2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using S Position without Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Using S Position without Paddle Shifters

According to the owner's manual when you use S position without the paddle shifters (2009 Fit Sport Automatic): "This position is similar to D, except only gears from first to fourth are selected. The S position keeps the transmission from cycling between fourth and fifth gears in stop-and-go driving."

My car only seems to use 1st-3rd in S position without using the paddle shifters. It shifts normally between 1st-3rd, but then holds 3rd forever. It doesn't appear to shift into fourth. The car is new so I didn't take it all the way to redline to see if it would finally shift into fourth. I just want to know if the car is functioning normally in this mode without using the paddle shifters. Everything else in D position and S position using the paddle shifters is working fine.

What does your car do in this mode?

Old 03-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Devil
According to the owner's manual when you use S position without the paddle shifters (2009 Fit Sport Automatic): "This position is similar to D, except only gears from first to fourth are selected. The S position keeps the transmission from cycling between fourth and fifth gears in stop-and-go driving."

My car only seems to use 1st-3rd in S position without using the paddle shifters. It shifts normally between 1st-3rd, but then holds 3rd forever. It doesn't appear to shift into fourth. The car is new so I didn't take it all the way to redline to see if it would finally shift into fourth. I just want to know if the car is functioning normally in this mode without using the paddle shifters. Everything else in D position and S position using the paddle shifters is working fine.

interesting I will try it out at lunch. Kinda scared though
ha

Kinda makes sense though...thus gears/car is truly in sport mode if it holds till redline.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
just shift it yourself.....

Old 03-27-2009, 12:39 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lucky Devil

i think mine does the same thing.
i guess you have to red line it.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:00 PM
FWIW, I noticed the same thing. I never use S other than for paddle shifting.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
When I'm in S Mode, the gears won't shift by itself. It'll just rev up to the redline.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
When I'm in S Mode, the gears won't shift by itself. It'll just rev up to the redline.
I just played around with mine at lunch.
When you put it in D then shift to S (and don't engage the paddle shifters(doesn't show 1 on your dash)) the car will act like its in regular D mode except I don't think it downshifts if you let off the gas.
Now if you engage your paddle shifters (1 up on your dash) then it will only go to redline and won't upshift for you.

The whole thing seams pointless to me.
car feels much faster in S mode with paddles acknowledged to me.

i searched...and found this topic has already been discussed alot...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-shifters.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-shifters.html

search is my friend ;-)

Last edited by Committobefit08; 03-27-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks for checking this out guys! It appears that what I'm experiencing is normal. This post also confirmed the same thing.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post514173

Old 03-27-2009, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
I just played around with mine at lunch.
When you put it in D then shift to S (and don't engage the paddle shifters(doesn't show 1 on your dash)) the car will act like its in regular D mode except I don't think it downshifts if you let off the gas.
Now if you engage your paddle shifters (1 up on your dash) then it will only go to redline and won't upshift for you.

The whole thing seams pointless to me.
car feels much faster in S mode with paddles acknowledged to me.

i searched...and found this topic has already been discussed alot...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-shifters.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-shifters.html

search is my friend ;-)
Ah I see... Thanks for the info.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
when your in S mode with out shifting, it will change gears 1-2-3 respectfuly. but when you begin to slow down in 3rd gear, it will not downshift for you because it is suppose to help you speed up faster. if you notice, 3rd gear S mode W/O paddle shift will probably never go below 3k RPM.

ive gotten a feel for it n i believe that vtec kicks in at 3500 RPM. this is probably the pull that you are feeling.

not to brag but when i use this method, ive taken a MT and AT Scion XA, AT Nissan Versa, and all trim and models of the Yaris. i believe that all these cars were stock as well as mine.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:38 AM
HID Addict
yea, this is nothing new that ive heard, this is totally normal, yea now you know that heh. but look at it this way. what difference would sport make if it could shift into 4th. you got to keep in mind, the way that S works, is that it shifts near redline. so unless your doing +100 mph, your not gettin into 4th gear. but it prolly doesnt even go to 4th, butttttt thats y u have teh paddles! so you CAN go into 4th gear, dont be nervous about pressing those paddles. it will downshift for you, [when teh gear display is on or not, doesnt matter], b\c in S, it only downshifts about .5K RPM above stalling point, which is like 1.5k or 2k. unless its 1 gear. if you havent used the paddles yet, my friend, you are missing out its a good feeling to hit those paddles quick and clutchless when your accelerating hard. try it, start 1st gear, ease on the gas and when she starts moving, floor it [i say ease on it b\c you dont want that much g forces ] i do it all the time, going to high ways, taking off from a light, passing a guy. love it ^.^ and yes, the v-tec kicks in at about 3500 RPM. i like the S so much, i want to put an intake on it and make the front lip go up 5 inches when floored

Old 03-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Rubba Burna
my friend, you are missing out its a good feeling to hit those paddles quick and clutchless when your accelerating hard. try it, start 1st gear, ease on the gas and when she starts moving, floor it [i say ease on it b\c you dont want that much g forces ] i do it all the time, going to high ways, taking off from a light, passing a guy. love it ^.^ and yes, the v-tec kicks in at about 3500 RPM. i like the S so much, i want to put an intake on it and make the front lip go up 5 inches when floored
Maybe its just me because I am coming from a car with 150 more hp and about 130 ft lb of more tq but when I get on the fit from a stop I kinda get disappointed. I bought the fit to be more economical but I do have a lead foot and love speed. The fit has decent acceleration from 40mph+ but just from a stop I never feel "g forces".
That's the only downfall this little car has to me personally. But the handling, practicality, mpg, and price is well worth not having the 0-60 in 5.8 sec anymore.
Don't get me wrong I still drive it like I stole it but just don't feel like I'm really flying when I do (which is probably better from a legal standpoint)

Old 03-28-2009, 12:04 PM
The auto's have no "g" force from the get go...even holding the brake and gas at the same time to initiate what would normally be considered an automatic car "launch" doesn't do much. I came from a v6 with 198hp, 209torque...that was a lot more power and there was certainly some force. Manual fits are peppier by far though.

I think most people have answered the question about S mode.
Through personal experience: Shifting into S without touching the paddles (no gear indication on tach) will only go through gears 1-3 and hold em fairly high even when slowing down.
Once i do activate M mode by touching shifters, the car will only shift as the car slows down, but it will keep bouncing that redline till something goes wrong. In other words...the car wont shift to a higher gear automatically like many other "sport" cars with manumatic transmissions. I like that about this car, cept it's no good when you do forget to shift or shift too late when accelerating hard (bit of lag between shifts).

I use paddles when im tired to keep me entertained. haha.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 PM
HID Addict
yeah, i kno wat u mean about the g forces. i was riding shot gun in my friend's 370z touring, fit is nothiong on that but im talkin from perspectives that its an eco-box. i mean, how mani eco-box can take off like that? thats what im saying and im impressed by honda for that

Old 03-28-2009, 07:10 PM
I feel like the car holds the gear for a little higher rpm before shifting in S without using the paddles. Plus around town it just feels stronger. It is not so quick to up shift when you are on an "on ramp" merging into traffic. You hit the gore zone at 70 to 75 merge across traffic and just tip the lever into D and you are in the zone.

Mike Holbrook
Meridian, ID