2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda Fit 2009 GE8: How to Install JDM Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:37 AM
5 Year Member
Honda Fit 2009 GE8: How to Install JDM Emblems

You don't REALLLY NEED a tutorial to do this, but if you've never done this before, this might help. This guide is also meant for folks who are very anal about their car like I am and want to do things perfect.

Besides looking nice, the JDM emblems add at LEAST 2hp EACH to your car! How can you beat that

Standard disclaimer: This is just how I did it. If you follow this and damage your car, I'm not responsible.

Stuff you'll want to have to do this install
  • pliers/clippers
  • dental mirror
  • flat head screwdriver
  • razor blade
  • patience

This is a pretty easy install and not as hard as it was on my 2003 EP3 was. The good news: the USDM GE8 doesn't use adhesive on the emblems that come stock on the car. That means no need for dental floss to remove the emblems. Instead we'll use pliers/clippers.

FRONT EMBLEM INSTALL

Step One:
Get yer emblems ready. Got mine as surprise gift! But JDM_DOHC_SiR (aka Dave) should be able to get you a set!
Part numbers:
Front Type-R badge - 75700-SNW-003
Rear Type-R badge - 75700-S5T-E01

Step Two:
Pop your hood and find all of these on the top of the front grille area.

Removing them is easy. Take your flat head screwdriver and pry UP the middle section. Wiggle the rivet around until it comes loose. Take them all off and put them someplace safe. It will look like this when you're done.

Step Three:
Remove the front grille cover. Simply take it off. Your car will look like this:

Step Four:
If you've got good vision and good lighting, you should be able to see into the front grille area and see that the OEM "H" emblem is being held by two grommets. If you have a hard time seeing it, try using a dental mirror to figure out where they are. You can also just use your fingers to feel it out.
It looks like this from the inside. Pardon the picture, it was night time when i did this:

You'll want to take your pliers/clippers and clip off the ends of the emblem. Just feel around and take your time. I made sure to line the edge of the clippers up to the base of the grommet, then clip the ends. Then you just gently pry the emblem towards you and it should break free. You may hear the sound of the grommets falling off as well. Find them if you can and put them aside with the emblem.

This picture shows where I clipped the ends off on the emblems back side.

Step Five:
First thing I did at this point was to test fit the front emblem to the location. Hmmm. We have a problem. The emblem won't sit flush because there are two raised grooves where the previous emblem was. If the emblem doesn't sit flush, it might get moisture under it and come loose or worse fall off.

Next problem is the new JDM emblem has prongs on the back of it that need to come off. Let's fix this part first. Simply take your clippers, and clip the prongs off. You'll want to clip the plastic prongs off below the adhesive backing so the emblem will sit flush. It might take two or three clips to clip it all the way down below the adhesive.

When you're done the back of the JDM emblem will look like this:

Step Six:
Okay now let's solve the problem we had at the beginning of step five; removing the raised grooves on the front grille. Many people like to sand them off but I find that messy and sometimes you end up scratching the paint and surrounding plastic. I like using a razor blade to level off plastic. Again, I must warn you: razor blades are SHARP and DANGEROUS. Don't do this part if you've been drinking beer with the boys all day. I don't want to hear about bleeding fingers, ok?

Take the razor blad and slide it down until it hits the top of the raised groove like this:

Push down on the top of the razor blade gently until the raised area is scraped off. You may have to do it a few times to get the surface flat. NOTE: Some folks don't do this part but I do. I just want to be SURE that the emblem doesn't fall off or get worked off because it's not flush with the surface.

The finished grille area looks like this:

Step Seven:
Test fit the emblem now. If it sits flush you're ready to install it. Use some alcohol to clean the grille surface gently. Make sure the area is clean before applying the emblem. Peel away the adhesive backing and line up the emblem the way you want and press it down. All done with the front!

Old 01-18-2009, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
Okay Let's do the rear now. It's pretty much the same thing.

Step One:
Pop your trunk and bring the latch handle to eye level. The latch is under the emblem and it's the thing you used to open the trunk! Heh. What you'll want to do is either feel for or use a dental mirror to find the same studs and grommets we saw earlier on the front grille.

