2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Fit Headrests

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Fit Headrests

My wife and I are seriously thinking of getting a new Fit. We testdrove one the other day and liked the car, but my wife found the headrests extremely uncomfortable. I am taller and had no problems, but she really did not like the way the headrests were positioned.

Was wondering if anyone knew if the stock headrests could be replaced by something else? If so, any ideas where I might find some kind of replacement headrests? Note that I live in Vancouver, B.C., Canada.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:18 PM
That's a pretty nice idea, your wife's not the only one, many others on here have complained about the exact same thing. Haven't read anything about switching headrests, I would imagine there would be many possibilities with that. Bump for suggestions..

I don't own a fit yet, unfortunately... Sorry I'm no help.

Edit: one post I found searching "headrest", does not have anything about changing headrests though https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-present/32009-problematic-front-headrests-b-pillar-trim.html

Last edited by PRDM; 10-14-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah, that was me that switched the front headrests, hoping to alleviate my issues with being bopped in the head constantly. I don't really think it made a difference. Only thing that helps is to recline the seat back until your neck/head are comfortable and there isn't too much strain on your back. Imperfect solution since I do prefer to be seated more upright, but unless we can switch out the headrests for something less angled forward, I can't think of anything else! Then if you change the Honda headrests, you lose the "active head restraint" advantage. I just don't understand why they made those darn headrests so angled forward in the first place! Surely they could have opted for something that would allow drivers to have their seats more vertical, without creating added strain on their necks.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone think that those metal prongs on the headrests can bend? I'm thinking you can bend the posts so the headrests will be more canted rearward. Might be worth a shot.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Does anyone think that those metal prongs on the headrests can bend? I'm thinking you can bend the posts so the headrests will be more canted rearward. Might be worth a shot.
Yeah but then that might affect the "active head restraint" system which is why those darn headrests are so angled in the first place. I'm going to mention it to my Honda dealership and see what they have to say (um, "nothing can be done so just live with it" is what I'm anticipating). Mostly I think I've hit my "sweet spot" with the angle of my seat back, tilt of steering wheel, telescoping distance of steering wheel, and fore/aft seat distance. Sometimes, I think when I'm heading home tired after work, the headrests bother me more so I end up playing with the above again, to get more comfortable.

Figures.....this little car is otherwise pretty perfect and bam, headrest issue! Like bringing it back down to reality...

Old 10-14-2008, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
The only other thing I can think of is to chop a portion of the back of your head off.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Don't touch the headrest. They are in that position to prevent whiplash in accidents. The IIHS has set the standard with gap to the head. All manufacturers who meet the IIHS recommendation have issues with them being uncomfortable.

Think of it this way, what's worse, a paralyzed Fit owner, or a somewhat uncomfortable Fit owner?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by eiwoh316
Don't touch the headrest. They are in that position to prevent whiplash in accidents. The IIHS has set the standard with gap to the head. All manufacturers who meet the IIHS recommendation have issues with them being uncomfortable.

Think of it this way, what's worse, a paralyzed Fit owner, or a somewhat uncomfortable Fit owner?

Volvo came up with this idea back in the 90s. When a collision occurs from behind the headrest lurches forward instantly, triggered by the occupant's body pressing into the seat back.

Although they look very much like the Fit's, Volvo headrests are definitely more comfortable.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
I put a neck support pillow between the headrest and the seat that's been in 2 cars now - don't have the Fit yet. The way my neck was hurting after long drives, I would more likely be doing damage having done nothing for support than having some extra cushioning there.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:48 PM
I am not sure how they are supposed to work, as I have not previously owned a car with an "active head restraint" system. But I can tell you for my wife, who is 5' 2" tall, they are very uncomfortable. I'm 5' 8" and they are fine for me. It also goes beyond comfort as my wife has a medical problem with her neck, and it is just not advisable for her to sit in that kind of uncomfortable position for any length of time.

