2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Armrest: Zetaproducts vs Honda

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:03 AM
Armrest: Zetaproducts vs Honda

Searching through the Forums (and my what an active community here), I see that there are plenty of discussions about armrests in the first generation model. I don't see many on the second generation...

Specifically, I'm wondering how the zetaproducts $100 drop-in armrest compares to the Genuine Honda Accessory and its higher cost. At a glance, they appear pretty similar... Are there any serious downsides to the Zeta version, aside from not having the official kiss of Honda?

Old 11-04-2009, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
I'd go with Honda oem... bought a zeta, and it definitely wasn't worth $100. You can get a similar one on ebay for like $20. But shhhhhhh, I think zetaproducts is a fitfreak sponsor.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:26 AM
What was the problem with the Zeta vs the OEM? Fit/finish? poor construction? Poor mounting? Uncomfortable (for reference, I'm 6'1 with long legs, so the seat is all the way back.)

Old 06-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Armrest problems

Hi, I installed the zeta products armrest on my 2010 and was so unhappy with it I bit the bullet and got the Honda model. The problem with the drop in is it will telegraph the OEM console movement as it is so tall, and without anchoring it to the floor of the car it wobbles all over the place. If you push off of it to get out of the car you nearly break it. The OEM set up is bolted with very heavy duty brackets to the floor of the car and it ain't goin noplace! Don't waste you time with these after market armrests. Nomadman

Old 06-09-2010, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nomadman
Hi, I installed the zeta products armrest on my 2010 and was so unhappy with it I bit the bullet and got the Honda model. The problem with the drop in is it will telegraph the OEM console movement as it is so tall, and without anchoring it to the floor of the car it wobbles all over the place. If you push off of it to get out of the car you nearly break it. The OEM set up is bolted with very heavy duty brackets to the floor of the car and it ain't goin noplace! Don't waste you time with these after market armrests. Nomadman
I also installed the Zeta on my 2010 and have no problems with it. For the price- it looks nice and serves the purpose of extra storage. I like the sliding feature on the OEM, but do want to spend the money on this as it is not that important an option for me.
I would never consider pushing off of an armrest to get out of a car, but if that is how you get out of a car, you would need something more solid.
My Subaru has an OEM armrest & in comparison this Zeta looks pretty equivalent. My son-in-law thought it was OEM & he drives an Odyssey and a Civic hybrid.

Last edited by sooznd; 06-09-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:30 PM
I pu mine in about a month ago.. So far I like it. It's nicely matched to the interior, adds lots of storage (including a change tray) and has a nice soft surface. I don't see where I would ever need to push off the seat, so that's not a major concern. I really like the positioning - it feels like it was custom tailored to my driving position.

Now, a set of door armrests covered with the same leather, to mount on that ledge where the armrests would be on the doors... That's about the last thing needed to make the interior perfect.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Occam
I pu mine in about a month ago.. So far I like it. It's nicely matched to the interior, adds lots of storage (including a change tray) and has a nice soft surface. I don't see where I would ever need to push off the seat, so that's not a major concern. I really like the positioning - it feels like it was custom tailored to my driving position.

Now, a set of door armrests covered with the same leather, to mount on that ledge where the armrests would be on the doors... That's about the last thing needed to make the interior perfect.
Glad you like the armrest.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey zeta - Since you're here, I have a question about the armrest pads listed on the site for the Scion xB, tC, Toyota FJ, etc. Tge size is listed as 8x2 inches on all of them. Are they all the same product? How are they constructed? I'd be interested in those if they could be trimmed to the size of the Fit's armrests without compromising their construction. Are they foam rubber throughout?

I could see trimming the aft edge of the pad so that it matches the curves shape of the cutouts, giving my elbow a better surface upon which to rest.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Former Vendor
Hey zeta - Since you're here, I have a question about the armrest pads listed on the site for the Scion xB, tC, Toyota FJ, etc. Tge size is listed as 8x2 inches on all of them. Are they all the same product? How are they constructed? I'd be interested in those if they could be trimmed to the size of the Fit's armrests without compromising their construction. Are they foam rubber throughout?