This one is a bit more tricky to find but when you do, you can at least guestimate what you need to do to remove the ends of the emblem.

The way I did it was to just stick the clippers under the trunk latch and feel for them with the clippers open. When I found the stud, I simply clamped down on it and cut it off as close to the grommet as I could. Repeat for the other side of the emblem. Then when you are done clipping, pull the emblem off.

The two grommets should fall out from inside the latch and your car will now look like this:

Step Two:
On the JDM emblem, again there are two prongs that you don't need. Clip them off with the clippers. Be sure to clip it below the adhesive so that the emblem will go on flush.

Step Three
Test fit the emblem and make sure it sits flush. The area is slightly curved but don't worry, the emblem will sit flush as long as the ends were clipped properly.

Clean the surface area well then remove the adhesive backing from the emblem and apply.

All done! See that wasn't too bad!

Optional

Put the RS emblem on to add another 1hp!

Finished rear:

I hope that helps someone out there! Good Luck!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:39 AM
Nice! I thought it was like the older models where you needed to dremel/sand down the front for it to fit. Now I can order my emblems!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Retired Moderator
Nice job...

Old 01-18-2009, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Great detailed write up on install~

Old 01-18-2009, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Looks good!!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:29 AM
AWESOME writeup. Great pictures, explanation, etc. Now I just need to get some cash and order those emblems...

Old 01-18-2009, 04:01 PM
nice!!! cant wait till the emblems i ordered come in!!!
also did u juss kind of eye balled the location of the RS emblem or did measure and etc? if u measured and still remember the measurements could u tell us

Old 01-18-2009, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Awesome write up, but I thought the prongs on the jdm emblems were supposed to line up with the holes from the stock emblem. Oh well, still nice to see this, I will be installing mine soon.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
There was a thread about this for the GD3s in one of the other forums, and that guy suggested just taking a small flat-head between the emblem and the car, and just prying it off rather than cut the backside and then taking it off. That would be a quicker method if you don't want to take the plastic cover off, and in both cases you're destroying the stock emblem anyways.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by M4psycho
There was a thread about this for the GD3s in one of the other forums, and that guy suggested just taking a small flat-head between the emblem and the car, and just prying it off rather than cut the backside and then taking it off. That would be a quicker method if you don't want to take the plastic cover off, and in both cases you're destroying the stock emblem anyways.
If you do it that way, you risk the possibility of damaging the rear garnish. You also risk cracking the stock emblems. If you want to go back to stock for whatever reason, my way allows you to do this without damaging the emblem or what's underneath it *(except for shaving down the bumps on the front grill). You'll just need some double stick tape to reapply the old emblems to go back to stock.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Where's a good place to get these emblems?

Old 01-20-2009, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
The RS badge photo shows the metallic quality of the red. Like I said in another post, it really adds some pizzaz (not pizza) to the rear.

When I applied mine, I visually measured its placement. I looked at some JDM photos of where the badge was placed and used that as a guide.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
nice write up kinda makes me wanna do it now

Old 01-20-2009, 01:22 PM
What does the RS badge mean for the Japanese Fit?

Old 01-20-2009, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Road Sailing.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:27 PM
are u doin this locally?

Old 01-20-2009, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Heh, the more I look at the RS emblem the more I want one =p.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikejet
Where's a good place to get these emblems?
PM JDM_DOHC_SiR (aka Dave) for info on this. I was going to pick them up from him when they came in but a friend surprised me with this as a gift.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
The RS badge photo shows the metallic quality of the red. Like I said in another post, it really adds some pizzaz (not pizza) to the rear.

When I applied mine, I visually measured its placement. I looked at some JDM photos of where the badge was placed and used that as a guide.
Yeah I did the same thing. Just tried to line it up with the Fit emblem then eye ball it a bit. I think the RS emblem is really done well. I haven't seen another Honda emblem with the metallic sparkle finish embedded in the clear resin like this one is.

Quick Reply: Honda Fit 2009 GE8: How to Install JDM Emblems