2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Jacking Points

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Jacking Points

Does anyone know besides the 4 side points, what other points can be used to jack the car up with a floor jack?

I think I see what might be a rear jack point - there's a rectangle piece in the middle about 2 feet in from the rear center of the bumper. Can't seem to find any that might be for the front.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Merchant / Group Buy Organizer ( non-certified )
Most all Hondas have a rear tow hook which can be used to jack up the rear. There should also be a jacking point under the front center of the car on the frame. There is an arrow pointing to the jacking point on my Civic but I'm not familiar with the 09 Fit. Your owners manual should also have this information.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Fa1
Originally Posted by neteng101
Does anyone know besides the 4 side points, what other points can be used to jack the car up with a floor jack?

I think I see what might be a rear jack point - there's a rectangle piece in the middle about 2 feet in from the rear center of the bumper. Can't seem to find any that might be for the front.
Yep, that's the rear jacking point. The tow hook is NOT a jacking point although many people believe so and do so.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:32 AM
The tow hook is reinforced and designed to be used to tow the vehicle. What makes it an inadequate jacking point?

Old 10-28-2008, 12:49 AM
Name:  Jack.jpg
Views: 38440
Size:  37.2 KB
Name:  jack2.jpg
Views: 32550
Size:  45.4 KB

Old 10-28-2008, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fa1
Yep, that's the rear jacking point. The tow hook is NOT a jacking point although many people believe so and do so.

Manual only states certain jack points, but it is ok to jack from the tow hook.

That might be the jacking bracket. Front should have something similar like a tow hook more to the driver side (I think).

Last edited by Neebs; 10-28-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:53 AM
Fa1
You're jacking up at one point instead of a flat surface. Why would Honda put a bracket in the rear to jack the car up if the tow hook was sufficient? I'll do what Honda says to do and use the bracket. If you want to use the tow hook, I have no problem against that or yourself.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:02 AM
Where does Honda say to use a rear bracket to jack up the car?^^

Old 10-28-2008, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member
the front frame is WAY deep... can't reach it with the best of jacks.

i've done the rear jack point and sides...

Old 10-28-2008, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fa1
You're jacking up at one point instead of a flat surface. Why would Honda put a bracket in the rear to jack the car up if the tow hook was sufficient? I'll do what Honda says to do and use the bracket. If you want to use the tow hook, I have no problem against that or yourself.
Guess the tow hook is more accessible, who knows?

Last edited by Neebs; 10-28-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mole177
the front frame is WAY deep... can't reach it with the best of jacks.

i've done the rear jack point and sides...
maybe you dont have the best jack

i kid

Old 10-28-2008, 03:37 AM
Fa1
Originally Posted by TFB Designs
Where does Honda say to use a rear bracket to jack up the car?^^
In the helms manual.

There was even a whole other thread on this:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...hat-thing.html

Old 10-28-2008, 03:43 AM
Fa1
Here is the part number for the bracket too:
65517-SLN-A00ZZ
STIFFENER, RR. JACK

Old 10-28-2008, 05:47 AM
5 Year Member
This section of the forum is for 2nd gen. Some information posted above is for 1st gen and Civic. Could we keep this about the 2nd gen please. Thanks.

I too have the same question as the thread poster.

I noticed the rectangular spot under the center of the spare tire well. Not sure if that's the proper spot. Doesn't look strong enough to me.

When looking for the front spot, I find nothing appropriate there.

I hope someone can enlighten us about this new model.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
First of all - unless I missed something - there is no rear tow hook on my GE8 Sport... so that's a moot point. There's nothing up front either near the radiator where there is for some other Hondas. And that rectangular piece upon closer inspection doesn't look to be the strongest of points, so I'm not sure if its for jacking the car up. The front cross member is way deep from the front behind the engine about where the driver's pedals might be at.

We do have a mount on front tow hook for GE8s though, that screws into the bumper behind a cover that comes with a whole bunch of caveats about using it. And the owner's manual only shows the four side jacking points.

So at this point, I still have only the 4 side points that I'm really sure about.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Banned
First of all - unless I missed something - there is no rear tow hook on my GE8 Sport... so that's a moot point. There's nothing up front either near the radiator where there is for some other Hondas. And that rectangular piece upon closer inspection doesn't look to be the strongest of points, so I'm not sure if its for jacking the car up. The front cross member is way deep from the front behind the engine about where the driver's pedals might be at.

We do have a mount on front tow hook for GE8s though, that screws into the bumper behind a cover that comes with a whole bunch of caveats about using it. And the owner's manual only shows the four side jacking points.

So at this point, I still have only the 4 side points that I'm really sure about.
The plate between the rear wheels is the jacking point. I totaled my GD3 two weeks ago, and will pick up a GE8 replacement Fit in a couple of days. Will post here whatever info. my new owners manual states to back up my first sentence, and when my Helms Service manual arrives, will post what it says also. The tow hook, if the car has one, is a poor jacking point because it is dangerous- you are balancing the entire weight of the back of the car on a round, painted bolt that only has about 1/16" of contact area with the jack. The GD3 jacking bracket is big and triangular, the GE8 bracket is big and flat-- both of them are much safer surfaces for the lifting pad of a hydraulic floor jack.

If you want to balance your car on a tiny piece of painted, slippery metal, be my guest. When you wear the paint off the hook, it will rust.

The jacking point for the front of the GD3 and the GE8 is the metal plate between the front wheels. Harbor Freight and Costco both sell aluminum, low profile racing floor jacks, for around $100. Or, you can use plastic ramps available from Amazon for around $35.00.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fa1
In the helms manual.

There was even a whole other thread on this:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...hat-thing.html
Whatever it is, I have jacked my Fit up with it several times with no problems.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
The jacking point for the front of the GD3 and the GE8 is the metal plate between the front wheels. Harbor Freight and Costco both sell aluminum, low profile racing floor jacks, for around $100. Or, you can use plastic ramps available from Amazon for around $35.00.
Is this black, right in the center of the cross member? I think I might try taking some photos this evening and posting them so others can see if we have the right points.

Any recommendations on jacks? I can find one from Harbor Freight that isn't too expensive...

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Or should one go for a quick pump jack?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm glad I read this thread before ever jacking up the Fit. The diagram with the jacking points shown is for the Civic. On the Civic there isn't an apparent rear jacking point other than the tow hook. Someone please confirm that these are the correct jacking points for the GD3:

Front
Name:  JackFront.jpg
Views: 21431
Size:  52.9 KB

Rear
Name:  JackRear.jpg
Views: 20873
Size:  57.4 KB
I find it weird that this thing has a hole in the middle where the jack will go.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:54 PM
I thought this was the GE8 thread. ^^^

Anyways, I looked at my car and there is a hole in the bumper where you screw in the tow hook. That most definitely looks like a really bad place to jack up your car, since you would most likely just rip your rear bumper off, jacking up your car. I'm guessing you guys might already know this but...

If I'm wrong about this, please correct me since I had just recently discovered the rear tow hook location...

Quick Reply: Jacking Points