2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Fit winter front windshield ice problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 02:50 PM
09 Fit winter front windshield ice problems

I have a new '09 Fit. I am in Southern Maine. We just had our first real snow. I love the Fit, but found I was having a serious problem.

It was snowing hard and fairly cold. Cold enough to be all powder snow, with no ice. I had the car all warmed up and the defrost on high. But I couldn't keep the central and upper part of the windshield clear of ice buildup, mostly on the driver's side.

It seemed like the combination of the water accumulating on the bottom of the windshield and the wipers, and that the upper part of the windshield wasn't getting warm enough, that was causing the problem. The large driver's side wiper also seem to be a problem.

Any suggestions from people who are using the car in northern snow belt areas and Canada? Are there any adjustments possible to the vents that hit the front windshield? (There are obviously side vents, but these don't direct air on the windshield.) Is there any sort of de-icer I could use instead of windshield washer fluid?

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2008, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm...do you have AC turned on? If you don't that might help so that it gets rid of the moisture. I have found that my front windshield will fog up quite easily if I turn the vents away from defrost for too long, so I'd recommend keeping it there. We're currently close to -30 C and I haven't really noticed any fogging on the front windshields when i'm in defrost mode.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Banned
Use 8 ounces of denatured alcohol in a fresh fill-up of regular windshield washer solvent. It is available from Ace Hardware stores and Home Depot. That will prevent freezing of your washer solvent, and prevent ice buildup on the glass.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:13 PM
I just got this stuff put on CrystalFusion (this link is to 4 videos). So far it seems to work pretty well. I was out earlier today (in mn, getting nailed with snow) and I didn't have any problems with buildup on my windscreen, even on the highway. A freind had this stuff put on a couple of years ago, still works. I had it put on at a professional detailer shop I've used in the past for the 3m invisishield stuff.

Another option is Rain-X versus PPG Aquapel: Grudge Match - Autoblog Another friend uses this, not permanent, but lasts longer then rainx. I'm ordering some to put on my mirrors, and back window.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by drbugs
I just got this stuff put on CrystalFusion (this link is to 4 videos). So far it seems to work pretty well. I was out earlier today (in mn, getting nailed with snow) and I didn't have any problems with buildup on my windscreen, even on the highway. A freind had this stuff put on a couple of years ago, still works. I had it put on at a professional detailer shop I've used in the past for the 3m invisishield stuff.

Another option is Rain-X versus PPG Aquapel: Grudge Match - Autoblog Another friend uses this, not permanent, but lasts longer then rainx. I'm ordering some to put on my mirrors, and back window.
Crystal Fusion must be pretty new. How much was it?
can it be applied yourself?
Thanks

Old 12-21-2008, 01:51 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Use 8 ounces of denatured alcohol in a fresh fill-up of regular windshield washer solvent. It is available from Ace Hardware stores and Home Depot. That will prevent freezing of your washer solvent, and prevent ice buildup on the glass.
I don't know about California? But, they do sell winter washer/de-icing fluid in my part of the country. There is no need to go through all that trouble.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:55 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by arnenewfit
I have a new '09 Fit. I am in Southern Maine. We just had our first real snow. I love the Fit, but found I was having a serious problem.

It was snowing hard and fairly cold. Cold enough to be all powder snow, with no ice. I had the car all warmed up and the defrost on high. But I couldn't keep the central and upper part of the windshield clear of ice buildup, mostly on the driver's side.

It seemed like the combination of the water accumulating on the bottom of the windshield and the wipers, and that the upper part of the windshield wasn't getting warm enough, that was causing the problem. The large driver's side wiper also seem to be a problem.

Any suggestions from people who are using the car in northern snow belt areas and Canada? Are there any adjustments possible to the vents that hit the front windshield? (There are obviously side vents, but these don't direct air on the windshield.) Is there any sort of de-icer I could use instead of windshield washer fluid?

Thanks!
Just goto your local hardware or auto store. They should have deffierent brands of de-icing washer fluid.