I could see trimming the aft edge of the pad so that it matches the curves shape of the cutouts, giving my elbow a better surface upon which to rest.
That is all the same pad. Made from black urethane foam. I do not suggest cutting as it will not look clean.

This may sound crazy, but a mouse wrist pad may be better:

Old 06-15-2010, 02:30 PM
I was thinking of cutting the bottom - cut it in such a way that the back matches the contour of the scoops, leaving the top flat. I may look around for a black rubber keyboard wrist rest - it would probably work just as well, and I could cut it in half an use the two ends. My alternate plan (yeah, this sounds nutty) is to cut a small piece of wood to match te shape I need, and cover it with some type of padding and black leather or pleather, and then securing it down.

Again, props for the Armrest- and the timely delivery. It's a long way from NJ to Seaside, CA, but it was delivered right on time (OK, that's more FEDEX's credit, but still, much kudos!)

Old 06-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Former Vendor
I was thinking of cutting the bottom - cut it in such a way that the back matches the contour of the scoops, leaving the top flat. I may look around for a black rubber keyboard wrist rest - it would probably work just as well, and I could cut it in half an use the two ends. My alternate plan (yeah, this sounds nutty) is to cut a small piece of wood to match te shape I need, and cover it with some type of padding and black leather or pleather, and then securing it down.

Again, props for the Armrest- and the timely delivery. It's a long way from NJ to Seaside, CA, but it was delivered right on time (OK, that's more FEDEX's credit, but still, much kudos!)
Try the mouse pad first to see if it will work. I think Staples also has a similar one.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Angelo, Zeta Products: I would like to know if you have anything in the works to fix the poor armrest on the door of the GE8 Fit. It is so short, low and hard it is hard to use. An overlay pad that matches the center armrest with a little more surface area would be a huge improvement.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Former Vendor
Angelo, Zeta Products: I would like to know if you have anything in the works to fix the poor armrest on the door of the GE8 Fit. It is so short, low and hard it is hard to use. An overlay pad that matches the center armrest with a little more surface area would be a huge improvement.
We haven't had much call for this, but I will look into it.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Here's my quickie solution:

Took a memory foam wrist pad for a keyboard, cut it in half, and cut the bottom so the contour matched. Currently mounted with 3m double-sided tape... I may look for something more permanent if I like it enough.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Occam: Great pic. Good idea. I might get one of those and try it. Can't hurt. Especially starting with such a bad design. Nomadman

Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Occam: Great pic. Good idea. I might get one of those and try it. Can't hurt. Especially starting with such a bad design. Nomadman
I mentioned in another thread that I had it on there for about 1 mile before I ripped it off. I followed up with a better design:

extra thick foam rubber mouse pad, covered in leather-grained black vinyl. Attached with hook-n-loop fasteners. Seems MUCH better.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:08 AM
hey i was on Honda's site and it says that you can only add the center console/armrest if your Fit is an automatic. I've got a Fit Sport with a manual trans. and was wondering if it would work with it? has anyone tried this?

Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by indybmxfit44
hey i was on Honda's site and it says that you can only add the center console/armrest if your Fit is an automatic. I've got a Fit Sport with a manual trans. and was wondering if it would work with it? has anyone tried this?
The armrest will work in auto or manual trans cars. Honda does not like armrests in cars with manual trans because the armrest gets in the way of the parking brake for some people.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Looking over this thread for the first time, I concur with others that it would be awesome to have a pad that fits over a part of the door armrest. I know you all have come up with some very specific products in the past, and if there is something that is cleanly molded, maybe that matches your armrest material, it could sell. This is one of the biggest real-world complaints about the car for me (rather than the typical nitpicky crap people find to not like about their car that they don't even interface with, see, or hear.) I have to drive with my elbow on the top part by by window sill if I want to be comfortable and it's wearing down the fabric. I can't imagine any GE owner not wanting one of these from a functional aspect. I'm not tall, or short, but I can't see how being either would make it any more comfortable. The car just isn't designed well in that regard, at least for us big 'ole 'mericans or something.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:39 AM

That's my homemade solution. Leather grained vinyl, wrapped around a foam rubber mousepad, and velcroed in place. It's worked pretty well for the past few months.

Also, still lovin my Zeta console.

Quick Reply: Armrest: Zetaproducts vs Honda