2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 2nd Gen GE8 Honda Fit

2013 Fit Headlight clear peeling

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 01:42 AM
2013 Fit Headlight clear peeling

Hey guys,
New to FF. Just picked up a TW 2013 sport 2 days ago and loving it.
I had a quick question though. Has anyone else noticed the clear coat on the headlights peeling.
It's small but I can start to see cracks or webbing. I will get a pic up ASAP. Just curious if it's something warranty can cover.
Thanks guys

Old 09-07-2014, 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by ABBYtheFit
Hey guys,
New to FF. Just picked up a TW 2013 sport 2 days ago and loving it.
I had a quick question though. Has anyone else noticed the clear coat on the headlights peeling.
It's small but I can start to see cracks or webbing. I will get a pic up ASAP. Just curious if it's something warranty can cover.
Thanks guys
Welcome. I have a 13' TW SPORT w/ Navi. I don't have this issue. Either way, its under warranty.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
it's UV damage. My headlights have a little bit of the same but after 5years outside.

warranty if you've bought a car in NEW condition; if it's bought used as-is, I'd vote it would be wear and tear; just like if you had a few rock chips or dings.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:00 AM
Thanks Guys. I just thought I would ask on here before taking it to honda to see if they would replace it under warranty. The car is less than 2yrs old with only 9k on it. Hopefully honda will cover it.

Any tips on uv damage prevention?

Old 09-07-2014, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
I have the headlight armor film on my fog lights and they have not cracked or broken in 4 plus years-- I have not put it on the headlights- but that may offer some protection if your car is outside all the time

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/merc...available.html

Old 09-07-2014, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
clearcoat on the headlights sounds like some dealer (or owner) added treatment. If it's two days and you have this question I'd take it back to the dealer that sold it to you. They, if reputable, should offer some recourse (at least offering to buff them).

Dealers, especially used car dealers, aren't known for being reputable. After getting no where take it to some place that does detailing.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:35 PM
I suggest spending $20-30 on a headlight restore kit at a partstore. The good kits have the drill attachment, usually is orange in color.

Clean the headlight really well with a soft cloth, then do teh headlight restore. When you are finished the kit will provide some sort of UV synthetic wax protectant.

My headlights got the synth wax treatment when I bought my car. Obviously no reason to cut into them when they were new and I had the keys less then 24 hours off the truck lol. My headlgihts still look great (DEC 2012 purchase)

Old 09-07-2014, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
any headlight restore kit will be removing UV coating, and hopefully some of the good ones provide some sort of application to put on a new layer. Search on internet for other to add a solid UV coating.

But it will not be a permanent solution, especially if after 2 years the HI sun ate through the pretty robust original lens protection layer.

Both ideas are right,
1) no matter what you do, you may need to protect your lenses more frequently with a good protectant, especially since you're getting both a lot of sun and a lot of rain. Stuff made for carwax is OK, you may also want to look at UV specific plastic protectant like 303 aerospace. Any wipeon/wipeoff protectant is not going to last thoug, especially if you get lots of sun and lots of rain so this is somethign you may need to do at least every month or even more frequently!

2) Getting Paint protection film will definitely be a much better solution on top of a lens, but of course has a much higher price tag, especially since the headlight has that lump an installer is going to charge you extra for that.
You still should apply the UV protectant/wax on top of the PPF; but you get a bit more leeway in UV protection and the PPF may take the damage instead of the lens.

On my other car with clouded headlgihts, I first tried just a kit myself. despite the wipeon UV replacement coatings and care; it was hazy again within a summer. Then I went to a pro that also resealed with an UV light; and then went the next step and up the street to a PPF guy who put on PPF on top of that (not sure exactly which brand PPF product). No hazing or degradation after that after 2summers.

Last edited by raytseng; 09-07-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my 6yr old (coming up 7yrs) 09 has no clouding or defects. parked outdoors 24/7 since day one.
my '12 (2yrs) no issue either, parked outdoors 24/7. i think you got a defective lamp, get it replaced under warranty.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks for all of the help guys.
I am planning on taking it to our local honda dealer and see if they can replace it under warranty. Hopefully they can though. I know this Hawaii sun is harsh but, it should not be cause damage this soon on the vehicle. So I also plan on getting them protected just to be safe. Thanks for the help again keep the info coming. It's really helpful.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
For others too, I'd recommend getting a new set of headlights and then head over to WeatherTech and get a set of the film protection. Assuming it doesn't puncture the film and plastic they should stay nice and clear for a really long time. I've tried a bunch of products but found the best option was just to buy new headlights. Even freeway driving and car washes scratch the uv coat and will eventually discolor. I remember by old 240sx with the glass lights. A little steel wool action and those suckers looked amazing!

Old 09-28-2014, 06:09 AM
Just and update for everyone.
Took the fit to the local dealership the other day and brought up the headlight concern. They took it under warranty no problem. Just about a 2 hour wait And a new headlight. And ABBYtheFIT is looking perfect again.
Thanks again guys for all the help