2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metallic tapping noise from engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:59 PM
I have the same ticking noise only at idle and never during acceleration or decel. Every 4 cylinder Honda I've been around makes the same noise at idle. The sound reminds me of a old sewing machine.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by quick92ciFit
I have the same ticking noise only at idle and never during acceleration or decel. Every 4 cylinder Honda I've been around makes the same noise at idle. The sound reminds me of a old sewing machine.
Something like this (my 09 Fit Sport at warm idle)? I can't hear it from inside the car. Does this sound normal?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by pharmpk
Something like this (my 09 Fit Sport at warm idle)? I can't hear it from inside the car. Does this sound normal?
Exactly! sounds normal to me. I can't hear it inside either or when the hood is closed from the outside unless you lay your ear on the hood. If there was something wrong internal engine wise you would definetly feel and notice poor performance while driving.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
The noise you are hearing is the hamsters' claws clicking on the wheels as they run
i thought that noise only comes from the KIA soul

Old 01-30-2010, 12:06 AM
I think it could be pinging after all

I had 2 previous Hondas (1986 Acura Integra RS manual, and 2000 Honda Civic LX automatic) that started pinging about the same time, about 2002-3. Before this, no pinging. But around this time, I began to notice that the engine would start pinging while accelerating, especially up a long uphill grade. I sold the Integra, but had my mechanic look over the Civic. He checked on all the obvious things that could cause pinging, and tried different cleaners too, but couldn't get rid of it. He said it was definitely pinging. Brought it to another mechanic, and same thing, he said it was pinging. This mechanic said the only thing I could do was try a higher grade of gasoline. So, I tried 89 and 91 octane, and that got rid of the pinging, but I hated the idea of having to spend that extra money, especially on a car designed for 87 octane. I began to suspect that it might be the gasoline formulation, at least California gasoline as formulated by California state law. Well, I recently sold the Civic, and bought my current 09 Honda Fit Sport AT. First thing I did when I got the car was to drive it up the same grade on HWY 1 (just north of the town of Pacifica, CA) that I always experienced pinging with my other 2 cars. Sure enough, I could hear it pinging! But only for a few seconds, and then it would gradually go away as I proceeded further uphill. Don't know if I ran out of hill, or if the engine was retarding timing to try to get rid of the pinging. I don't know what other states are following California's lead on fuel formulations, but it would be interesting to see if there's a correlation between certain states and FitFreak members who are experiencing pinging.

Last edited by pioneercmt; 01-30-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
Glad someone had the sense to upload a video clip of the motor running. Someone should now upload a sample of what engine knock and pinging sounds like. In fact every car site on the Internet should make it a sticky, so people actually know what pinging and engine knock sounds like.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:26 AM
my 09 dose it to i thought it was the distrubuter hats were the sound was comening from i always wait for the cold light to go off ALWAYS and only use shell or chevron mines not like the one in the video and it only happons sometimes its more of a click about a half second apart

Last edited by crash001; 01-30-2010 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:37 AM
It happens during acceleration then it sounds like it's detonation/knock.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pioneercmt
I had 2 previous Hondas (1986 Acura Integra RS manual, and 2000 Honda Civic LX automatic) that started pinging about the same time, about 2002-3. Before this, no pinging. But around this time, I began to notice that the engine would start pinging while accelerating, especially up a long uphill grade. I sold the Integra, but had my mechanic look over the Civic. He checked on all the obvious things that could cause pinging, and tried different cleaners too, but couldn't get rid of it. He said it was definitely pinging. Brought it to another mechanic, and same thing, he said it was pinging. This mechanic said the only thing I could do was try a higher grade of gasoline. So, I tried 89 and 91 octane, and that got rid of the pinging, but I hated the idea of having to spend that extra money, especially on a car designed for 87 octane. I began to suspect that it might be the gasoline formulation, at least California gasoline as formulated by California state law. Well, I recently sold the Civic, and bought my current 09 Honda Fit Sport AT. First thing I did when I got the car was to drive it up the same grade on HWY 1 (just north of the town of Pacifica, CA) that I always experienced pinging with my other 2 cars. Sure enough, I could hear it pinging! But only for a few seconds, and then it would gradually go away as I proceeded further uphill. Don't know if I ran out of hill, or if the engine was retarding timing to try to get rid of the pinging. I don't know what other states are following California's lead on fuel formulations, but it would be interesting to see if there's a correlation between certain states and FitFreak members who are experiencing pinging.

