2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 2nd Gen GE8 Honda Fit

Hitch, Hitch Rack and Broken Trunk Pan Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Hitch, Hitch Rack and Broken Trunk Pan Mount?

I noticed my hitch squeaking incredibly loud on my 2012 FIt this evening and went to look under my car and wiggle it and noticed the whole trunk pan area moving. It is bolted tight to the hitch and it isn't squeaking from that. I did not remove the plastic piece that was covering it since its dark now.

Has this happened to anyone else? I imagine it being a welded piece which is now busted. I loosened the bolt and tightened it to have the same amount of squeakiness.

I'm sure if I take off the rack off itself it won't wiggle, but its the strain from the hitch rack itself, not the hitch.

I'm referencing the bottom two bolts in the middle of the car.

Attached Thumbnails Hitch, Hitch Rack and Broken Trunk Pan Mount?-11064_2012-honda-fit_4_1000.jpg  

Last edited by pearl; 01-08-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Well, since no one has any idea on how to handle this, or I was the first this has ever happened to, I took it upon myself to try and figure out a solution. Not even sure people visit this anymore, but maybe someone will find it useful!

I ended up loosening up the rack and removed the broken piece.

weak.

I took out my spare and lined up the rack the best I could and took the longest drill bit I could find and drilled two holes into the pan.

Looks completely off center but it is as good as it gets.

Plan is to get some longer bolts, maybe 4 inches long and reuse the nuts on the inside of the trunk area. Looks like I may not be able to keep the spare tire hold down, but we will see.

Plan to run to Home Depot tonight for the hardware.

Attached Thumbnails Hitch, Hitch Rack and Broken Trunk Pan Mount?-4640d2f7-98d8-4d0e-8a51-d525d36ad4b6_zpsoo0x0arh.jpg   Hitch, Hitch Rack and Broken Trunk Pan Mount?-910b07c7-9440-4b81-8f6c-063b9eb42b0e_zps1evl51fz.jpg  
Old 08-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Same problem

Originally Posted by pearl
Well, since no one has any idea on how to handle this, or I was the first this has ever happened to, I took it upon myself to try and figure out a solution. Not even sure people visit this anymore, but maybe someone will find it useful!

I ended up loosening up the rack and removed the broken piece.

weak.

I took out my spare and lined up the rack the best I could and took the longest drill bit I could find and drilled two holes into the pan.

Looks completely off center but it is as good as it gets.

Plan is to get some longer bolts, maybe 4 inches long and reuse the nuts on the inside of the trunk area. Looks like I may not be able to keep the spare tire hold down, but we will see.

Plan to run to Home Depot tonight for the hardware.
I know this post has been inactive for about a year, but I started noticing weird noises coming from my hitch, too. I took a look under my car, and the exact same thing happened to my 2012 fit.
It doesn't look like the damn thing was welded or anything, just kind of stuck on there, and the hitch pulled it off when I put some actual weight on it.

I wanted to see how your repair turned out, and if you had any specs on the hardware you used for the repair, and if you had any suggestions.

When I saw the damage, I was actually thinking about drilling the holes horizontally, rather than vertically through the trunk pan, like you did.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:57 AM
I have the same issue. Was driving my bikes around on a hitch mounted bike rack and heard a noise that sounded like screw threads were being drug across a sheet metal edge and though a hitch fastener was about loose. Investigation yielded tight bolts and an awful noise coming from the front of the hitch mount. Put my car on a (fork) lift and basically just pulled the bracket off with my hands. I have corrosion on the forward left tab similar to the photo provided by pearl, indicating that tab failed first. I have photos of my bracket and a drawing I made to re-manufacture the bracket. However, The photos stop uploading at 50%. Sigh... Will try to upload after I post.