2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Installing a Sport stereo system in a Base model?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Installing a Sport stereo system in a Base model?

The only thing I truly regret about buying a base model 09 Fit is the stereo system it comes with. It's not bad, but I'd rather have the iPod connection in the glove box!

I couldn't find anything in a search, so I figured I'd ask. Has anyone upgraded the base model stereo to the Sport stereo? Is all the necessary wiring there, or would it be a hassle? I haven't removed my stock stereo yet (which is failing... won't play some CDs, and the volume knob has a mind of its own.) so I haven't had a chance to really inspect it. I'd rather not bother pulling things apart until I'm ready to swap it out.

I'd prefer to use the stock Sport unit than go aftermarket.

edit: I suppose this can be expanded to the Nav unit as well!

Last edited by deevergote; 05-20-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
The iPod, or rather, the USB connection is a separate module you can add on.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Haha! Thanks!

I JUST discovered that in the classifieds, and was coming back here to edit the post!

So I guess I'm looking at that upgrade, maybe... or the Nav upgrade. Do you happen to know if the Nav system will plug in, or if the wiring is significantly different?

Old 05-20-2012, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
There are a few things the navi has, that isn't in regular sport or base Fits.

Microphone, steering wheel audio controls and voice command button... though I forget if the second and third (via Bluetooth) are standard now.

Adding them to the Fit requires some under dash wiring. Then there's a harness "adapter." My guess is the pin out is different between navi and non-navi.

edit: there's a DIY on here for adding steering wheel controls. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-pictures.html (and in the second post is some links to others).

Last edited by Goobers; 05-20-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Awesome. Thanks man! I'll check that out tomorrow when I'm not falling asleep!
My stock unit is failing, and I always prefer to upgrade when possible/practical if something needs to be replaced!

Old 05-24-2012, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
If you're interested, I just replaced my stock radio. I've got everything, even the trim piece in the glove box for the USB cable. Make me an offer. I wasn't really looking to get rid of it, but I guess I could.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Sorry, I haven't been on here in a while!

Since my stock radio is crapping out on me (not reading most CDs, volume knob has a mind of its own...) I don't think I'll bother adding the USB part. It seems most sell for about $100, which is too much to spend on a radio I may be chucking sooner than later anyway! If you were anxious to get rid of it I'd go for a lowball price, but I don't want to insult you by even making such an offer, since you weren't really looking to sell in the first place. I appreciate the offer, though!