2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Anti-Theft fee?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Anti-Theft fee?

Heeey, I live in Ontario(Canada) and just bought a fit that I'm picking up next week... and was wondering if anyone knew what exactly this fee was for

OMVIC, Anti-Theft $398.00

I know the OMVIC fee is $5 and is added on to a sale of any car in ontario but that means $393 is for anti theft?... what exactly might i be paying for there. I know of a few opitonal fee's that some GM dealers have in the area for a car tracking program or something... but i doubt it is for anything like that or the guy would have probably told me about it..(but then again maybe not..)... I didn't notice this fee untill i got home... I don't really care that much about it I am just wondering if the dealer is scamming me or if it is actually for something...

I bought the 2009 Fit Sport Manual (which i know has a factory alarm system)

Old 01-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
they install a security system?

Old 01-09-2009, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
it's VIN etching, whereby the etch the VIN # onto various parts of the cars, like doors, windows, etc. It's supposed to prevent thieves from stealing your car selling it or parting it out, since the VIN # would be etched into a lot of the main pieces of the body, and should only be placed on a car with the matching VIN number. That's the reason in a nutshell, for more details, wikipedia is your friend:

VIN etching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A lot of companies charge for it now, and have it included automatically. Only if you insist that you don't want it will they "take it off" or in some cases they might just throw it in for you if you're being a b*tchy baby. Also, it brings down insurance costs a little bit too.

Cheers

Old 01-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
lol dealers use to offer that crap in the US long time ago.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by kaboomcanuck
Heeey, I live in Ontario(Canada) and just bought a fit that I'm picking up next week... and was wondering if anyone knew what exactly this fee was for

OMVIC, Anti-Theft $398.00

I know the OMVIC fee is $5 and is added on to a sale of any car in ontario but that means $393 is for anti theft?... what exactly might i be paying for there. I know of a few opitonal fee's that some GM dealers have in the area for a car tracking program or something... but i doubt it is for anything like that or the guy would have probably told me about it..(but then again maybe not..)... I didn't notice this fee untill i got home... I don't really care that much about it I am just wondering if the dealer is scamming me or if it is actually for something...

I bought the 2009 Fit Sport Manual (which i know has a factory alarm system)
Read here:
http://www.omvic.on.ca/pdf/OMVIC%20b...r%202005-2.pdf

Sounds to me like Ontario law ensures that you have the right to pay nothing for such add-ons. You may have a problem if you signed something in agreeing to this that you might not have noticed in the big stack of paperwork you signed. If you didn't sign anything agreeing to it, or were never informed that it was an optional add-on, it appears to me they may have to refund you that money.

Good luck. It won't be fun.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the info