2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Installed OEM Center Console this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member

Old 05-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by What The!?
You are the man. Thanks for posting the pictures. Leif

Old 05-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Whoa. I never noticed that paper clip on the underside of the compartment. Now I have to run out to my car to see if I have it.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Just did the install today after watching the video a couple times and printing out the instructions. It took me about 45 mins total. Def a great add-on. I don't know what I did without it before. Now I have a place to put my sunglasses, garage door opener and reg/ins. info.

Highly recommended.
Just got my center console from UPS yesterday. Going to do the install this weekend when I have time. Question I have is what did you use to drill the 20mm holes. I'm having a tough time finding metric drill bits and the closest I can find in standard to match the 20mm is a 13/16 which equates to 20.6mm. Any other pointers you could pass along would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Scott

Old 05-05-2009, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigmitch
Just got my center console from UPS yesterday. Going to do the install this weekend when I have time. Question I have is what did you use to drill the 20mm holes. I'm having a tough time finding metric drill bits and the closest I can find in standard to match the 20mm is a 13/16 which equates to 20.6mm. Any other pointers you could pass along would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Scott
taken from this thread ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...le-buyers.html

Originally Posted by AWDturbo
Just some quick points about the center console, as I installed one just a few days ago.

First, it's not hard to install, but it takes a little time (45 minutes.) For some reason, I had problems getting the two bolts back in to hold the floor bracket down. And although I have loads of metric wrenches, sockets, etc, I don't have any metric drill bits or hole saws. So I used a 5/16" drill bit in place of an 8mm bit and a 3/4" wood bore in place of a 20mm bit. The rubber bolt covers are a bit tighter squeeze with a 3/4" hole, but still go in fine.

The top of the console does slide forward/back, but it takes some muscle to move it - it will not move just from having one's elbow on it when changing gears on a MT. Finally, as far as it getting in the way of shifting, it's in about the same position as my armrest was in my Audi. If I was around town in my Audi, I just flipped the armrest up, and only really used the armrest when frequent gear changes weren't called for.

Some pics of my armrest right after install (Thur Oct 16):

I also just installed the armrest and I used 3/4" bit, the plastic plugs were a little tight but once they are on its perfect. I gotta post up some pics cause people wanna see it installed on a MT... It's got sooooo much room for the shifter if anything it gets in the way of the parking brake a little but not that much of a problem.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
I used a 13/16" spade bit, as I already had one in my tool box, and it worked perfectly.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by FireFox91
Whoa. I never noticed that paper clip on the underside of the compartment. Now I have to run out to my car to see if I have it.

LOL! I never noticed it either but it's there.

Thanks for the photo "What The"!

Old 05-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by BC-Fit09
LOL! I never noticed it either but it's there.

Thanks for the photo "What The"!
Yup, I have one too. I have had the car for 3 months and never saw it.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Just got done installing my center console and I'm very happy with the outcome. Quick and clean install, following the directions that I downloaded from Collegehills Honda. Sure would have been nice if Honda would've included it with the Sport instead of the arm rest on the drivers seat.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:48 PM
hey can you install the armrest in a manual fit?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Yes, it's no problem installing it in a manual Fit. I just did, it looks great. It's not in the way at all when shifting gears.

I can post pics if people want to see it.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
We installed the OEM armrest this weekend.
Very happy with the results and must say it is the most useful accessory we bought so far for our FiT.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Does arm rest interfere with a car seat?

My baby's car seat just barely fits in the back seat without the arm rest in place. Does anybody with the arm rest installed also have an infant car seat in the back and, if so, do they get in each other's way at all?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:42 AM
We have a Maxi Cosi car seat and base that we move around in the back seat (depending if I need one half folded down or have 2 adults in the back seat, etc.). There is no issue with the car seat interfering with the OEM armrest. I installed it probably a week into owning the car. In my opinion is should have some with the sport model. Just another way for honda to make a buck I guess. But to answer your question, NO, the car seat doesn't interfere with the armrest. This isn't to say that your infant seat isn't larger or longer than my infant seat.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Power outlet?

Thanks for the response on the car seat question.

One other question - Does it seem feasible to install a second power outlet inside the console armrest? I'd like to split from the power outlet in the dash, run the wiring under the center console, and have an outlet inside the armrest to keep my iGo adapter plugged in all the time.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by mdomb529
Thanks for the response on the car seat question.

One other question - Does it seem feasible to install a second power outlet inside the console armrest? I'd like to split from the power outlet in the dash, run the wiring under the center console, and have an outlet inside the armrest to keep my iGo adapter plugged in all the time.
That is a tough one. I suppose it could be done but you have to tackle the issue of the flip up hinge on the armrest. If you are litterally looking at having it plugged in all the time, I don't think inside the armrest will work. The compartment is too shallow to have the outlet on the bottom and a plug sticking up vertically. A better spot might be the small indentation where the cup holder used to be, right below the armrest. You don't have to deal with the hinge and you would have plenty of vertical space. You also wouldn't be likely to bump into it if the armrest is down.

This has a good view of the space. The area right in between the seat belt buckles.

Originally Posted by Benggolf

Last edited by FireFox91; 05-13-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:26 PM
This is a great thread - one more question before I pull the trigger and get one-- is the height the same as the arm rest? I find it bordering on too high so don't want to do this if it is higher. The Picts suggest it is about the same but hard to know.
Thanks!
Pat
'13 sport MT 800 miles

Last edited by pordy; 10-06-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:28 AM
So I went ahead and ordered it (along with the door sill trim) from Collegehillshonda.com - got it in 3 days and their price was within a few bucks of the best price I found on eBay.

Probably 1.5 hrs all said and done (I was so eager I did it tonight in the dark after everybody went to bed!). Also used 5/16th and 3/4 wood bit and worked perfectly. Watch the video, get the instructions online and it's an easy satisfying beginner DIY, and great addition to car. Despite reading these threads I also had trouble with starting the ebrake cable bolts (including having one roll under carpet- you'd think I'd have learned!- stuff a rag in there or have a magnetic extension tool handy).

Very impressed with quality and color match is perfect. And to answer my own question, it's height is actually about an inch lower than the arm rest (and no issue with MT).

Pat
'13 Sport MT

PS just back from first long trip and found console super comfortable- not only is height better, the width is better (if only the left side were padded!) and the slide out top is ideal for MT (I have it on an '07 AT accord and never use it).
Definitely a worthwhile purchase (though actual storage space is pretty small).

Last edited by pordy; 10-14-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by pordy
So I went ahead and ordered it (along with the door sill trim) from Collegehillshonda.com - got it in 3 days and their price was within a few bucks of the best price I found on eBay.
How did you get this item in black to match the Sport interior? Everywhere I look, it is shown in grey with no option to choose color. TIA!

Old 10-18-2013, 02:57 PM
color of console

I noted in an earlier post that I installed one in my '13 Sport and that the color matched perfectly, to which mezzanotte asked how I got one that matched a Sport interior.

I asked my wife, and she reminded me that I am, ah hem, "chromatically challenged" and colors in my world are not exactly how they are in others' world ("color blind" is so derogatory!). So maybe I need to back pedal a bit. I'm told the match isn't perfect. I'll try adding a pict for you all to see.

Quick Reply: Installed OEM Center Console this weekend