2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 2nd Gen GE8 Honda Fit

DIY: 11 Pin Door Mirror (Folding, Heated, Smart Key)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
The Aftermarket Heated Mirror with the LED light on the surface of the mirror (glass) is more interesting though... I really like them...
but I worry that the LED on the glass surface might distract me when I am looking at the rear view during the night,
so as nice as they were, I think for now I stay with the stock factory heated mirror.
Now this is NICE, but as I said, I worry the lighted LED might distract me during the night... :
GREAT FIND!!!!
Good thing I didn't buy the OEM heated yet. These are exactly what I've been looking for. Definitely getting these aftermarket mirrors. Not a big fan of the LED signal on the mirror itself, but you can always unplug it or just not hook it up.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
The CR-V Switch had BACKLIGHTING, but we need to add more wiring
to the switch.

so you need to add 2 PIG TAIL 04320-SAA-A00 into the socket that connect to the Switch.

I'm curious as to why?

When I bought my autofold mirrors I had the seller include the CR-V illuminated switch (instead of the JDM GE8). Out of curiousity I installed it this weekend (the old switch is a pain to remove from that holder, but I was glad the trim around the meter's is actually quite simple, just take your time and be careful), and it lights up normally when you turn on the lights.

Why would you need to re-pin that? It's a direct swap.

I'm still trying to convince myself if I want to get the auto-fold when locking harness or not... it's a cool feature but.... extra wear & tear, and I could just push the button when I need to fold them.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
I'm curious as to why?

When I bought my autofold mirrors I had the seller include the CR-V illuminated switch (instead of the JDM GE8). Out of curiousity I installed it this weekend (the old switch is a pain to remove from that holder, but I was glad the trim around the meter's is actually quite simple, just take your time and be careful), and it lights up normally when you turn on the lights.

Why would you need to re-pin that? It's a direct swap.

I'm still trying to convince myself if I want to get the auto-fold when locking harness or not... it's a cool feature but.... extra wear & tear, and I could just push the button when I need to fold them.
You mean you don't have to add the pigtail for the light function?
that mean JDM GE and USDM GE had different wiring,
cause for JDM GE, they need to add pigtail to power up the light.

so for JDM GE who already have folding function they need to add 2 pigtail for light.

and that is why I think for USDM GE we need to add 4 pigtail (2 for folding
and 2 for back lighting function)... but I guess we only need to add 2 huh...
well, I will know for sure when I install mine

Old 05-13-2013, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
^^^ Yeah, exactly... for our USDM's there's no need for extra pins for the illumination feature. Maybe the JDM doesn't have it (is not illuminated?), that might be the case since the JDM switch isn't fully illuminated?

I took some pics last nite but they came out slightly blurry... I can post them up tonight if you like.
All I did was swap the USDM switch (the one that comes standard when you buy the car) with the CR-V autofold illuminated switch. Everything works, and the switch lights up when you turn your headlights/parking lights on. I will install the mirrors after I get a chance to bring it to the body shop for some touch ups (which will give me time to order those mirrors, and decide if I want the auto-fold harness).

Last edited by FitStir; 05-13-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
come to think off it, the oem ambient harness plugs into the same harness. the ambient lighting kit iirc does light up (i'll take a look later). the only issue is, the folding harness, may not be wired up for it, so u will still need to wire for the illuminated lights.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
^^^ Yeah, exactly... for our USDM's there's no need for extra pins for the illumination feature. Maybe the JDM doesn't have it (is not illuminated?), that might be the case since the JDM switch isn't fully illuminated?

I took some pics last nite but they came out slightly blurry... I can post them up tonight if you like.
All I did was swap the USDM switch (the one that comes standard when you buy the car) with the CR-V autofold illuminated switch. Everything works, and the switch lights up when you turn your headlights/parking lights on. I will install the mirrors after I get a chance to bring it to the body shop for some touch ups (which will give me time to order those mirrors, and decide if I want the auto-fold harness).
Yes, the JDM one is not illuminated for sure, cause so many thread at Minkara showing owner change their Honda Fit Switch to CR-V one...

Thanks again for your info, so it is even better, which mean I only have to add 2 pigtail for the folding function then ...

now for Autofolding function, I really recommend you getting one,
the wire harness is less then $100 dollar only,...

and if you worry it might break the folding motor,
well, I think it will be at least 2 or 3 years before your folding motor break.
if it break, then just buy another USED JDM mirror from Japan,
which will only cost you around $100 shipped per mirror and still in good condition.
$100 for 2 or 3 years of use is not that expensive

and beside, you might already sold your car 3 years from now...
so why not use it to the max...
if you pamper your car, the only person that going to enjoy it is
the person who bought your used car

of course, I will not abuse my car, but I will use my car to the max

Old 05-13-2013, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
come to think off it, the oem ambient harness plugs into the same harness. the ambient lighting kit iirc does light up (i'll take a look later). the only issue is, the folding harness, may not be wired up for it, so u will still need to wire for the illuminated lights.
Thanks xxryu139x,...

your post remind me that I really need to buy the auto folding and auto tilt harness asap, otherwise, I can NOT install my mirror...
but currently my monthly budget (and my next month) budget for car mods are all spent... hahaha...
hopefully I can have "reinforcement" budget soon,
otherwise, this install will drag for the next 2 months... oh well...

