2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

help! cut out door speaker grills

Old 10-26-2010, 02:49 PM
help! cut out door speaker grills

Hi everyone,

I wanted to cut out the speaker grills in the car. I've replaced them with aftermarket speakers but the speakers seem to touch the door panel when there's too much bass.

Any suggestions on what to use to cut them out? I plan on replacing the stock grills with the ones I received from my speaker manufacturer.

A friend of mine recommending an air saw but going at $200 so I can just use it once seems a bit too much.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
I used a dremel tool when I did that on my last car.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Fitting
I used a dremel tool when I did that on my last car.
Are you talking about this?

I'm not sure but is it possible to get the tool as an attachment for my drill? I'm still new to the tool world.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Maybe rent a tool that you could use? Or borrow one?
Good luck!

Old 11-06-2010, 03:37 PM
that's the right tool -- the dremel.

as for an attachment for your drill, i'm sure there are options. one of the things that makes the dremel so handy though is that you can hold it kinda like a pen, and get the exact angle/cut you want. they're cheap enough, and are handy for all kinds of things. you can get them at target even.

after you get one you'd be surprised at how much you use it for random around the house jobs

Old 11-06-2010, 08:12 PM
you can gain ~1/2" by dremeling off the plastic ring and honeycomb structure behind the door grill. Thats what i did.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by FIT_maniack
Maybe rent a tool that you could use? Or borrow one?
Good luck!
Not in Japan. People here don't really have tools unless you're in the business.

Originally Posted by johnkimble
that's the right tool -- the dremel.

as for an attachment for your drill, i'm sure there are options. one of the things that makes the dremel so handy though is that you can hold it kinda like a pen, and get the exact angle/cut you want. they're cheap enough, and are handy for all kinds of things. you can get them at target even.

after you get one you'd be surprised at how much you use it for random around the house jobs
That's $100 easy. i guess no choice for an item i'll use just once.

Originally Posted by jcuecker
you can gain ~1/2" by dremeling off the plastic ring and honeycomb structure behind the door grill. Thats what i did.
took the plastic ring off and trimmed the honeycomb thing. still hitting the panel.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NipponFit
Not in Japan. People here don't really have tools unless you're in the business.

That's $100 easy. i guess no choice for an item i'll use just once.

took the plastic ring off and trimmed the honeycomb thing. still hitting the panel.

It's very weird that your speaker is coming out that far just for some bass... are they mounted solid are you sure the sound you are hearing is not front the mount moving in and out when the bass hits?

Did you amp the after market speakers? I have had mine replaced almost since it was brand new in 2007 and Ive never had them hit the door panel.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ciggy
It's very weird that your speaker is coming out that far just for some bass... are they mounted solid are you sure the sound you are hearing is not front the mount moving in and out when the bass hits?

Did you amp the after market speakers? I have had mine replaced almost since it was brand new in 2007 and Ive never had them hit the door panel.
I think it's the spacer I put in. If it was a simple aftermarket speaker, I wouldn't have had a problem. The focals I have take up a bit more room overall.

I have a black and decker cordless drill. Can anyone recommend an attachment that would make this job easier? I've yet to see a hole saw for a drill that cuts out 165mm (or 6.5")

Old 11-09-2010, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ciggy

Some aftermarket speakers have large magnet so they have to use spacers. This will push them out to far and rub against the speaker grilles. Only way to clear is to cut the speaker grille and put in a new one over the opening.

Originally Posted by NipponFit
I think it's the spacer I put in. If it was a simple aftermarket speaker, I wouldn't have had a problem. The focals I have take up a bit more room overall.

I have a black and decker cordless drill. Can anyone recommend an attachment that would make this job easier? I've yet to see a hole saw for a drill that cuts out 165mm (or 6.5")
If you can't get a dremel then use your drill and frill a hole. Get a hand saw insert it in the hole and saw the grille out.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:37 AM
I agree with drilling a starting hole and hand sawing it out, that is the next thing I would suggest unless you can google for an attachment for your drill or something... Hand sawing just sounds like the cheapest way and I'm assuming you can find one that will work..?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by FIT_maniack
I agree with drilling a starting hole and hand sawing it out, that is the next thing I would suggest unless you can google for an attachment for your drill or something... Hand sawing just sounds like the cheapest way and I'm assuming you can find one that will work..?
Yeah, the hand saw isn't a big deal. I actually have one. My biggest concern is making it look decent.

I guess it's time to buy some masking tape, make the circle and cut it out. Probably a good idea to sand it after too.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:11 AM
I recently replaced the plastic grills in my rear doors with metal ones from Parts Express. Looks pretty good and gains you some extra room:

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  59.0 KB

Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by jcuecker
I recently replaced the plastic grills in my rear doors with metal ones from Parts Express. Looks pretty good and gains you some extra room:
You used a Dremel tool? Got any pictures of how it look of just the hole?