Prestone :: Products : Windshield Washer Fluids

Old 12-21-2008, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
I usually cover my windshield with a cardboard. Helps out so I don't have to water down the windshield and be late for school.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:15 AM
I just bought some washer fluid that has de-icer in it. However, I am having problems with the side windows in the back icing up and my daughter noticed that the cold air is coming in through arm rests on the doors. I am like what the heck! Any suggestions on how to keep ALL the windows from icing up or what not????

Old 12-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Rain-x de-icer vs Prestone?

Thanks for the feedback. I did call the service dept and found out about the washer fluid de-icers.

I had to get some de-icing additive as my washer fluid tank was full of regular fluid. Once that's gone I'll switch to de-icing fluid.

Both Prestone and Rain-X make a de-icer product. Any one have a preference?

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2008, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Funny you mentioned this because I just experienced this today on my drive to work. I live in Boston and we are getting hit hard with a storm as I type this. The top half of my windshield was frozen with water molecules and the bottom part was fine. I had to turn up the dial to 2 and that solved my problem. I might look into the Aquapel though

Old 12-21-2008, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
I wonder if the fact that the AC is on in defrost mode could add to this problem. It might blow hotter without the AC. See the thread about disabling it: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...c-defrost.html

Old 12-21-2008, 04:04 PM
confused about AC disable on '09

Virtual,

After reading the thread on disabling the automatic AC when in defrost, I'm a bit confused.

Does the ignition/button method that umop-apisdn offered work on the '09 Fit? I have a USA model, if that matters.

Or do I need to go the route of unplugging the switch?

Also, If I disable the auto AC with the ignition/button method is there a way to revert back to the factory setting?

Thanks, Arne

Old 12-21-2008, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by arnenewfit
Virtual,

After reading the thread on disabling the automatic AC when in defrost, I'm a bit confused.

Does the ignition/button method that umop-apisdn offered work on the '09 Fit? I have a USA model, if that matters.

Or do I need to go the route of unplugging the switch?

Also, If I disable the auto AC with the ignition/button method is there a way to revert back to the factory setting?

Thanks, Arne
No the ignition/button method does not work.

The unplugging method is the only way.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tork
Crystal Fusion must be pretty new. How much was it?
can it be applied yourself?
Thanks
Sorry for the wait, busy weekend. I got the CF as part of a paint package, so I don't know the price for just that. I don't expect it is much. I don't know if you can get it to apply yourself either. I had a detail shop that I've dealt with in the past apply it. you may want to call a few of your local detailer shops. Thats how I found mine (got the 3m invisishield put on my old 99 vw passat).

As far as the aquapel, another friend uses it. I can't find it local, so will probably order online.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:12 PM
?????

Originally Posted by manxman
This seems like a MUCH cheaper alternative to spending nearly $3.00 a gallon for the washerfluid already mixed w/ "antifreeze."

Is denatured alcohol bad for the paint or hard on the cars reservoir/pee'ers?

Old 12-23-2008, 02:20 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by MIKETOMEK
This seems like a MUCH cheaper alternative to spending nearly $3.00 a gallon for the washerfluid already mixed w/ "antifreeze."

Is denatured alcohol bad for the paint or hard on the cars reservoir/pee'ers?
Not at all. I have used this method to improve cleaning of the glass and prevent freezing for over 20 years.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:12 AM
what detail place did you have this done at in Minnesota? I sent you a private message but you did not respond. I would also like this done.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by boots11234
what detail place did you have this done at in Minnesota? I sent you a private message but you did not respond. I would also like this done.
I PM'd you. Just got back from out of town.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Got a Bosch Icon wiper for the driver's side (AFAIK, they don't make one short enough for the passenger's side). I've used these before; they combine an anti-lift airfoil, GREAT wiping, and they act like a winter wiper, with no external bars to collect ice/snow.

As regards the A/C compressor running and making the defrost air less hot, the normal design practice is to not run the compressor below say, 25*.
I don't know if the Honda works this way or not.

It won't matter for the outside ice, but those experiencing inside fogging, make sure the lever is not set for recirculation. If you already knew that, I do apologize.
Moon

ETA-
Some types of snow, or snow falling very hard, are beyond the ability of any defroster to defeat.
M

Last edited by halfmoonclip; 12-28-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 09 Fit winter front windshield ice problems