Old 05-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
the issue i ran into when installing my autopowerfolding is that all the harnesses that i was running at the same time did not have the same wiring. for example, the oem ambient light wire harness do not come with the wiring for the folding, but has the bypass wires for the mirror tilting. it gets rough when u have multiple harnesses going into the fuse box already. have to check for continuity of all the wiring.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
the issue i ran into when installing my autopowerfolding is that all the harnesses that i was running at the same time did not have the same wiring. for example, the oem ambient light wire harness do not come with the wiring for the folding, but has the bypass wires for the mirror tilting. it gets rough when u have multiple harnesses going into the fuse box already. have to check for continuity of all the wiring.
Well, that is funny,
cause the autotilt function wiring harness is not available for GE,
and as you had guide me it had to be the Insight autotilt wiring (CRZ also had one but as you had said the fusebox do not match).

while the folding function is the standard function for JDM GE,
and the autofold wiring is really a GE part...

Apparently JDM GE must not have options for ambient lighting,
and that is the most probable reason why USDM ambient lighting wiring
do not have by pass for JDM folding function...

or USDM ambient lighting wiring is made with saving cost in mind,
that they take out 2 wire needed for autofolding function...

either way, anyway, by the way hahaha this is going to be COMPLICATED but FUN

Old 05-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
lol they do have ambient lighting option. in fact, they get to choose between 3 different colors! anyway, when i browsed the auto-tilting harness install my nose bled. it's so damn complicated for me. good luck!

Old 05-17-2013, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
My New JDM Door Mirror COVER parts just arrive,

I had taken many pictures before I put it on the frame of the door mirror,
but unfortunately I delete them accidentally
so I have to retake the pictures but it is already on installed position...

on the pictures that was deleted, it show the production date,
and it is 2013 production !!!

Immediately I wish that if Human could have their outer body replace
like this door mirror cover, we could be young (OUTSIDE appearance) forever ! hahaha...

I mean my door mirror now looks brand new again after installing this new door mirror cover...

well, maybe in the next century, human will be able to get replacement parts easily... now, wonder what part is better the Human JDM or USDM parts hahaha

anyway here are the pictures:
Name:  DSC06310_zps4736daaa.jpg
Views: 2326
Size:  147.5 KB

I still had not installed the heated mirror because I want to put on the Black Rubbery Glue that hold the mirror tight,...
I am ordering that glue (3M Strip Calk) from Amazon
and should arrive next week...
This Rubbery Glue is not vital, but the original one had this glue and
it had been taken apart when I disassemble the heated mirror from the frame,so I want it to be as perfect like new, so I decide I am buying this glue...

after that I can install the heated mirror on to the frame of the door mirror,
then I can install the entire door mirror on my car...
with the heated function and blinker function...

oh,... now I remember the small add on for the add a fuse had not arrive too... (to install heated function to fuse box), going to check the tracking now...

regarding
the autofold and autotilt function,...
well that got to wait until reinforcement budget available so I can order the wiring from Japan Amazon/Rakuten hahaha

still long time to finish,... please kindly be patient

Old 05-17-2013, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
Isn't the autofold wiring is already in the harness and the switch? For Autotilt, which wire from the mirror is that? And which wire you are tabbing into to get the tilt function? (the backup lights?)

Old 05-17-2013, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Apparently JDM GE must not have options for ambient lighting,
and that is the most probable reason why USDM ambient lighting wiring
do not have by pass for JDM folding function...

or USDM ambient lighting wiring is made with saving cost in mind,
that they take out 2 wire needed for autofolding function...

either way, anyway, by the way hahaha this is going to be COMPLICATED but FUN
I think the USDM GE ambient kit doesn't have the requirement for working with the JDM mirror switch in mind. I tested the USDM ambient kit (GE kit) with my GD1 (brazil) and it works without any modification so I believe the mirror wiring has the same design/wire color code from GD1 to GE8.

For the the 2 missing wire, can you just add them back to the ambient kit?