Thanks to gasoline demands increasing and the refinery production capacity not, it is rumored that most refineries are formulating for more output at the expense of energy content and octane. There is no spec on energy content and a loss of 5000 btu per lb would only result in a mpg or 2 loss; the octane rating does have a spec and aren't really being defeated but the actual delivered gas may be a lot closer to 87 for regular than a couple of years ago.
You should get pinging on steep uphills as the knock sensor had no reason to retard ignition on level ground but as soon as you use full power available at whatever throttle position knock will occur and the ignition retarded. As you say, as you continue uphill the knock. pinging, goes away just as it should. Using higher octane gas cured it altogether as itshould.
You may try different brands of gasoline too to find the one(s) that have no poinging on regular, Brands, and even refineries of the same brand of gasoline, have different formulations; naturally, some work better than others. It all depends on their crude oil supply and processing efficiencies.
Yes, some crudes yield better gasoline than others.

Last edited by mahout; 01-30-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
I would like to add my experience here about this matter. I also hear this metallic tapping noise on my 2009 GE8 M/T between 1600-1900ish rpm. It is mostly audible at 1st and 2nd gear. When I'm at first gear while driving around a parking lot between 1600-1900 rpm, I would hear this valvetrain noise. I can hear it when I'm inside my car with the windows closed. as I go past 2000 rpm, whether I'm at 1st, 2nd and 3rd, the noise goes away. It's not audible in 4th and 5th as the road noise masks it but I'm positive that this noise I hear is RPM related as I always hear it between 1600-1900 rpm when the engine is fully warmed up.

This noise I hear is heard whether I'm costing at the said rpm range, either in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear, and whether I'm stepping on the gas pedal or completely off the gas pedal. As long as I'm between 1600-1900 rpm, I hear it. It is even heard while I'm parked, bring the engine speed to 1600-1900, I hear it. Blip the throttle and as soon as the rpm drops to 1800 +/-, tapping noise/valvetrain noise is heard.

I'm just waiting for my next oil change to see if the current oil filter in my engine is causing some oil starvation, but I highly doubt it. Just to put it out there, I'm using Purolator Pure One as my current oil filter.

So to sum up this issue I'm having, in my experience, the tapping noise is heard at 1600-1900 rpm, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, whether I'm stepping on the throttle, or off the pedal, or while the car is parked and in neutral, and when the car is fully warmed up, as long as the engine speed is at the said range, it is audible. I don't here it as much in 4th and 5th gear as the road noise masks it out.

Sorry for the lengthy post as I tried to be accurate with you guys in here to give some input about this matter. Seems like it's an issue that needs to be addressed.

Last edited by onemiglandicho; 01-30-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by onemiglandicho
I would like to add my experience here about this matter. I also hear this metallic tapping noise on my 2009 GE8 M/T between 1600-1900ish rpm. It is mostly audible at 1st and 2nd gear. When I'm at first gear while driving around a parking lot between 1600-1900 rpm, I would hear this valvetrain noise. I can hear it when I'm inside my car with the windows closed. as I go past 2000 rpm, whether I'm at 1st, 2nd and 3rd, the noise goes away. It's not audible in 4th and 5th as the road noise masks it but I'm positive that this noise I hear is RPM related as I always hear it between 1600-1900 rpm when the engine is fully warmed up.

This noise I hear is heard whether I'm costing at the said rpm range, either in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear, and whether I'm stepping on the gas pedal or completely off the gas pedal. As long as I'm between 1600-1900 rpm, I hear it. It is even heard while I'm parked, bring the engine speed to 1600-1900, I hear it. Blip the throttle and as soon as the rpm drops to 1800 +/-, tapping noise/valvetrain noise is heard.

I'm just waiting for my next oil change to see if the current oil filter in my engine is causing some oil starvation, but I highly doubt it. Just to put it out there, I'm using Purolator Pure One as my current oil filter.

So to sum up this issue I'm having, in my experience, the tapping noise is heard at 1600-1900 rpm, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, whether I'm stepping on the throttle, or off the pedal, or while the car is parked and in neutral, and when the car is fully warmed up, as long as the engine speed is at the said range, it is audible. I don't here it as much in 4th and 5th gear as the road noise masks it out.

