2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Upgrading stereo system (keeping factory nav)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Upgrading stereo system (keeping factory nav)

I just purchased a 2012 Fit Sport w/navi. I noticed that many of the folks here didn't opt for the factory navigation system, so after searching around I didn't see anything that would answer my concerns...

I'm a sound guy and I need my stereo to sound GOOD. I don't care about the thumping bass too much, as I really care about clear/crisp highs and mids. The problem is, at this point I DO NOT want to swap out the factory headunit.

What are my choices? My goal is to be able to hear the stereo clearly and loudly even with the windows down at 75mph. I was able to do that in my S2000 and my prior BMW. The Fit may be a challenge since I want to keep the headunit stock...for now.

I already have a JL Audio 8 channel amp that is basically brand new from my prior car.

As for speakers, the cost isn't important, but it obviously can't be ridiculous. I can't imagine everything should cost that much since I have the expensive amp already.

Subwoofer...another issue. I absolutely CANNOT have a large box anywhere as trunk space is very important to me. One of my other cars had this, which was perfect. I didn't see any similar options for the Fit. Are those Infinity Basslink units (or any smaller units) any good?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:13 PM
You need at a minimum a line out put converter to be able to use you amp. It still may not sound that good because the factory headunit filters the signal to the speakers to keep them from distorting (because there cheap). My advice to you would be to change out the head unit (single din if you want to save money) and run your 5 ch amp to some aftermarket speakers.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by krunk13
You need at a minimum a line out put converter to be able to use you amp. It still may not sound that good because the factory headunit filters the signal to the speakers to keep them from distorting (because there cheap). My advice to you would be to change out the head unit (single din if you want to save money) and run your 5 ch amp to some aftermarket speakers.
Hm, thanks. I'm not concerned about the price whatsoever, as long as I can keep my factory nav/headunit.

Doesn't seem like there are many options here huh?

Old 06-06-2012, 03:43 PM
you need to get a hi-lo converter..

for cheap and good speakers there is a big list.. $1000 is expensive to me , but for you it may or may not be.. tell us your proper budget for speakers and subwoofer please..

Old 06-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks. I would say <$1000 for everything. I can install myself, but if there's any custom fabrication work, then I would have it done somewhere else (and that would be part of the budget).

Old 06-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Speakers by themselves arnt gonna make it sound better. The headunit is gumming up the works. You need a signal processor to take the signal from the stock radio and level it out for the amp. IMO its allot more work than getting an aftermarket radio. Why dont you want to replace it? You wont lose your steering wheel controls.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
they are both right. You need to install a hi-lo converter (also known as a sound processor) to clean up the signal coming out of your factory stereo. you can read up on them here: What are Factory Sound Processors?

from there, you can wire a mono-amp for your sub, and another amp (if you want really good sound) to power your door speakers and tweeters.

I'm thinking of going with a shallow mount alpine type r, most likely a 12 inch, but for now, i wired a 10in powered kenwood sub (similar to a bazooka bass tube).

the best part of having a sound processor is, who's gonna steal a factory stereo these days?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Thanks guys. Ugh, another $300-600 for the SP if I want to keep the factory headunit/nav huh?

I guess I don't really have a valid reason for keeping the stock unit. I just bought the car and I paid extra to have the nav/Bluetooth functionality. I have NEVER seen an aftermarket unit where the Bluetooth is clear and I have done/seen hundreds of headunits. Been modifying cars for close to 20 years.

I love the Bluetooth and that's one of the main reasons I love the car. I don't want to lose it. It's currently crystal clear for both me and the other party on the phone.

I was afraid of that. My S2000, I had aftermarket everything and it sounded amazing. On my M3, I kept the factory headunit (since everything is integrated) and only amplified it. It didn't sound any better....it was only able to go louder.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Deftones8
they are both right. You need to install a hi-lo converter (also known as a sound processor) to clean up the signal coming out of your factory stereo. you can read up on them here: What are Factory Sound Processors?

from there, you can wire a mono-amp for your sub, and another amp (if you want really good sound) to power your door speakers and tweeters.

I'm thinking of going with a shallow mount alpine type r, most likely a 12 inch, but for now, i wired a 10in powered kenwood sub (similar to a bazooka bass tube).

the best part of having a sound processor is, who's gonna steal a factory stereo these days?
Man, I never even looked into these. So much information to see and share on here. I added 4 Boston Acoustic SX65 coax's in the four doors on my 12 SPort non-Nav, and fired it up. The sound was essestially unchanged and just as bad as the old sound. After reseaching some more I found many people slamming the factory head unit. So I installed a new Pioneer HU with blue tooth/HD radio/etc. The sound changed completely. This confirmed the factory HU has some crazy crossovers in there that cancels out any benefits from good speakers. Even if use a line convertor to wire up a sub, you still have a poor sound signal. JUST LOUDER. Tonight I installed a Polk PA330 under my drivers seat and hooked up it bridged to a Pioneer 8 inch shallow sub in the smallest box I have ever seen...shoebox size! HIts suprising loud for its tiny size and takes up very little room. Does it hit like my JL10? No. But I get to keep my room.

Sorry for rambling. If you want good clean sound you need one of those nice prossessors (which need a mounting spot too) or you need to replace the head unit. Since you already have a double din trim plate, you could an aftermarket NAV unit to fit nicely. I am currrently stuck with my mismatched trim piece for my radio because noboby make a dark gray one for the 2012 Sports

Old 06-08-2012, 10:53 PM