BTW, here my project for my GD1

- GE8 ambient kit (already hooked up and working)
- GD1 (Japan) folding mirror with blinkers

Have fun with your project!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by martymcfly
Isn't the autofold wiring is already in the harness and the switch? For Autotilt, which wire from the mirror is that? And which wire you are tabbing into to get the tilt function? (the backup lights?)
Hello,
what I mean by autofold is the automatic folding function when you
lock the car by pressing the button on your key,
and then unfold it back when you turn the key to acc position.
this require buying the wiring for this function.

I already have the Switch with the button to press to fold / unfold,
but in order to install this switch, I got to take out the speedometer outer plastic panel so I rather wait until I buy the wiring otherwise I had to take out the speedometer outer plastic panel again because the autofolding wiring socket is plug to that switch too.

now for the autotilt function, from what I read so far,
it have a control module that adjust the range of tilting,
it have a plug that plug into the fuse box, and it also have another plug that plug between the car wiring harness to the passenger mirror socket connection.

it's hard to explain without the mirror harness in front of me,
but I think I understand how it works and it's actually quite simple.

I just had to know/identify which wire does what,
and I think I already identify all of them.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
I think the USDM GE ambient kit doesn't have the requirement for working with the JDM mirror switch in mind. I tested the USDM ambient kit (GE kit) with my GD1 (brazil) and it works without any modification so I believe the mirror wiring has the same design/wire color code from GD1 to GE8.

For the the 2 missing wire, can you just add them back to the ambient kit?

BTW, here my project for my GD1

- GE8 ambient kit (already hooked up and working)
- GD1 (Japan) folding mirror with blinkers

Have fun with your project!
now for ambient kit,
I don't plan to ever install an ambient kit,
but in connection with the autotilt function,
I think this is more related to the way the ambient kit connect to the fuse box and other wiring connect to the fuse box which require power supply and also trigger on/off when you open the door or turn off the engine...
one socket are on top of the other but connect to single socket/source from the fusebox,... well something like that...
anyway, I am not going to install other accessory except the auto tilt and auto fold function, so I am not really worried about this...
worse came to worse, I just need to pull/make a bridging wire to supply the power/trigger if it is not there

the most important thing is you got to have a multi meter and several jumper / tester cable to figure out which wire is doing what in the car,
and compare it to the wiring diagram,
once you got it, it will not be that hard.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member

now for the autotilt function, from what I read so far,
it have a control module that adjust the range of tilting,
it have a plug that plug into the fuse box, and it also have another plug that plug between the car wiring harness to the passenger mirror socket connection.
Thanks for your information. But somehow the trigger for this function has to be the gear in reverse.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member

Usually it is the Passenger side (right side for ours) that tilt,
because it will be hard for us to see the curb on the passenger side,
while on the driver side, it will be easier for us to see the curb...
This is true. My Rangerover and Audi both work on the passenger side only.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for your information. But somehow the trigger for this function has to be the gear in reverse.
oh yes, I agree, the trigger for the autotilt is the reverse gear switch,
although I have not check on how to connect to this but I also sure this is pretty easy,

but on the paragraph above,
I was talking about a plug that plug on top of other plug (daisy chain) and finally to the fuse box, so each plug have to be able to pass through all the needed signal/current to the plug behind it on the daisy chain...

Old 05-18-2013, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Can anyone comment on the reliability of the motor (actuator?)? From past experience, Honda door actuator is about 6-8 years life span (average daily use with door lock/unlock alarm function). Is the one in the mirror easy to replace?

Old 05-21-2013, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
Can anyone comment on the reliability of the motor (actuator?)? From past experience, Honda door actuator is about 6-8 years life span (average daily use with door lock/unlock alarm function). Is the one in the mirror easy to replace?
Hello,
You can buy just the folding actuator parts from Japan (or other country that have this option), it is not that expensive, probably around $150 each
or if you buy a used JDM mirror from Japan, the whole assembly including ready to install is only $100 to $150 already including shipping cost to US.

and I think it will last at least 3 years, so per year it cost only $50,
and $50 is about what it will cost for a whole family (husband, wife, 2 kids) have dinner at IHOP

The main reason why I want an auto folding mirror is because
sometimes, I forget whether I had lock my car or not,
and most of the time, I need to walk back to my car just to check whether I had lock it or not, (of course, I can press the alarm button again to sound that horn, but that horn sound so cheesy, I would rather just walk back to my car hahaha)...

now with the auto folding, I can see from far away,
if the mirror is fold, that mean my car is lock,
if the mirror still unfold that mean my car is not locked yet...

I think that function alone worth the $50 cost per year,
assuming the mirror will fail after 3 years of continuous use,
and that assuming you keep your car longer than 3 years...
if you don't keep it for more than 3 years,
then a broken folding mirror is the problem of the next owner and not yours to replace

Quick Reply: DIY: 11 Pin Door Mirror (Folding, Heated, Smart Key)