2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Can you get rear Disc brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Can you get rear Disc brakes?

I know that Fit does not come with Rear Disc Brakes, but is there a kit you can purchase to convert ? Also if you do go to rear Disc would that help or hurt Gas Mileage? I know disc are alawys slightly in contact with the rotor and pad, so is that why they did not put on Rear Disc from factory. Were they trying to squeeze a couple more mpgs?

Old 04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by NEXTEL CUP
I know that Fit does not come with Rear Disc Brakes, but is there a kit you can purchase to convert ? Also if you do go to rear Disc would that help or hurt Gas Mileage? I know disc are alawys slightly in contact with the rotor and pad, so is that why they did not put on Rear Disc from factory. Were they trying to squeeze a couple more mpgs?
Priuses also come with drums, but from what I believe the 2010 prius has all discs.

Civics now are also all disc, don't see how discs could affect the mpg that badly.

The only "kit" to convert them to discs now is to buy the jdm setup.
I was looking into this.

Jdm_dohc_sir has the part#s for this setup, so pm him for more details.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
My guess would be they were trying to sqeeze down the cost of making the car, over looking for mpg.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by 98TypeR
My guess would be they were trying to sqeeze down the cost of making the car, over looking for mpg.
Yep, they would have been chasing a price point. The fact that no-one else offers rear disc brakes in this class would have been a factor, as would the fact that in a small FWD the brakes do very little and drum brakes are lighter and cheaper. (you don't need a separate hand brake)

Having said that. I've read a lot of posts here saying how poor the Fit's brakes are. I have discs all round (standard in Oz) and have no issue with braking performance.

Rather than getting JDM parts, you might be able to source them cheaper from Thailand since that's where our cars are built. Just a thought.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by rosswond
Rather than getting JDM parts, you might be able to source them cheaper from Thailand since that's where our cars are built. Just a thought.
Tried that before..... comes out to around the same price

Old 04-02-2009, 03:15 AM
I know I am going to get blasted for this, but the KIA RIO SPORT comes with all Disc as an option. Also the Hyduai Accent. And the new KIA Soul has 4 wheel disc standard.
I have always wanted a fuel econmony car that is safe and both fuel efficent. Right now I have a Corolla 05 LE and I wanted 4 wheel Disc, but the only way to get them was to buy the S version, which got poorer gas milage. Right now I am looking for a car and it is between the Kia Rio and the Honda Fit. The Rio has the 4wheel disc and better gas, but man the Navi screen looks awesome on the Fit.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:26 AM
would this potentially VOID your warranty if something happens lets say in the brake assembly area if you do this conversion, just throwing it out there if anybody knows?

Old 04-02-2009, 04:05 AM
Originally Posted by Paul_A
would this potentially VOID your warranty if something happens lets say in the brake assembly area if you do this conversion, just throwing it out there if anybody knows?
if they can blame or trace the failure to the new parts, it will void the warranty. I guess you would have to prove that it didn't fail because of the new stuff.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:16 AM
I want rear disc brakes! Downshifting all the time just to slow down smoothly is not really cool! :3

Hopefully T1R makes one for the GE8!

(for the GD3 only)

Last edited by OEMfit; 04-02-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
What would be your price range for the setup you willing to pay.
Talking about all new OEM parts.
Will see if I can make it happen.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I think instead of messing with the drums I am going to just upgrade the front rotors to slotted or cross-drilled and add some green stuff pads in the future since the front brakes take 80% of the work anyways.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:57 PM
^ that.
I drive slow as hell already, but if I wanted to get better braking the fronts should get upgraded first. The rears really won't help all too much.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Our SG GE6/8 Jazz comes with 4 disc brakes and larger front rotor (262mm). Comparing to parallel imported JDM Fit (except Fit RS MT) in SG, the braking is definitely more effective, partially due to JDM Fit having smaller front rotor, and rear drum brakes.

With the 'Electronic Brake-force Distribution w/ Brake Assist' feature, the difference in rear disc and rear drum seems more significant.

Last edited by chaicka; 04-02-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by chaicka
Our SG GE6/8 Jazz comes with 4 disc brakes and larger front rotor (262mm). Comparing to parallel imported JDM Fit (except Fit RS MT) in SG, the braking is definitely more effective, partially due to JDM Fit having smaller front rotor, and rear drum brakes.

With the 'Electronic Brake-force Distribution w/ Brake Assist' feature, the difference in rear disc and rear drum seems more significant.

That brings up a good question for the people who want to change out the drums to disc brakes in the U.S. Is that going to screw up the EBD we have?

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/specifications.aspx

Old 04-02-2009, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member

You should prowl the brakes and suspension posts.
We have AandJ rear discs for 15k miles with absolutely no problem with their effectiveness even on track. There are pics of my installation in there too. Price over $700 as I remember and you will NOT increase mpg.
BTW, trying to substitute overseas Fit discs requires considerable machining and fabrication as their parts aren't same specs as ours.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by chaicka

I didn't realise the front discs were larger as well. That would explain why USDM people have complained a lot about brake performance, whereas I've been pretty happy with mine.

It would also explain why we don't get VSA. Not calibrated yet for the bigger brakes?

Does the Euro GE6 have the disc/disc setup as well?