Sorry for the lengthy post as I tried to be accurate with you guys in here to give some input about this matter. Seems like it's an issue that needs to be addressed.

The difference between knocking / pinging and mettalic rappoing is whether the engine is under load. When under load, as in climbing an incline or hard acceleration thats the playground for spark knock, or combustion detonation. On Fitsthat means the gasoline is not good enough in octane and different gas brand or grade is necessary.
Mettalic papping at lite loads and idling is most associated with improper valve clearance. A very light papping is tolerable. One of th dangers of improper valve clearance happens when the clearance doesn't exist so the valve never really closes. If it doesn't really close the valve will 'burn' and increasingly fail to prevent exhaust gases from escaping (on the intake side very bad news). And thast is why regular clearance checks are extremely important.
Too much noise indicates quickly adjusting the valve clearance to prevent 'hammering' damage to your valve stems under load at high rpm.
There's no free lunch; vehicles require attention no matter what marketeers say.

PS: if your filter was starving the oil glow you're engine is getting ready to fail. Hopefully, if your filter is pugging up from too much contaminates filtered due to overly long filter change period, then the oil flow is bypassing your filter ass designed by Honda. It is recirculating however whatever trash is in the oil.

Last edited by mahout; 01-30-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Mahout, I undestand your previous post regarding what you just reiterated to me. Thank you sir. I'm just stating the kind of noise I hear which is w/o a question a valvetrain noise and not a pinging/knocking noise.

As I stated in my previous post, It might be the oil filter that's causing the noise as I suspect an oil starvation issue with the current brand of oil filter I am using, Purolator Pure One. And as state before, I highly doubt that it's the oil filter that's causing the noise, I'm just trying to rule out the oil filter as the culprit after my next oil change. If the noise persists, I will immediately have Honda look at it.

As you said about the oil filter being plugged, I'm not sure if that's the case as I follow the recommended oil change interval at around 15%. The current oil filter I'm using is rated with better oil flow than the older batch of Pure One filter.

I doubt that this is caused by some slight oil starvation at the said rpm range as other members in this thread is saying that they hear tapping noise around 1700 rpm. So if my oil filter is plugged, would it also be possible that one member here is also suffering some oil starvation??? The reason I say this is because we are having the same experience after reading his post. He/she said that the noise is audible at about the same rpm as mine and is heard at light throttle input or while coasting, which is just what I'm experiencing also.

Thanks for your input sir!

Last edited by onemiglandicho; 02-01-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by onemiglandicho
Mahout, I undestand your previous post regarding what you just reiterated to me. Thank you sir. I'm just stating the kind of noise I hear which is w/o a question a valvetrain noise and not a pinging/knocking noise.

As I stated in my previous post, It might be the oil filter that's causing the noise as I suspect an oil starvation issue with the current brand of oil filter I am using, Purolator Pure One. And as state before, I highly doubt that it's the oil filter that's causing the noise, I'm just trying to rule out the oil filter as the culprit after my next oil change. If the noise persists, I will immediately have Honda look at it.

As you said about the oil filter being plugged, I'm not sure if that's the case as I follow the recommended oil change interval of 15 at around %. The current oil filter I'm using is rated with better oil flow than the older batch of Pure One filter.

I doubt that this is caused by some slight oil starvation at the said rpm range as other members in this thread is saying that they hear tapping noise around 1700 rpm. So if my oil filter is plugged, would it also be possible that one member here is also suffering some oil starvation??? The reason I say this is because we are having the same experience after reading his post. He/she said that the noise is audible at about the same rpm as mine and is heard at light throttle input or while coating, which is just what I'm experienceing also.

Thanks for your input sir!

Let me be more distinct: if your filter is causing any starvation you are flirting with severe engine damage. That shouldn't be possible though because your oil system has a bypass that ignores a plugged filter unless its leaking.
I suggest you change the filter immediately to see if the noise goes away. I bet it doesn't.

The only reason though for the filter pugging up and reducing the filtered oil flow is most likely you left the filter in use too long.Or you drive in a very dusty climate which doesn't describe the Springfuield VA area I know.
I'm not knighted so the 'sir' isn't necessary. cheers.

Last edited by mahout; 01-30-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
Ok let me describe my driving situation. I drive 50/50 city and highway. My current oil change is at around 6700 miles on the clock and at 40%. Oil filter is changed every O/C. I go through some construction but I highly doubt that that would cause a lot of dirt ingestion.

