2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 2nd Gen GE8 Honda Fit

DIY: 2012+ JDP Honda Fit Front Lip

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 04:04 AM
5 Year Member
DIY: 2012+ JDP Honda Fit Front Lip

So, I am part of the first bunch to get the new 2012 JDP lip for the Fit. In all honesty, I was fairly skeptical in jumping on considering the extra work needed to fit lips on previous years. Nonetheless, I wanted my 2012 to be slightly different from others here.

I'm quite the novice so I had a friend of mine from CR3 Motorsports come by to help with the install. I tried to add as much pictures as possible as I'm more of a visual-representation kind of guy rather than text. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

-----------
Useful information:
Front Bumper Removal:
(skip to page 3)
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins.../foglights.pdf

(some picture references, in case those that I post don't cover it enough).
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...placement.html

(to remove the foglights)
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...s-answers.html

-----------

Got the package fairly fast (2-4 days).

I don't have pictures of the packaging. But it came fairly well wrapped and no cracks from transportation. Also came with 8 bolts/washers/nuts to replace the stock clips from the deflector. Here are the instructions:

So first up, we needed to remove the bumper. I don't have pictures from this process, but I posted 3 links above that helped with removing the bumper. First, remove the cowl above the grille (use the collegehillshonda link). Then Remove all of the screws/clips from the inside of the fender (x2 for each side) and underneath the bumper (a total of 4 self-tapping screws and 5 clips). Another tip: Move your wheels all the way to one-side in order to access the two fender screws much easier.

My advice, after taking out all of the clips and screws, start from the fender of each side and pop the 3 tabs. Once those are popped, grab from underneath the bumper (where the foglights go) and hold firmly the fender portion and yank a bit forcefully straight out. These are the tabs from the headlights you're pulling from:

Here's a picture of the under-side of the bumper (left side). Furthest hole is the short-clip. The next hole to the left of it is the self-tapping screw. We used a trash can to prop up the bumper, rather than putting it on a towel on the floor. Helped to take off/mount.

Mounted the lip onto the bumper:

Before mounting it, we taped off all of the tabbed parts of the under-lip that would need to be drilled. This helped two-fold: To easily notice markings of where to drill when marked with a sharpie; and to prevent cracking of the FG when drilling.

Unfortunately, the pre-drilled holes on the lip does not match the short-clip mounting points. This required us to drill into the front bumper. I was a bit disappointed. I thought that JDP would have learned from previous lips to get the correct mounting point with this new lip. Oh well, drill-away we did. We used a 7/64 for the pilot hole, then a 1/4" for the real hole.

After we got the bumper drilled, it was on to drilling the lip.

Things always go better with a smile Next, all we had to do was line-up the lip to the holes and use the included bolts/nuts/washers that came with the lip.

Just a reminder when putting the cowl back on to make sure it goes under the grill first, then lay it down:

And enjoy the after pictures:

The only thing, and this may be an error on our part, but the left part of the lip does not line well with the fender. Actually, pre-drilling and what-not, the left-side tabs of the lip were much further off than the right side. I'm not sure what happened in the process, but the left-size was much less aligned than the right. This leads the lip to not reach the back of the bumper to the fender wall and there is a gap between the lip and the fender.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
+rep to u. will be using this when i get mine in a few months.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Nice write up!
Is that a huge rat I see in the back digging through your stuff?! (in your smile pic)

Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by unethikl
Nice write up!
Is that a huge rat I see in the back digging through your stuff?! (in your smile pic)
Haha no. It's a weird reflection off my stock tail lamps.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:38 AM
hey howsit braddah! nice install. the lip looks dope man.. we should get a cruise going so we can check it out!

Old 11-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Yeah that fender part, the lip has to be real tight on.

Only complain I have is that my lip is turning white in some parts

Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Great pictures! Not too much info on this lip on the other thread.

Question, on the area where the lip contacts the front bumper in the front, is it a direct contact? Or is there a rubber gasket/trip there?

Old 11-20-2012, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andycampero1
Yeah that fender part, the lip has to be real tight on.

Only complain I have is that my lip is turning white in some parts
I'll definitely take it off to re-align. I'll most likely need to re-drill too.

Have you applied a wax that also protects against UVA/B? It was one of the first things I did and it's still looking good.

