2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 2nd Gen GE8 Honda Fit

CRZ Aero engine under panel installed on my Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not 100% sure but I doubt the CR-Z shield would create any issues with heating. It looks like there's a gap towards the rear which in theory it helps draws hot air out as shown below (for the Beatrush underpanel).

Those who installed the Beatrush underpanel actually saw lower temps, however that panel/shield has vents/louvres in addition to the gap in the rear. ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...nderpanel.html

From what people who have either shield on their cars have said it only takes a few minutes to remove the few screws/clips that hold it in place. The Beatrush is a little more expensive though at ~ $150 (depending on yen/usd), plus shipping from Japan... more if you buy it from a US dealer.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Beatrush Aluminum UnderPanel 2009+ Honda Fit, CR-Z

238 bucks it seems. Correct me if I'm wrong but the car on their image does not look like a GE8 (CRZ maybe?).

Also, if the image shown is infact a GE8, if you click on image number 3, it looks like the side engine panel is missing (probably has to be removed when installing the Beatrush under panel). If it does need to be removed, I think I'll pass buying this one because I'm worried that things that get kicked up by the front tires might end up going into the engine bay (rocks that could get lodged between the pulley and serp. belt etc.).

Edit: If someone really wants/likes the Beatrush under panel, there is a thread showing how to trim the stock side/under panel so that one could still retain the side panels while having the Beatrush under panel. Although the thread is for a GD3, it's a good reference to use for the GE8. Page 2 post #31 by FF member wdb.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...erpanel-2.html

Last edited by onemiglandicho; 01-31-2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
Kami speed has decent prices for a US distributor, but since I've found out about buying from rakuten using tenso as a freight forwarder, it's much cheaper to do it that way (14,000yen plus forwarding/shipping fees, no more than $200 shipped, depending on yen/usd rates)... DIY: How to order parts from Japanese websites - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

According to Laile (Beatrush), it appears to be the same for both cars ¡Ú³ÚÅ·»Ô¾ì¡ÛBeatrush ¥¢¥ó¥À¡¼¥Ñ¥Í¥ë ¥Û¥ó¥À ¥¤¥ó¥µ¥¤¥È [ZE2]¡¢¥Õ¥£¥Ã¥È [GE8]¡¢CR-Z [ZF1] ¡ÚÁ÷ÎÁ̵ÎÁ¡Û LAILE ¥ì¥¤¥ë Marathon05P02feb13 ¡Úfsp2124¡Û¡§¥ì¥¤¥ë¥â¡¼¥¿¡¼¥¹¥Ý¡¼¥Ä

wdb described his install process in this post https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/479897-post31.html and he shows how to retain the side panels as well with a simple modification.

This is all on a GD3 if I'm not mistaken, it should be similar on a GE8. Laile includes the mounting hardware required for our longer USDM, and there are holes on the under panel for JDM & longer USDM versions.

I was set on the CR-Z panel, and it's a GREAT solution to our GE8's not having any shield at all.

edit.. I see you found wdb's posts.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
^^^ Hehehe found it after my initial post.

Looks like you got it down on on how to buy it cheaper.

When you say they provide the hardware necessary for USDM Fits, did you mean for GD3 only or for both?

Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

On the GD3 there was some extention pieces.

On the GE8 mounting hardware pictured below I believe they are a different format, but same function.

You can also see the 2 sets of 2 holes closest to the bottom of the panel (rear of the car) for the different JDM/USDM installs according to USDM owners who have installed it (from the pic in the previous post). I can't find it now, but I believe there's an install guide on the Laile page on rakuten (in Japanese ofcourse, but its got quite a few pics).

I wished I found out earlier about rakuten/tenso... would've saved a few $$ on my previous JDM orders.

The CR-Z panel is also less expensive at ~$40 + shipping... I wonder if the Insight panel would be a better fit as mentioned by the OP.
Sorry Mini Odyssey to sidetrack your thread... Great job again on installing the CR-Z shield on a USDM GE8.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
I see. yup, looks like I'll end up going the OEM CRZ panel route. It's way cheaper.

Thanks.

Last but not the least, a big thanks to Mini Odyssey!!! I'm now highly considering this because of you..

