2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Issue with blocking off EGR Valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
Issue with blocking off EGR Valve

Does anyone know if there are any issues with blocking off the EGR valve with block off plate? I am aware of high NOx emission and CEL.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
Elevated combustion chamber temps....could lead to coking (sludge) in the upper head areas

Spark knock, leading to decreased timing advance (knock sensor) and reduced power and economy at part throttle

Decreased gas mileage...the biggest downside IMO

Emissions/NOx increase/possible fuel calculation errors depending on programming

The big question, in all seriousness: WHY do you think you want to disable the EGR?

Old 01-07-2016, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
I thought the EGR valve is strictly for emission compliant in the USA market. There are other region outside the USA that doesn't have EGR valve. Has anyone done this to US spec Honda FIT and not run into issues? I am looking at KTuner for tuning option and it has the ability to disable the EGR related CEL. This looks as something reasonable to do. EGR valve is not exactly cheaper. Sooner or later it will have to be replaced.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
I thought the EGR valve is strictly for emission compliant in the USA market.
Instead of using it as a major emissions control device as in the past, most manufacturers are using it to gain gas mileage these days, as it has the ability to reduce pumping losses. Every little bit counts.
There are other region outside the USA that doesn't have EGR valve. Has anyone done this to US spec Honda FIT and not run into issues?
I can't answer that one.

I personally would leave it in place operating as designed, as it does not affect maximum power output in the least. The EGR is never in use at wide open throttle, it is primarily used during very light acceleration and steady cruise conditions.

Sooner or later it will have to be replaced.
That would surprise me, they have been a very low failure item in my area. I can't remember ever replacing one on a Fit at my dealer shop.

Besides, if it does happen to cause problems later in the cars life, you should be able to tweak programming fairly easily to eliminate it.

Again, JMHO and YMMV.
HTH

Last edited by ezone; 01-07-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
there are definitely non-egr intake manifolds out there (I was trying to get my hands on one). I think it is important to note that honda is not just blocking off the EGR, they have a separate casting that does away with that entire egr bar that runs across all 4 of the runners.

I would already be trying this but you need to be able to turn off some flags in the tune or you will never get rid of that CEL. I asked early on when KTuner released about the possibility of that and if I remember correctly, the options weren't entirely available at that time.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steven Hung
Has anyone done this to US spec Honda FIT and not run into issues?
Yes! I have done this on a 2015 Fit though. No issues! I do have a CEL for low EGR flow though. I am waiting for the Ktuner to be fully available for the 2015 Fit so this can be disabled.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
EGR significantly HELPS power in some part throttle and cold start situations.
Its less important on EFI than Carbureted motors though.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
From my experience with my Subaru, EGR is strictly an emissions thing and bad for anyone looking into performance. Recirculating exhaust fumes back into the intake valves leads to increased intake temps and dirty valves. Moreover, this can create higher possibilities of knock due to the instant temperature increase.

IDK if Honda attempts to cool these fumes with coolant, but my WRX does and it does almost nothing. LOL! Logging intake temps, one can see when the EGR is open as the intake temps increase drastically.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
With my scanner I can watch the EGR opening percentage and on the FIT it CLOSES just about whenever you touch the throttle beyond just holding cruise. So for power purposes, it should be a non issue unless your running boost, if you are you can back-feed unless the EGR circuit has a check valve..

I have a 07 Fit sport Auto fwiw..

Old 07-18-2016, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Hi Guys, Since we're on the topic of the EGR, does anyone know, or have access to, what pin it is on the ECM wiring harness? I installed the supercharger and got the EGR engine light, as well as the Vtec oil pressure sensor light. I'm pretty sure the wiring harness that came with the kit is faulty, so I'm sure knowing what terminal it is on the stock harness would help me to decipher if the harness is causing it. It's clear that the harness is causing the other light however. There isn't even a pin or wire installed in the proper terminal for the Vtec Oil Pressure sensor in the Sprintex wiring harness. I ordered a pin to install. Going to try to do it this weekend. I figured that I'd try to see if the EGR has a similar issue or a mismatched wire or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks guys!
Brian

Old 07-19-2016, 12:27 PM
I had both issues with my Sprintex PnP harness. The vtec oil pressure sensor light is from a mispinned wire.

Repinning it fixed that. I'm sure the EGR is an issue with the harness too, but i didn't stay on the PnP long enough to troubleshoot it.

For the vtec oil it was this.

It was the green connector.
Connector C ( Cirlce) 49 Pin
Terminal 22
Blue Wire
Good luck!

Old 07-20-2016, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Boostedtaco
I had both issues with my Sprintex PnP harness. The vtec oil pressure sensor light is from a mispinned wire.

Repinning it fixed that. I'm sure the EGR is an issue with the harness too, but i didn't stay on the PnP long enough to troubleshoot it.

For the vtec oil it was this.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info! I'm going to try to tackle it this weekend for sure. I'd love to try to figure out that EGR wiring too while I've got the harness out. Maybe I'll trace the wires from one end to the other to see if any of it doesn't line up.

Thanks again!
Brian

Old 07-27-2016, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
My EGR valve went bad at 159K miles. Car has difficulties cold starting, idles rough and P0401 DTC. Cleaning the EGR valve, the port and the passage didn't help at all. I didn't want to spend $170 for a new one. So I delete the EGR valve and installed a $23 block off plate. Both cold starting difficulties and rough idle went away. CEL is the bad part that can be fixed with KTuner. I have not experience any driveability issue yet with a short quick 5 miles test drive.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Cool. Where'd you get the plate? And what about emissions testing?

Old 07-28-2016, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
I got the block off plate from https://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/BWR-BWAC-0106.html
There is no emission testing in Tampa FL.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:37 PM
There is no emission testing in Tampa FL.
Thanks for the link. And I'm jealous of the no emission testing.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
My EGR valve went bad at 159K miles. Car has difficulties cold starting, idles rough and P0401 DTC. Cleaning the EGR valve, the port and the passage didn't help at all. I didn't want to spend $170 for a new one. So I delete the EGR valve and installed a $23 block off plate. Both cold starting difficulties and rough idle went away. CEL is the bad part that can be fixed with KTuner. I have not experience any driveability issue yet with a short quick 5 miles test drive.
Hi,
any problems so far after blocking off the EGR?
I just did the same thing just now and want to know in advance of any problems. Thanks