Will try and replace the filter but as you and I suspect, it's not oil filtration related, just trying to rule out the oil filter immediately out of the probable cause.

With regards to addressing you with "sir", was just trying to be respectful.

Last edited by onemiglandicho; 01-30-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
Onemiglandicho,

After two oil changes, both dealership jobs, I'm still hearing the sound at around 1700 RPM. They are, obviously, using the Honda filter.

I brought my Fit to two different dealerships for the issue. The first looked around the dash and glove compartment and shrugged their shoulders. The second dealership allowed a technician to sit in the car while I drove around an empty parking lot. The technician also heard the sound. I have to schedule an appointment to bring the car back.

Will post a follow-up once the care is serviced...

Thanks,
Son

Old 01-31-2010, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
I too have had a similar noise, mine is between 1500 and 1700 rpm but mine only happens when the car is cold. AFter I drive for about 5 minutes, the noise goes away or quiets at least.

I am not sure this is a valve train noise. I am going to have someone replicate the noise and see if I can hear it outside of the car. I am not convinced this is an engine related issue. I am under the impression that the car at that rpm is quite vigorous in its movement and thus causing something else to rattle. It seems like it's in the middle of my dash very close to the windshield.

Is this similar to what you guys are experiencing?

Edit: Just went outisde to see if I could (with help) hear the noise from outside the cabin. Of course it didn't make the noise at all--could not replicate. I'll keep trying.

Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 01-31-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Sdn09fit,

1st of all, how many miles does your car currently have, and when did you start hearing the noise (mileage wise)?

So after 2 oil changes, and you still hear the noise, this issue you're having is w/o a doubt not oil filtration issue. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to have them check this out showing them the receipt of the oil I used as being 5w20.

Does it happen when the car is fully warmed up?

Keep us updated. I will be posting also what they (dealership) tell me on what the problem may be.

Btrthnezr3,

We both experience at about the same rpm range as when the metallic tapping noise is heard (if that is what you are hearing), but mine is audible when the engine is warmed up. It does not produce this sound when the car has not been running past 8 mins. or so.

I would say that the noise I'm hearing is directly in front of me, pretty much the where abouts of the middle of the dash as the engine is right there in front of us. Hehehehehe.

Just for reference, go to this thread at Motor noise, valves?, dealer checking. - Honda Fit Forums

I'm not trying to open a can full of worms here, just trying to give input as this person also had pretty much a similar problem. Although he didn't specify at what rpm range the noise occurs, but he did say that it occurs at light throttle input.

Hopefully, our problem is not as drastic as what that person experienced with his Fit.

Last edited by onemiglandicho; 01-31-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
I understand--

I'm ready to hear what you guys get from the dealers.

I've driven my car now 3 times today and was not able to get my car to make the noise...I've tried.

If it's gone, great...but I am quite certain it is just hibernating.

And so I would like to know what your dealers have to say about it so that I might be able to get mine taken care of as well.

If I can get mine to make the noise again, I'll have someone check on the outside to see if it is heard there too.

Anyways, good luck to you guys at the dealer.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit has just over 9500 miles. The car only had around 300 miles when I started this thread.

Unlike Btrthnezr3's case, I hear the noise after the engine has warmed. The noise is present regardless of where I buy gas. I've cleared the glove compartment and slots in the doors to rule out rattling from any content. I'm also aware of the passenger side wiper arm vibration - not the source of the noise.

One interesting characteristic of the noise is that it is not as noticeable when I'm in park and bringing up the revs to 1700 -- the technician in the car with me had a hard time hearing anything when I did this. But when I give the car a little bit of gas in drive, the sound becomes very evident.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
I don't remember when mine started making the noise but I can definitely say that I started hearing it way back then but it wasn't as audible and as frequent when my car hit 15k-ish miles. My car now has close to 17k miles.

Same here sdn09fit, though I can hear it when parked and in neutral and rev it to 1700-1900 rpm, it is more pronounced when under light load, in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear. It gets harder to hear when up shifting as the road noise starts to over power it. I'm driving an M/T 09 Fit BTW. Bought it with 12 miles on March 29 2009.

Made an appointment for tomorrow morning, Tuesday and will be staying at the dealership while they look over the car.

Quick Reply: Metallic tapping noise from engine