Old 01-31-2013, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
I really cant tell, i mean since Ive owned this car Ive only heard the electric fan come on once and that's because i turned on the AC, so i don't think its making it run that much hotter if any. It does however do a much better job keeping the engine bay clean then not having one. I do want to install a water temp gauge one day just to see what sort of water temps this car runs.
Get yourself an Ultragauge -- it reports coolant temp plus anything else that the OBD2 port reports. You'll find that the blue low temp dash light turns off at about 53 C and the normal operating temp of the engine in steady state is about 83 C.

I plan to install this CRZ undertray and am also keen to see what impact it has on engine temp.

Last edited by Spitfire; 01-31-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM
I should be doing a write up this weekend, im going to be installing one on one of my buddies 12' Sport.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Not a bad investment for up to 1mpg improvement!

Old 02-03-2013, 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by shftat8
Not a bad investment for up to 1mpg improvement!
True. I did the math when this was first posted, I believe the ROI was ~30K miles.

Mini Odyssey have you noticed any increase in engine noise? I would think an underpanel would have to redirect engine noise in another direction. Our cars are noisy enough as is and would hate to raise cabin noise, especcially on long drives when cruising at 4K RPM and higher.

_

Old 02-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
True. I did the math when this was first posted, I believe the ROI was ~30K miles.

Mini Odyssey have you noticed any increase in engine noise? I would think an underpanel would have to redirect engine noise in another direction. Our cars are noisy enough as is and would hate to raise cabin noise, especcially on long drives when cruising at 4K RPM and higher.

_

No noticeable increase in noise that Ive noticed. What would be a interesting experiment is to start 2 identicle fits at the same time with a fan in the front and see which one has the engine fan kicking on first, with or without engine cover. OK maybe that wont be too accurate or scientific.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Nice simple mod, I like it

Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 AM
No noticeable increase in noise that Ive noticed. What would be a interesting experiment is to start 2 identicle fits at the same time with a fan in the front and see which one has the engine fan kicking on first, with or without engine cover. OK maybe that wont be too accurate or scientific.
Actually after posting I was thinking the opposite, that the cover might possibly make the car quieter since the majority of noise we get is road and tire noise. The cover could insulate some of that.

_

Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Actually after posting I was thinking the opposite, that the cover might possibly make the car quieter since the majority of noise we get is road and tire noise. The cover could insulate some of that.

_

I haven't noticed any less noise or more. The biggest improvement in noise reduction was the cargo cover and the better Hankook V2 tires. Ill be working on adding sound insulation around various parts of the car with additional weatherstripping to see if i can get noise down slightly lower.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 PM
rav
5 Year Member
any update on the write up?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
If anybody has the balls to order the European part 74110-TF0-G00 there looks to be a Japanese install (Link Below). With Google translator I can't really tell if that's the part number they used in the install for sure, but the part number pulls up on Lings Honda Parts website from England. GE

Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, I'm a bit surprised that the USDM Fit doesn't come with this piece... It's not even like they're saving millions in production costs eliminating such a tiny little component like that.

Are there any long-term owners who can speak about corrosion issues in the engine compartment? I'm definitely going to order this piece because I can't see driving around all winter just letting salt and snow fly into my engine bay.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM
glad I saw this, thanks!

Old 10-07-2014, 03:40 AM
Nice mod! Anyone fitted on a JDM/Euro bumper one of these yet? Would there be any fitting difference USDM bumper size vs JDM/EU?

Old 10-07-2014, 06:21 AM
crz undercover

There really isn't where else significant to shield up, the bottom on this car is actually pretty well flat and smooth to begin with and the spare tire well area already seems to have a aero cover in the center rear. I wonder if export model Fits have a center engine cover? I see preexisting holes and mounting locations already so im wondering if only USA models come open like this.
I live in south africa and my 2013 jazz also doesn't have the centre piece . I am also going to look into fitting one too , but what seems to worry me is why honda left that cover out. If it has something to do with engine cooling etc I would like to know because , designers always have a good reason to omit certain items. Like to know though

Quick Reply: CRZ Aero engine under panel installed on my Fit