L15A-VTEC-Fit-Jazz-City-1-5L-K637M73-/371257941915?hash=item5670b29f9b&vxp=mtr 480$-550$

i hope it helps others

Last edited by Fit Hybrid RS 2012; 08-13-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:12 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
The hks stuff is big dollar but definitely quality parts. I saw a full crz build with all hks internals and it was impressive but not wallet friendly.

If you are somewhat budgeted, look into running je, wiseco, or cp pistons for an l15a1. All the companies have a compression option for turbo vs na build and you can get them with standard bore sizes. All the pistons have the same design between the l15a1, l15a7, and LEA motor due to the head having a 26cc pentaroof design. I would much rather prefer a dish in the piston to lower compression rather then lifting the head higher off the block thus creating a greater potential for a blown gasket.

As for connecting rods I have seen k1, skunk2, brian crower clubman, and if you are running big numbers pauter. They all have the same specs between the three motors.

As for head gasket, I would keep the stock unit and use arp head studs to hold the head in place.

to answer your question about the cp piston 73.5 and 74mm... They don't try to shove that size piston into the stock bore. those are plus sizes for guys who bore out the cylinder +0.5mm or +1.0mm. CP makes a stock 73mm bore piston.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:39 AM
Thanks@kylerwho for tips.i have updated my previous post with more links.
Yup HKS rods are expensive 700$! but their pistons are 100$ cheaper than CP. HKS 551$ vs Cp 653$.
beafore your suggestion for the head bolts,they were on my top priorities already but could not find any for our models.as you suggested i looked at arp ones but those are also not specific to our model.are you mentioninghttp://www.ebay.com/itm/ARP-Honda-1-5L-L15-SOHC-4Cyl-Cylinder-Head-Stud-Kit-208-4308-/221634931746?hash=item339a78ac22&vxp=mtror these ? these are 160$ per head bolt or price is for all heads?becasue the in packing only i can see are 4 bolts ??
So i need upgrade just Rods?
i can afford rods,gasket and head bolts.pistons not now may be.
can OEM gaskets withstand the extra heat produced by boosting with a turbo? i know the tune matters a lot for that but i am confident that my tuner will tune right and i wont have knocking problems.he is a professional,but asking for 480$ for just tune! man i wish i knew how to tune..
Most important question again,will lowering compression ratio needs ECU tune? i know when in boost AEM will retartd the timing but when not in boost will OEM ecu advance the timings to adjust for low compression ratio or will it run pig rich with less power :P or is pistons and gaskets are one of those plug and play things not needing any tune?(i am only concerned because AEM only retartd not advance timing)

Last edited by Fit Hybrid RS 2012; 08-13-2015 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:39 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
arp 208-4308 is the part number for the L series motor head stud kit. It contains all the head bolts and washers and nuts.

any time you lower or raise compression it is a good idea to get it tuned but you can get away with running it on a stock ecu. The ecu only recognizes maf, knock and air/fuel ratios and can adjust the fuel and timing according to outputs from those three signals.

If I were you I would order what you can now and wait until you have all the parts you need. That will lower the down town of the engine and lower your costs since you will only have to tear the motor open once.

The hks pistons may seem cheaper but just wait until you look into shipping.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:52 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by kylerwho
arp 208-4308 is the part number for the L series motor head stud kit. It contains all the head bolts and washers and nuts.

any time you lower or raise compression it is a good idea to get it tuned but you can get away with running it on a stock ecu. The ecu only recognizes maf, knock and air/fuel ratios and can adjust the fuel and timing according to outputs from those three signals.

If I were you I would order what you can now and wait until you have all the parts you need. That will lower the down town of the engine and lower your costs since you will only have to tear the motor open once.

The hks pistons may seem cheaper but just wait until you look into shipping.
nice.now i have estimate and links of all things.my turbo is about to reach.i am concermed about aem wiring.because crz guys using hondata.once my turbo runs ok on oem engine than i will have piece of mind to order forged internals
i hope AEM fic doest mess with IMA

Old 08-13-2015, 09:51 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Pull the center console and see what ecu code you have. It may be possible that Hondata supports your ecu since the engine is the same as the crz.

If not then talk to the guys at boomslang for a jumper harness.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:58 AM
already contacted hondata.they say engine may be same but ecu are different.same thing about harness.how do u guys wire? car usal manual has ecu wiring diagram?
coz mine did't come with usal manual.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:36 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Get yourself a factory service manual and start from there. Nobody enjoys wiring.