2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Manual Transmission Fluid Change

Old 01-17-2009, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
Talking Manual Transmission Fluid Change

How often should I change the manual transmission fluid? I got my 2009 Fit Sports less than 2 months ago. It should be a while before I need to change it. Just thinking ahead. Also the owner manual mentions a fill plug for checking fluid level. Is there a drain plug also? If not it will be a pain to suck out the old fluid. What kind of MTF should I use? On my 2002 G20 I use Redline MT-90. Can I use that on the Fit also?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
It should mention the interval in the owners manual, but I usually change it every 2-3 years. I would just stick with Honda MTF.

In order to change the fluid, just raise the car on a level floor. Open the fill plug first! If you open the drain plug but can't open the fill plug, then you are screwed. Once you open the fill plug, then open the drain plug and drain the fluid. Replace the drain pllug with a new washer. Add MTF until it just starts dribbling out the fill hole, then replace the fill plug with a new washer.

One trick I use to transfer the MTF from the bottle into the tranny is to poke 2 holes in the bottle cap, use 2 pieces of plastic tubing, and use an air compressor to force the fluid out of the bottle into the transmission.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Olyar15
One trick I use to transfer the MTF from the bottle into the tranny is to poke 2 holes in the bottle cap, use 2 pieces of plastic tubing, and use an air compressor to force the fluid out of the bottle into the transmission.
Simply using a funnel and a long section of tubing does the job.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Best way to fill that I have found is using a ~ $3 hand pump that you can get at most any auto parts store. If you're REAL lucky, it might even have "threads" that match those on the bottle of MTF. Agree with the earlier poster that best luck I've had with my current / previous Honda's with MT is to use the Honda fluid. Also absolutely, 100% agree with the advice to make sure you can open the fill port before you open the drain port ... guess how hard it is to find a 33mm socket wrench for the (Mazda Miata's) fill port (when the drain port uses a 34mm that I had) on a Sunday afternoon ... yikes, brings back "old memories".

Old 01-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Red face

An auto expert i once spoke with said it's important for NEW car owners to change both engine and transmission fluids after the first 1,500 miles--he said studies show that period is when most of the metal shavings get thrown into the fluid and you do not want them around if you want your car to age well!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
I think the MT fluid should be at 20K miles (regardless if the book says longer).
It is not exposed to combustion contaminents, but it is milled between the gears constantly.
On both my GD and GE, the syncros seemed sluggish at 20K particularly in colder weather..

Advice above is very good about the washer etc.

on a related note, this thread could be interesting
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...nny-fluid.html

Old 01-29-2010, 11:25 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Hondas use a very lightweight oil in the transmission, more like 30W than 90W. So no, don't put Redline 90W in your Fit.

As for change intervals, "a long, long time" is about as official as I've seen. I'm going to go with 60K miles for my own peace of mind.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dasteph
An auto expert i once spoke with said it's important for NEW car owners to change both engine and transmission fluids after the first 1,500 miles--he said studies show that period is when most of the metal shavings get thrown into the fluid and you do not want them around if you want your car to age well!
The auto experts at Honda disagree.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:28 AM
It also helps a ton to warm the bottles of tranny juice before trying to pour/pump them. You can sit the bottles in the sun, soak 'em in hot water, I've even put 'em in the oven on 200 for a few minutes. Getting the fluid warm makes it thinner and much easier/quicker to pour.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:57 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by wdb
Hondas use a very lightweight oil in the transmission, more like 30W than 90W.
From page 260 of my owner's manual:

"If Honda MTF is not available, you may use an SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40 viscosity motor oil with the API Certification seal"

To answer the OP's question, I wouldn't use anything other than Honda MTF. I know plenty of people will disagree with that, but unlike motor oil, I believe it's much more important to use the Honda brand tranny fluid.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
I would do it every 50,000km or 2 years. I learned this the hard way years ago, when the previous owner of my 94 Civic Si , never changed it and the fluid broke down(chemically) and ate away at the clutch master cylinder seals. I almost had no clutch resistance. Since the seal is part of the overall mater cylinder, it had to be replaced at a cost of $350. $60 every 2 years for fluid change is much better and less hassle than replacing the whole damn thing!

Old 01-30-2010, 08:20 AM
...But trans fluid has nothing to do with the clutch system....

That being said, its also a good idea to bleed and flush the brake and clutch hydraulic system as regularly as you service the rest of the car. Most manufacturers suggest brake fluid replacement every 15k miles.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moniz
I would do it every 50,000km or 2 years. I learned this the hard way years ago, when the previous owner of my 94 Civic Si , never changed it and the fluid broke down(chemically) and ate away at the clutch master cylinder seals. I almost had no clutch resistance. Since the seal is part of the overall mater cylinder, it had to be replaced at a cost of $350. $60 every 2 years for fluid change is much better and less hassle than replacing the whole damn thing!
$60? Wow that seems a lot to me. How much does a couple of liters of oil cost? There's no filter, just a drain plug and a fill plug. Do the job yourself and save your money.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
$60? Wow that seems a lot to me. How much does a couple of liters of oil cost? There's no filter, just a drain plug and a fill plug. Do the job yourself and save your money.
My time is far more valuable. The dealers got the proper tools, space, and has it done in an hour. It would take me that long just to get set up, and I don't have the space in my tiny drive/garage.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:59 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moniz
I would do it every 50,000km or 2 years. I learned this the hard way years ago, when the previous owner of my 94 Civic Si , never changed it and the fluid broke down(chemically) and ate away at the clutch master cylinder seals.
Misinformation alert!

You appear to be talking about the hydraulic (brake) fluid in the clutch actuation system, which consists of a master cylinder and a slave cylinder. You're absolutely correct in stating that that fluid can deteriorate over time, most particularly when exposed to extremely high temperatures and/or high humidity.

We're talking about the stuff inside the transmission.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdb
Misinformation alert!

You appear to be talking about the hydraulic (brake) fluid in the clutch actuation system, which consists of a master cylinder and a slave cylinder. You're absolutely correct in stating that that fluid can deteriorate over time, most particularly when exposed to extremely high temperatures and/or high humidity.

We're talking about the stuff inside the transmission.
My bad, mis-read the thread. But good advice anyway!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
M/T Oil Change

Has anyone done M/T oil change on a GE Fit yet? I looked under the car when I changed engine oil last time. It seems like I have to take the plastic cover off in order to get to the fill and drain bolts. Please confirm.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
that was one thing i found weird about hondas... i noticed many people changing their manual transmission fluids regularly

i was on the dark side for 7 years or so and previous car i drove (mustang) only needed a manual transmission fluid change every 100,000 miles (according to what Ford recommended for the manual transmission)..

but i guess for honda's defense atleast we can change our motor oil every 10,000 miles instead of 3,000 miles on a Ford.. that was a major pain for me.

you would expect a transmission fluid change from an automatic.. but for a manual? that factory fill is supposed to last for the life of the car on some vehicles.

Last edited by Vash; 09-27-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:19 PM
for a Honda MT, I would change this at 50,000 miles or every 3 yrs.
you sure do not need to change your OIL Manual transmission oil often!
manual is even less, and I would change it to Amsoil Syncromesh, your car will shift even smoother!!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Planning to do mine at 35k, along with plugs, and pollen filter. A lot of manufacturers don't suggest replacing MTF, and even ATF anymore saying both are "lifetime fills". I really don't believe that.

35k depending on usage and driving seems to be a good medium. I'd also suggest a Spoon, T1R or Kics magnetic drain plug to help keep the shavings off the gears and syncros.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Fluid Change