2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post...getting my fit...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 06:49 PM
First post...getting my fit...

a white sport, manual early Dec. I live in Lufkin, Tx. and I'm going to U of Houston next semester so a new car with good gas mileage was in the works. None in stock in home town so I'll be putting my down on after Thanksgiving and will be here in time for me to work on it a bit before the Spring semester. Here are some few questions I have

1. I really like the rims on the 09 over the previous models. It actually looks like aftermarket rims. I have a friend that powder coats, jet coats, and chromes for a living. What does everyone think of powder coating the stock rims over buying aftermarket?

2. My car has to be lowered. I don't mind spending money on a quality ride. I have a set of Tein SS coilovers on my 99 hatch but I haven't seen any for the 09. Any idea on when quality springs or coilovers will be out for this model?

3. I'm moving from a city that has 30 thousand people to a city with over a million...hell U of H has more than 35 thousand students. I can't fathom paying so much for the factory navigation. Anyone here using a flip out monitor in there fit? A navi is a must for me. Don't want to end up in H towns ghetto after dark lol.

Thanks alot for any answers you can give me. Great forum.

Last edited by sway; 10-22-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
Congrats on going with the Fit! Mine is supposed to hit the Honda dealership on Saturday. About the powdercoating, I'd say go for it. I just sold my del sol on Monday, and I had 95 Integra GSR rims on it that were powdercoated white. They were hard to keep clean, but absolutely nothing took even a chip out of them.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:13 PM
well its my friend thats doing it and he triple bakes them. He jet coated a header for my h22 and the thing was flawless. He is only going to charge me for the actually coating. Free sand blasting, painting, and baking, so it will come out to 50 dollars or so for all 4 rims.

Thinking of going with a goldish-bronze or a bluing the spolks and coating the drum black. Not sure. I'll have to have some photo shops done before commiting.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Are you planning on buying it in Dec? or putting down the deposit then? Most people are experiencing delays in getting the car, unless you plan on buying one on the lot (they're selling quick though). If you need it by Dec. I'd suggest putting the down payment now, and doing the paperwork, cause it might take a while.

Originally Posted by sway
1. I really like the rims on the 09 over the previous models. It actually looks like aftermarket rims. I have a friend that powder coats, jet coats, and chromes for a living. What does everyone think of powder coating the stock rims over buying aftermarket?
I would definately powder coat the rims if I could find a reliable shop. Especially if you're fond of them already and you got a hook up, definately do it and post up the pics when they're done.

2. My car has to be lowered. I don't mind spending money on a quality ride. I have a set of Tein SS coilovers on my 99 hatch but I haven't seen any for the 09. Any idea on when quality springs or coilovers will be out for this model?
Check the first thread in this forum, JDM_DOHC_SiR is the one you need to pm and find out what's available. JDM's got the hook up.

3. I'm moving from a city that has 30 thousand people to a city with over a million...hell U of H has more than 35 thousand students. I can't fathom paying so much for the factory navigation. Anyone here using a flip out monitor in there fit? A navi is a must for me. Don't want to end up in H towns ghetto after dark lol.

Thanks alot for any answers you can give me. Great forum.
The Sport Navi also has VSA, and volume controls on the steering wheel, so it costs more. Most opt to get an after market GPS, check the other threads one where people are trying to find the best place to mount it. I went with the NAVI and I'm looking at a total of a 2 month wait.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:03 PM
yeah don't get me wrong the navi is nice, in fact it would be a must if only it played dvds lol.

Actually the down will be placed around Thanksgiving...they searched and found several white sport manuals for dealer trade on Monday. They guaranteed if they didn't have any for dealer trade around Thanksgiving they would within 4 weeks. I guess since I'm in Lufkin and sandwiched between Houston and Louisiana they can make that promise.

I live in a small town but our tiny dealership (two salesman) gets s2000's and has sold 4 Mugen si's over the last couple of months. They have good relations with other dealers.

Thanks for answering and sorry to hear for the wait though.

Last edited by sway; 10-23-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Good choice.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Lets see a pic of your EK!!!

I'd say get brand new rims and sell your stock ones if you can.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Congrats.

I think a portable GPS is the way to go. You can take it with you if you ever have to go somewhere on public transit or on a road trip in someone else's car. A decent GPS like a Garmin Nuvi is only a couple hundred bucks.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Sport Navi MT, Im gonna have to wait. But after test driving the AT it's definately not for me, the paddles are not to my liking, although many others do enjoy them.

Good luck with your purchase, and I hope you do get it within 4 weeks. The non Navi's MT's are easier to get than the Navi's...MT ftw!! lol.. Enjoy it.

Oh wrt the Navi, I'm gonna probably wind up switching it out eventually for a Bluetooth, DVD, Navi unit that I can hopefully integrate with my steering wheel audio controls, but that wont be till many years down the line.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by winsanity
Lets see a pic of your EK!!!

I'd say get brand new rims and sell your stock ones if you can.
I'll need to take some new pics. Going to sell it soon so I'll make sure to post them. Car salesman asked if I was going to trade it in, told her I don't think people come to car lots looking for swapped Hondas. this was the look on her face.

Any idea what the new rims can catch? Not sure if I would sell with the weight of them being pretty close to aftermarket. Then again I don't want people thinking I'm a cheap ass and just rattle caned them either.