2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

In dash DVD: options to limit driver side viewing

Old 05-17-2016, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
In dash DVD: options to limit driver side viewing

Hey guys,

I'm getting a new radio installed and considering getting the bypass installed so my wife can view along with the rear passengers. The only issue that I currently have is being partially distracted while we are moving.

I'll be doing a number of road trips along the eastern sea board and going to canada, I believe a number of states make it illegal for the driver to view while the car is in motion.

So I ask: is there something I can use to block my viewing angle?

I considered installing a separate tv/monitor for the passenger side but wasnt sure if there was something available... Initially was looking for a small TV with rca hook ups, but nothing came up for car use. Some of the other options (roof mounted screens) weren't cost effective either.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:08 PM
Check the laws carefully. Some states require that the screen not be visible to the driver if it's in use while the car is in motion (unless it's a driving related function), but others require that it be physically located behind the driver's back, regardless of whether it can be seen or not.

One would hope that law enforcement officers would follow the intent of the law more closely than the precise wording, but that's certainly not a given.

I was helping drive on a road trip once awhile ago with some friends in one of the friend's cars, and he had a DVD playing in the center console while I was driving. I did not find it hard at all to not be distracted by the screen, but of course everybody is different. I suspect the laws are written in large part because some people really want to be distracted as they drive....

Old 05-19-2016, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrewE
Check the laws carefully. Some states require that the screen not be visible to the driver if it's in use while the car is in motion (unless it's a driving related function), but others require that it be physically located behind the driver's back, regardless of whether it can be seen or not.

One would hope that law enforcement officers would follow the intent of the law more closely than the precise wording, but that's certainly not a given.

I was helping drive on a road trip once awhile ago with some friends in one of the friend's cars, and he had a DVD playing in the center console while I was driving. I did not find it hard at all to not be distracted by the screen, but of course everybody is different. I suspect the laws are written in large part because some people really want to be distracted as they drive....
exactly.

i feel like i would be ok on the open highway or if my wife wants to watch a chick flick....

probably gonna just stick to audio when its stop and go to avoid temptation/ticket/totaled lol