I'll ask again if anyone knows of any kind of replacement that could be used? As well, not knowing the technology of the "active head restraint" system, would replacement headrests definitely make this system non operational? Thanks again.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Quickbeam
I'll ask again if anyone knows of any kind of replacement that could be used? As well, not knowing the technology of the "active head restraint" system, would replacement headrests definitely make this system non operational? Thanks again.
Maybe see if the previous generation Fit headrests will work. I think they're not as aggressively raked.

Another thing you can do is add a cushion. You can get them at Canadian Tire for about $20 and up.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:25 PM
News to me...

Originally Posted by eiwoh316

I have never experienced this issue in any of the cars I have owned - including the '08 Sport Fit I currently have. If this ever does become an issue for me in the future - it would be a deal breaker. I prefer to sit in a more upright position when driving - so reclining the seat would not be a consideration for me. I'm very sorry to hear the '09 is plagued with this issue. Hopefully the design will improve in the future considering how Honda has made me fall in love with the FIT!

Old 10-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Just thinkin'

Originally Posted by Quickbeam
I am not sure how they are supposed to work, as I have not previously owned a car with an "active head restraint" system.
I might be wrong - but isn't the "active head restraint" refer to the head rest moving forward in response to an impact/accident - therefore preventing whiplash? And if this is correct - could it be the exagerated angle of the headrest is perhaps a defect in the design - as if the positioning of the "active head restraint" is constantly activated?

I don't know....just reaching to understand.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 PM
I usually drive with my seat reclined where only about half of my back is rested on the seat, rarely do I have my head on the headrest unless I'm stopped at a light, so I might not have a problem.

Don't know If that would be defeating the purpose of the "active head restraints" but oh well, an 09 fit will sure be a lot safer than my 93 civic regardless.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:16 PM
My wife had the same complaint, and solved it the same way as FCG did....my bride is 5'4"; gotta wonder if part of the problem is hair, or keeping hair away from the headrest...
I notice the headrest; I'm 5'10", but only if I lean back or otherwise move my head; I have short hair.
FCG/others; is the headrest actually contacting your head, or just seeming too close/close to your hair?
Thnx,
Moon

Old 10-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
The only other thing I can think of is to chop a portion of the back of your head off.
Oh you're SO funny

Old 10-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by FiveFreshFish
Volvo came up with this idea back in the 90s. When a collision occurs from behind the headrest lurches forward instantly, triggered by the occupant's body pressing into the seat back.

Although they look very much like the Fit's, Volvo headrests are definitely more comfortable.

Well that's the thing. I do understand the concept behind the headrests but surely there HAS to be a way to design them so as to be comfortable, no matter what the angle of the seat back! Honda needs to get to work on that one ASAP.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
My wife had the same complaint, and solved it the same way as FCG did....my bride is 5'4"; gotta wonder if part of the problem is hair, or keeping hair away from the headrest...
I notice the headrest; I'm 5'10", but only if I lean back or otherwise move my head; I have short hair.
FCG/others; is the headrest actually contacting your head, or just seeming too close/close to your hair?
Thnx,
Moon
Oh it's bopping me squarely in the head! I'm 5'5" so I don't really think that height is the culprit. It's just that some people prefer to be seated more upright, as I do. Too much reclining puts strain on my back which becomes painful after hours of driving. So far, so good with my "sweet spot". I'll test it on Friday-Saturday when I have a 800 km round-trip to do....

Old 10-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I have a butterfly-shaped pillow that can be attached to the headrest. it fills the empty space behind the neck and gives more support. You can find such pillow in many stores (not in regular pillow section, but in the section that sells little cushiony pillows for bad neck, lumber support, etc.). Makes driving a lot more comfy. Try it.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Surviver of the Fittest
I have a butterfly-shaped pillow that can be attached to the headrest. it fills the empty space behind the neck and gives more support. You can find such pillow in many stores (not in regular pillow section, but in the section that sells little cushiony pillows for bad neck, lumber support, etc.). Makes driving a lot more comfy. Try it.
Hmmm...worth a shot! Would rather be bopped in the head with something nice and cushy than the not so soft headrests. Thanks for the idea.

Quick Reply: Fit Headrests