2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

DIY bumper removal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
DIY bumper removal?

Hey guys.

I'm considering swapping my horn with a nicer sounding one, and if I can do it myself that would be great.

Question: Is it ez to remove the front bumper myself? Do I need special tools or instructions?

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:47 AM
Not to come off rude or anything but jeez you seem like a hard person to please. First the dashboard now the bumper? LOL It´s brand new and you´re already over the new car adrenaline rush?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Arashi
Not to come off rude or anything but jeez you seem like a hard person to please. First the dashboard now the bumper? LOL It´s brand new and you´re already over the new car adrenaline rush?
he doesn't even like the horn!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
i don't know about the new '09s, but it should be the same as any other recent honda.

the bumper should be easy to remove. there will be a bunch of clips and bolts on the top under the hood and under the bumper. usually 1 bolt in each of the front wheel wells too. then it should just pull off. pull it carefully. pull from the sides near the headlight.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the instructions, tofuman.

In response to Arashi...I may be hard to please (with regard to cars), but if your past 2 recent cars were absolute lemons - countless rattles that can't be fixed after tons of dealer visits, and other significant drivable issues, I think you would be too. I want to make sure my car isn't problematic. And anyway, usually new cars have some bugs or kinks inherent in them that I normally address right after delivery. Once that's done, the car is good. You can understand, right?

As for the horn, here in LA, you need a good loud horn to keep safe. The Fit's horn is too soft, and just the tone of the horn doesn't get respect from other drivers. I hear it's a $20 job to swap horns, so why not, right?

So far I am absolutely loving my Fit. Aside from the one minor rattle, it's rock solid as expected. Plus I'm averaging 40-41 mpg right now in mixed driving!

Thanks again, guys.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
you should pick up a junkyard ford crown victoria horn. those sound nice and are loud enough for the city.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by waraeor
Thanks for the instructions, tofuman.

In response to Arashi...I may be hard to please (with regard to cars), but if your past 2 recent cars were absolute lemons - countless rattles that can't be fixed after tons of dealer visits, and other significant drivable issues, I think you would be too. I want to make sure my car isn't problematic. And anyway, usually new cars have some bugs or kinks inherent in them that I normally address right after delivery. Once that's done, the car is good. You can understand, right?

As for the horn, here in LA, you need a good loud horn to keep safe. The Fit's horn is too soft, and just the tone of the horn doesn't get respect from other drivers. I hear it's a $20 job to swap horns, so why not, right?

So far I am absolutely loving my Fit. Aside from the one minor rattle, it's rock solid as expected. Plus I'm averaging 40-41 mpg right now in mixed driving!

Thanks again, guys.

Ive actually had more than my fair share of lemons (Im an ex VW driver). As far as the Fit goes, the horn works REALLY well at least on the GD, it sounds like a Pilot. I drive mostly down here in the IE, OC and San Diego so drivers tend to be a bit more sane and I have only needed to use my horn a couple of times, and they were probably when I was visiting friends in LA, haha. It has in the past had some creaks and rattles but over time they disappeared mysteriously on their own. If you have ever owned a Mark 4 VW, no rattle a Honda could ever produce would even come close. lol
Besides, who cares about them anyway? Just turn the radio up!