Originally Posted by shamoo
Great pictures! Not too much info on this lip on the other thread.

Question, on the area where the lip contacts the front bumper in the front, is it a direct contact? Or is there a rubber gasket/trip there?
No gasket or rubber. People have taken door trim rubber since the edges aren't closed. And depending on the lip, it can be fairly tight or loose. Mine is a good fit. I could fit it a bit more snug.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:42 AM
Howsit bra! Aloha just seeing where you got that front lip from where do you order from Mahalo
Originally Posted by jdmj0
So, I am part of the first bunch to get the new 2012 JDP lip for the Fit. In all honesty, I was fairly skeptical in jumping on considering the extra work needed to fit lips on previous years. Nonetheless, I wanted my 2012 to be slightly different from others here.

I'm quite the novice so I had a friend of mine from CR3 Motorsports come by to help with the install. I tried to add as much pictures as possible as I'm more of a visual-representation kind of guy rather than text. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

-----------
Useful information:
Front Bumper Removal:
(skip to page 3)
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins.../foglights.pdf

(some picture references, in case those that I post don't cover it enough).
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...placement.html

(to remove the foglights)
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...s-answers.html

-----------

Got the package fairly fast (2-4 days).

I don't have pictures of the packaging. But it came fairly well wrapped and no cracks from transportation. Also came with 8 bolts/washers/nuts to replace the stock clips from the deflector. Here are the instructions:

So first up, we needed to remove the bumper. I don't have pictures from this process, but I posted 3 links above that helped with removing the bumper. First, remove the cowl above the grille (use the collegehillshonda link). Then Remove all of the screws/clips from the inside of the fender (x2 for each side) and underneath the bumper (a total of 4 self-tapping screws and 5 clips). Another tip: Move your wheels all the way to one-side in order to access the two fender screws much easier.

My advice, after taking out all of the clips and screws, start from the fender of each side and pop the 3 tabs. Once those are popped, grab from underneath the bumper (where the foglights go) and hold firmly the fender portion and yank a bit forcefully straight out. These are the tabs from the headlights you're pulling from:

Here's a picture of the under-side of the bumper (left side). Furthest hole is the short-clip. The next hole to the left of it is the self-tapping screw. We used a trash can to prop up the bumper, rather than putting it on a towel on the floor. Helped to take off/mount.

Mounted the lip onto the bumper:

Before mounting it, we taped off all of the tabbed parts of the under-lip that would need to be drilled. This helped two-fold: To easily notice markings of where to drill when marked with a sharpie; and to prevent cracking of the FG when drilling.

Unfortunately, the pre-drilled holes on the lip does not match the short-clip mounting points. This required us to drill into the front bumper. I was a bit disappointed. I thought that JDP would have learned from previous lips to get the correct mounting point with this new lip. Oh well, drill-away we did. We used a 7/64 for the pilot hole, then a 1/4" for the real hole.

After we got the bumper drilled, it was on to drilling the lip.

Things always go better with a smile Next, all we had to do was line-up the lip to the holes and use the included bolts/nuts/washers that came with the lip.

Just a reminder when putting the cowl back on to make sure it goes under the grill first, then lay it down:

And enjoy the after pictures:

The only thing, and this may be an error on our part, but the left part of the lip does not line well with the fender. Actually, pre-drilling and what-not, the left-side tabs of the lip were much further off than the right side. I'm not sure what happened in the process, but the left-size was much less aligned than the right. This leads the lip to not reach the back of the bumper to the fender wall and there is a gap between the lip and the fender.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:43 AM
Sorry I'm new at this but I didn't mean to repost that but it's cool I guess right anyway I was just seeing where you got that front lip from Aloha

Old 10-17-2013, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mic Tre
Sorry I'm new at this but I didn't mean to repost that but it's cool I guess right anyway I was just seeing where you got that front lip from Aloha
I got it during the initial group buy (10 people) from JDP directly. I'm not sure if he's even making these anymore, muchless anything.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Where do you buy JDP Parts???

Old 07-30-2014, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stubby
JDP Engineering :: Products -- "Design & Innovation with Precision"

You can try to e-mail him, but unless you live in California, I have a feeling it'd be hard to acquire a piece.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Stubby
try vividracing.com call them they can order them for you