2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

English DIY maplight in base GE

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 09 Blackberry Pearl Sport
I'm in Sask. and I completed the map light DIY myself using these instructions. Not to worry, even the Canadian models have the mounding screw holes in the roof. THe only other sudgestion I have is to run 2 wires in stead of one. Both the Blue and the Pink because then you have both the function of the individual lights, and they also come on when the doors are opened or the keyless entry is activated.
It works in Canada!
A couple more questions-

With only the one wire do the lights come on with keyless entry or when door is opened?

Where did you connect the blue wire in the map base? On the pin to the right in the pic that follows

Thanks

Oh where did you get your light?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:16 PM
wires

ok with only one wire, the lights only come on when you push them on. With the second wire they actually come on with the doors or keyless entry. from what I can remember the blue wire went to the pin on the right in the pic attached. This is only what I can remember though. Just try it. If it doesn't work try another pin.
I also got all my parts using the part numbers listed in the thread and then went to a web site www.1sthondaparts.com. they're in washington, but had the best prices I could find for OEM parts.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 09 Blackberry Pearl Sport
ok with only one wire, the lights only come on when you push them on. With the second wire they actually come on with the doors or keyless entry. from what I can remember the blue wire went to the pin on the right in the pic attached. This is only what I can remember though. Just try it. If it doesn't work try another pin.
I also got all my parts using the part numbers listed in the thread and then went to a web site www.1sthondaparts.com. they're in washington, but had the best prices I could find for OEM parts.
Thanks for the info.

bill

Old 07-26-2010, 12:17 PM
When hooking up the second wire to the map light. which post does it get connected to? Or are the other 2 posts electrically the same?

Thanks,

Jason

Old 07-26-2010, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jasoninraleigh
When hooking up the second wire to the map light. which post does it get connected to? Or are the other 2 posts electrically the same?

Thanks,

Jason
Other two posts are NOT electrically the same.

Inner most pin (prewired pink on GE8 Sports) is a constant 12v (for GE8 Base - tap into dome light pink wire), middle pin is a chassis ground through the mounting bolt, outter most pin is the negative you'd need to tap into the dome light MICU controlled GND (blue wire) to make the map lights turn on with door open.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
The post for the blue wire connection is the one marked with arrow right????

I just have to shut up and go get the parts and try it eh.

bill

Name:  Drawing1-1.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  17.6 KB

Old 07-26-2010, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
The post for the blue wire connection is the one marked with arrow right????
correct321

Old 07-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Hi Zalthras,

Thanks for the info! and thanks to the others in this thread and this site. This is a terrific resource.

Jason

Old 08-06-2010, 02:00 PM
glad u guys in canada can use this too

Old 08-06-2010, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
I am going to wait til someone brings the parts and puts it in. I will watch.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
I would like to thank dela, and everyone else who contributed to this DIY. I installed this yesterday and wired it to come on both ways like some of you have done. I did not have to solder as I was able to find a small female connector to fit onto the male fins, at my local hardware store. Makes a huge difference when opening the doors at night or having the ability to use the maplights at night. After installing my interior is so brite that when I open the hatch it seems so dim in comparison. So now onto my next project making the cargo area brighter. I use the cargo cover so putting a light up top would not help. I would like to add another light on the right side of the cargo area, but I don't think anyone has done this yet. I may have to investigate this myself, but first I'll try to put A brighter bulb in the cargo area.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
Maybe next year I will do a map light.

Here is one of my hatch lights. I have one on either side. I used doublesided tape to mount and hooked into the original light.

Name:  002-5.jpg
Views: 1603
Size:  25.9 KB

Old 09-05-2010, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MrMondayNite
So now onto my next project making the cargo area brighter. I use the cargo cover so putting a light up top would not help.
lighting under the cargo cover actually works very well, give it a shot.

Name:  1withlabel.gif
Views: 1679
Size:  121.8 KB

Old 09-05-2010, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Zalthras
lighting under the cargo cover actually works very well, give it a shot.

That looks great, but I need the ability to take the cargo cover out and off easily. I can't believe noone at Fitfreak has installed another cargo light for the right side. I'll probably start by changing my cargo bulb first to a brighter LED bulb and go from there. Is the bulb # 31mm or 168? Have any bulb recommendations? Thanks.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MrMondayNite
That looks great, but I need the ability to take the cargo cover out and off easily. I can't believe noone at Fitfreak has installed another cargo light for the right side. I'll probably start by changing my cargo bulb first to a brighter LED bulb and go from there. Is the bulb # 31mm or 168? Have any bulb recommendations? Thanks.
Cargo cover goes on/comes off exactly the same. I put a USB connector in as a disconnectable power.

Bulb is a 31mm.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
A couple more questions-

With only the one wire do the lights come on with keyless entry or when door is opened?

Where did you connect the blue wire in the map base? On the pin to the right in the pic that follows

Thanks

Oh where did you get your light?
Just finished install from 1sthondaparts.com, $40.52 shipped and it was a piece of cake. Ran 2 wires to map light, (1 to blue and 1 to pink) wires in dome light. Now, map lights work independently or come on with dome light when doors are opened. Makes a huge difference in light within car. Very easy install and well worth the money.
John

Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 PM
did this today, i will add an easy way to get proper alignment is to make a conservative cut, then thread in (2) 40mm M5 bolts, tighten the bolts until only the heads are sticking out beyond the headliner. the 8mm heads on the M5 bolts will fit snugly into the bolt openings on the map light base. you can then trace around the map light base with a pencil ... remove the map light base, and viola you have a template in the right place.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
It is really very easy. Just start with a small hole and then increase the size of the cut incrementally. There is enough overlap on map light base to cover any inconsistencies in cut. Cut is easiest part, just hook up wiring as stated earlier and the map lights will work in conjunction with other lights. Great install and wonderful lights within car. Let me hear how it goes. John

Old 03-12-2011, 11:47 PM
wait. i think i already have this? :S

Old 06-10-2011, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Thank you Black3sr and all others that contributed to this thread.

Quick Reply: English DIY maplight in base GE