2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

[Explaoratory] '15 6-speed swap into GE8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
[Explaoratory] '15 6-speed swap into GE8?

Just saw a review of the new '15's. Several things on them that I wish my '10 had. The main one though is the addition of a 6-speed!
My GE8 is a MT...so wondering first...is the 6-speed even bolt pattern compatible? If it is, are there any major roadblocks for a swap? Any idea of what the actual tranny costs (no jokes please )

...and because I know someone is going to ask - I want one for the sake of lowering highway speed revs, which reduces engine noise, leading to a quieter highway drive. Not looking for more power or performance or fuel savings.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ck42
Just saw a review of the new '15's. Several things on them that I wish my '10 had. The main one though is the addition of a 6-speed!
My GE8 is a MT...so wondering first...is the 6-speed even bolt pattern compatible? If it is, are there any major roadblocks for a swap? Any idea of what the actual tranny costs (no jokes please )

...and because I know someone is going to ask - I want one for the sake of lowering highway speed revs, which reduces engine noise, leading to a quieter highway drive. Not looking for more power or performance or fuel savings.
Then you're gonna be disappointed. 6th gear in the GK is roughly equal to the GE's 5th gear.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Argh....you're right. VERY disappointing. Thanks though.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:07 AM
at least we know the differential between the two is interchangable. Cusco's LSD is listed as fitting both.

you want a quieter drive? pop the door panels off and spray a few layers of plastidip over the plastic and metal inside. It shaves a bit of the road noise.

Next mod is better tires then factory.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Yea...regarding the sound proofing topic - This is something that I'd really like to do...but before I proceeded, I'd really like to have a more concrete idea how much deadening the different installation areas provide.
I'm simply not going to take the shotgun approach on this and buy all the materials...tear my car apart, spend HOURS installing...and hope that I get my car back together in time when I need to drive it. Yea, it'd probably work great, but not gonna happen.

What I'd LOVE to find here is someone who installed sections at a time...and different sound deadening technologies at at time. Something that would look like this:

Left front Door only - Closed cell foam only - Reduced 1.2dB
Left front Door only - Closed cell foam and (XYZ mat material) - 2.7dB
Left front Door only - Foam+mat+CLD tiles - 3.6dB

Left front+rear door - repeat above
etc. etc....

and then continue that sort of pattern for the various areas of the car.

This way, I could see where I'd gain the greatest noise reduction...and could plan things so that I could slowly work my way through either the 'easiest' to install areas first or the most effective areas first. I could then also make an informed decision as to how much 'tech' I want to throw my money at. I know, I know...I'm an anal PITA.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Ear plugs are cheap. They are easily installed and removed when not needed + they weigh next to nothing and won't slow you down.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:05 PM
GK into GD

Hello,
I'm new to the neighborhood. I have a few questions. I have a 2008 Honda Fit Sport, Manual tranny with over 320,000 miles. This is my daily. I can get my hands on a 2016 Honda Fit motor, manual tranny and computer for $900 from a yard (with 12k miles).

1. Will the 2016 motor fit in my GD?
2. Mine is a VTEC and so is the donor car, which is good, but does it matter if its a DSI or VTEC (There was another one there with 6k miles, but DSI)?
3. Will this just be a plug and play?
4. HAS ANYONE EVEN DONE THIS? It's worthwhile for me cuz it's going to cost way too much to fix all that needs to be fixed on my current Fit. And no I don't want to do a K swap, cuz I really don't have the $$ for that.

NOTE: Bearing in my tranny is going out (again, first time at 90k miles and now at 320k miles) and I don't feel like poppin' her open again. My clutch is going to give soon too, I can feel it.
I'm thinking of this swap because I just got new tires, replaced all bushings and new suspensions (about 15k miles ago). The body has one tiny door ding and the paint still shines. Bluebook is really low, I can't even get my money back for the new parts that are on the car, so I'd rather keep her and do a swap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Fitdadof2
Hello,
I'm new to the neighborhood. I have a few questions. I have a 2008 Honda Fit Sport, Manual tranny with over 320,000 miles. This is my daily. I can get my hands on a 2016 Honda Fit motor, manual tranny and computer for $900 from a yard (with 12k miles).

1. Will the 2016 motor fit in my GD?
2. Mine is a VTEC and so is the donor car, which is good, but does it matter if its a DSI or VTEC (There was another one there with 6k miles, but DSI)?
3. Will this just be a plug and play?
4. HAS ANYONE EVEN DONE THIS? It's worthwhile for me cuz it's going to cost way too much to fix all that needs to be fixed on my current Fit. And no I don't want to do a K swap, cuz I really don't have the $$ for that.

NOTE: Bearing in my tranny is going out (again, first time at 90k miles and now at 320k miles) and I don't feel like poppin' her open again. My clutch is going to give soon too, I can feel it.
I'm thinking of this swap because I just got new tires, replaced all bushings and new suspensions (about 15k miles ago). The body has one tiny door ding and the paint still shines. Bluebook is really low, I can't even get my money back for the new parts that are on the car, so I'd rather keep her and do a swap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The new engines are direct injection so I would not expect it to be a plug and play swap. More than likely there are differences in the rest of the fuel system to push a higher pressure, and I bet the ECU is more complex. I don't know the extent of CANBUS integration in the GK but that could pose an issue as well.

Basically it would likely all bolt up, but I imagine that's where the hard part would begin. I don't think it has been done yet.