2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Backup camera - How did you run the wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Backup camera - How did you run the wiring?

I'm finally getting around to installing my new HU and backup camera.
I'm wondering how others may have gotten the video cable from the camera to the inside of the car.
It looks like maybe the wire would run up into the license plate lights area, but I'm not sure how it then would get inside.

Also, once inside, what's the best/easiest way to get the connector into the dash, from the back of the car?

Old 09-21-2013, 05:55 PM
run it through the door sills up to the dash.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Doesn't really help....

Old 10-10-2013, 06:33 PM
The camera wire can goes into the license plate light bulb,if u don't want a draw a hole,than u can see a wire front ur plate holder to the bulb hole,just 2 inches.
Once u got in from the bulb hole, run it through the frame holes to the left side rubber grommet, run it through the rubber into the body,n u can reach the wire from the rear left reverse light area,u need yo pop the plastic trim there.
Than run it under the carpet to the left rear passenger side.
Than u can take out the rubber seals on the edge of ur door aide body,just pulls up,really easy,run it through to the driver side,repeat again as the left rear passebger step,than run it under ur steering wheel dash to ur headunit,done.
U might need to run a back camera control wire,depends on ur hu design.
Took me less than an hour to do mine.

Goodluck.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Appreciate the feedback guys. I think I *might* have found an easier way though.
Looking through the electrical diagrams, I found a connector (Connector C pin 21) that according to the schematic, is a toggle for the reverse lights. If it's not to hard to get to this connector and tap into that pin, it should be an easier cable run.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:07 PM
U still have to do all my steps,than u do the electrical diagram things.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
agreed, leo. Good to have options though.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
For my backup camera, I ran both the power wire, feed wire and trigger wire all to the headunit. The reason why is because my headunit can activate the camera while driving so I can see behind me without having to put the car into reverse.

I ran the wiring through the factory wiring harness. I have a GD3 so I just removed the access panel behind the left taillight and disconnected the harness that goes to the trunk. Then I pulled off the rubber grommet part and fed my wires through that using a metal wire wrapped in electrical tape. The rubber grommet thing has plenty of room for an additional 5 wires. The only issue I had was the RCA cable. The head was too thick so I had to cut it, feed it through, then re-solder it back together. The other option is to de-pin the harness, feed the RCA cable first, then re-pin the harness. I found the first way easier since I had already de-pinned it once.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Got it taken care of today.
The pin on Connector C worked perfectly. That gave me my reverse indicator signal. Easy wiring run from the fuse panel to the HU.
The camera wire was more 'interesting'. Finally ended up making a small hole in the giant grommet where the rear wiper motor (to the right of the rightside license plate lamp) and shoving the wire through there. Still has a nice tight fit and no danger of moisture getting through it.
Now just need to finish up by snaking the wire all the way up to the headunit (never done anything like that before).

Old 02-15-2014, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ck42
Got it taken care of today.
The pin on Connector C worked perfectly. That gave me my reverse indicator signal. Easy wiring run from the fuse panel to the HU.
The camera wire was more 'interesting'. Finally ended up making a small hole in the giant grommet where the rear wiper motor (to the right of the rightside license plate lamp) and shoving the wire through there. Still has a nice tight fit and no danger of moisture getting through it.
Now just need to finish up by snaking the wire all the way up to the headunit (never done anything like that before).
what type of camera did you use? is the wire visible from the outside? do you have any pics of the cam/install?

Finally, what wire do you tap to get the reverse signal? thanks

Last edited by k-man; 02-15-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
The camera I installed is a Boyo VTL425HDL.

As for the reverse signal pin, you'll need to refer to the electrical diagram to find it. See Connector C pin 21 (Connector C is one of the larger sized connector 'blocks'. You'll need to lower that little panel that located just in front of the fuse panel so you can see everything. What I did was get a wire tap and just tapped into the wire that is coming out of pin 21. No pix of the install though. Sorry.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member

As for the reverse signal pin, you'll need to refer to the electrical diagram to find it. See Connector C pin 21 (Connector C is one of the larger sized connector 'blocks'. You'll need to lower that little panel that located just in front of the fuse panel so you can see everything. What I did was get a wire tap and just tapped into the wire that is coming out of pin 21. No pix of the install though. Sorry.
Thanks that is helpful.

Given that you used the licence plate frame mounted camera, did you have to drill a hole in the metal of the hatch to run the wire?

Old 05-03-2014, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Sort of a late reply...sorry.

I wanted to avoid if at all possible drilling any holes. I ended up routing the wire through the big rubber grommet where the wiper arm attaches to the motor. Look up underneath the license plate cover where the license plate bulbs are. At the FAR right, you'll see the silver dollar sized black grommet. I drilled a small hole in this and routed the wire through it. Works perfectly.

You obviously then have to take the hatch panel cover off so you can get access to the wire.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:40 PM

where can i find connector c?
or the wiring diagram?

thanks for the help

Old 11-26-2016, 09:08 PM
Got it...found the wire ...back up camera working great...

Old 12-03-2016, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by nald
Got it...found the wire ...back up camera working great...
Care to share where you found it? Is it on the driver side or passenger side?

Old 12-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by j76425
Care to share where you found it? Is it on the driver side or passenger side?
here you go....driver side

Attached Thumbnails Backup camera - How did you run the wiring?-camera.jpg   Backup camera - How did you run the wiring?-reverse-wire-2.jpg   Backup camera - How did you run the wiring?-reverse-wire.jpg   Backup camera - How did you run the wiring?-reverse-screen-view.jpg  
Old 12-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by nald
here you go....driver side
Thanks!!!!! I'll go take a look now.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:35 AM
I patched the "Reverse In" from my headunit (Sony XAV-AX100) into Connector C Pin 21 (the dark green one) today and ran into weird issue:

- On switching to reverse, headunit switches to camera mode
- On switching to another gear, headunit "switches" but ends up still in camera mode
- I can manually press home and exit camera mode

Camera Power is from head unit harness Accessory/Ignition Wire. Camera Ground is from head unit harness ground wire.

Any thoughts? 2010 Honda Fit Sport.