2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 2nd Gen GE8 Honda Fit

JDP Rear Diffuser problem....

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:59 PM
JDP Rear Diffuser problem....

Sup folks,

Today I decided to mount the JDP rear diffuser and unfortunately it's not sitting flushed.... and now my exhaust is hitting up against it and it's making that rattling noise. Anyone with experience or recommendation on how to remount this thing without snapping it apart? I'm not sure what kind of adhesive JDP uses specifically but that thing sticks on like white on rice. It's hard to adjust to the position you want after removing the stickers. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
Don't know about that, but I know a lot of people use the dental floss and heat gun/hair dryer method to remove emblems. Maybe that will work. I used 3m emblem and trim adhesive for a front lip before.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Also you will probably want to use a hair dryer (heat gun can damage the paint) and slowly start to warm up the areas where the double stick tape is. You want to get the double sided tape warmed up just enough to be malleable (the consistency of gum you have been chewing a long time. almost rubbery but still elastic).

Then start pulling and using the dental floss (try to by thick stuff, it will snap in half every 5 minutes) this is more art than a science. Just be patient.

Carbon fiber is pretty strong, but it can spiderweb if bent.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by ampete04
Don't know about that, but I know a lot of people use the dental floss and heat gun/hair dryer method to remove emblems. Maybe that will work. I used 3m emblem and trim adhesive for a front lip before.
Originally Posted by Mr.Hollow
Also you will probably want to use a hair dryer (heat gun can damage the paint) and slowly start to warm up the areas where the double stick tape is. You want to get the double sided tape warmed up just enough to be malleable (the consistency of gum you have been chewing a long time. almost rubbery but still elastic).

Then start pulling and using the dental floss (try to by thick stuff, it will snap in half every 5 minutes) this is more art than a science. Just be patient.

Carbon fiber is pretty strong, but it can spiderweb if bent.
Thanks guys, I will try this out. You wouldn't happen to know what kind of 3M adhesive glue/tape that JDP uses? that thing is really strong and how would you go about removing the rest of the glue that stuck on the bumper? I was going to try goo gone but that might eat up my paint.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rster85
Thanks guys, I will try this out. You wouldn't happen to know what kind of 3M adhesive glue/tape that JDP uses? that thing is really strong and how would you go about removing the rest of the glue that stuck on the bumper? I was going to try goo gone but that might eat up my paint.
WD40 works a bit better than Goo Gone.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:33 AM
3M mounting tape. i've learned to just deal with the rattling

Old 05-18-2015, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by SieGunso
3M mounting tape. i've learned to just deal with the rattling
The noise drives me nuts lol. The 3M mounting tape isn't the same as the ones JDP uses for some reason... mines look like an actual tape while his looks more like transparent glue.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:30 AM
Old 05-18-2015, 03:50 PM
Thanks guys. Just got an email from John at JDP, he says that it's a special VHB double tape that isn't sold over the counter. He sells a kit to replace the double tape. Going to go with that.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Oh wow I actually have heard of the tape he is using. We use it at work to hold signs to walls we can't drill into. That stuff is strong as hell!

Glad you were able to get a replacement.