2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
I left them on. Ive never gotten down to the squealer (as you call it) on any of my previous car so I didnt remove them.

As for the "big" rotors for the 6-piston, they are 12.19". The spokes on my rays would clear the width of the caliper...its the "Barrel" that doesnt fit or clear the top. And its not by much either =/

Old 01-18-2017, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Shinjari,

I recommend painting your calipers. It helps to avoid rust, makes cleaning brake dust easier, and just looks nicer.

I went with silver G2 brush on kit. I used 3 heavy coats. I chose silver because it looks OEM and doesn't draw too much attention.

Name:  E3aUCXf.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  1.78 MB
Name:  ZS3B0jV.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  2.15 MB

Old 01-18-2017, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah its definitely on my to-do list. I'd either go OEM silver or black. Just to be discrete. Got a link for that brush on stuff? Did you have to prep the caliper at all? I soaked mine in some citrus cleaner since most the brake cleaner I saw kept saying "do not get on rubber surfaces".

Old 01-18-2017, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Shinjari, did you end up buying the bilsteins?

Old 01-18-2017, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Yeah its definitely on my to-do list. I'd either go OEM silver or black. Just to be discrete. Got a link for that brush on stuff? Did you have to prep the caliper at all? I soaked mine in some citrus cleaner since most the brake cleaner I saw kept saying "do not get on rubber surfaces".
Here is an amazon link, its 2 dollars cheaper than when I bought it LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-L...r+paint+silver

Yeah the kit has everything including brake cleaner. Use the whole can. After that I used a small wire brush to really scrub off excess rust/dust/gunk. spray on a little more cleaner and wipe dry with some paper towels.

I didn't use any other cleaner, the brake cleaner is made specifically for all the components and won't cause issue.
TIP: use another paint brush than the one they give you. Its super cheap and the bristles will get stuck in the paint. Any 2 dollar brush from Walmart will work fine.

3 coats. 20 minutes between coats. Its about a 2 hour job if you take your time. Lots of waiting so its nice to do when you aren't busy. And best part is you don't have to remove the caliper...unless you really want to.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
My Audio Project Upgrade officially start today
with the arrival of My Sony RSX-GS9 head unit about an hour ago

Here is the link to the thread:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...o-upgrade.html

Old 01-18-2017, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connor55
Shinjari, did you end up buying the bilsteins?
Still debating. Waiting to see what my tax return looks like before biting the bullet. Also considering JDM tail lights...someone wants to trade my USDM for JDM...but have to ship them overseas...just not sure if its worth it...or if the JDm's look good on my milano red.

Also...I made the mistake of driving my buddies GTI while he was in town quite a bit this weekend...he plans on selling it sometime this year...so I kinda told him to let me know if he does. So I'm kinda on the fence about any more Fit upgrades if I'm gonna end up in a GTI.

The things that got me were as follows. 1) literally NO interior noise. I could have a normal, even probably library voice conversation in the GTI. In the fit...I feel like sometimes I'm yelling just to talk to my passenger(s). 2) Super smooth 6-speed manual with tons of power. 3) Build quality/materials seems more sturdy/substantial. Nice thud when you close the door....when I lean my arm on the door panel I dont feel like it will buckle. The Fit, I feel the door flex just when I rest my arm on it when I drive. 4) Better upholstery...5) Suspension is stiff and handles the turns I know I can do in the Fit, but definitely more comfy than the Fit. Drove over the same $#itty roads and it was a night and day difference...6) Similar MPG (I know its premium gas though)

Concerns are still reliability, increased insurance costs, repair costs. I know Fit's will run 200k miles...but keep finding a mixed bag about people talking about their GTI...some say its AMAZING...others are "never touching a VW ever again in my life". Will definitely miss having the rear magic seats fold UP which makes it super easy for my (2) dogs to get in the car when we travel. Still on the fence...enjoy my Fit but the GTI definitely is a more refined vehicle. I know its sorta apples and oranges considering MSRP comparison...but when the GF even makes a comment on how nice it is in comparison...its hard to not listen.

Originally Posted by Mr.Hollow
Here is an amazon link, its 2 dollars cheaper than when I bought it LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-L...r+paint+silver

Yeah the kit has everything including brake cleaner. Use the whole can. After that I used a small wire brush to really scrub off excess rust/dust/gunk. spray on a little more cleaner and wipe dry with some paper towels.

I didn't use any other cleaner, the brake cleaner is made specifically for all the components and won't cause issue.
TIP: use another paint brush than the one they give you. Its super cheap and the bristles will get stuck in the paint. Any 2 dollar brush from Walmart will work fine.

3 coats. 20 minutes between coats. Its about a 2 hour job if you take your time. Lots of waiting so its nice to do when you aren't busy. And best part is you don't have to remove the caliper...unless you really want to.
I'll have to check it out. I definitely like the clean "new" silver look. But dont see how paint will prevent rust as its not the calipers I'm worried about...its the rotor/hub that rusts in my experience.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Still debating. Waiting to see what my tax return looks like before biting the bullet. Also considering JDM tail lights...someone wants to trade my USDM for JDM...but have to ship them overseas...just not sure if its worth it...or if the JDm's look good on my milano red.

Also...I made the mistake of driving my buddies GTI while he was in town quite a bit this weekend...he plans on selling it sometime this year...so I kinda told him to let me know if he does. So I'm kinda on the fence about any more Fit upgrades if I'm gonna end up in a GTI.

The things that got me were as follows. 1) literally NO interior noise. I could have a normal, even probably library voice conversation in the GTI. In the fit...I feel like sometimes I'm yelling just to talk to my passenger(s). 2) Super smooth 6-speed manual with tons of power. 3) Build quality/materials seems more sturdy/substantial. Nice thud when you close the door....when I lean my arm on the door panel I dont feel like it will buckle. The Fit, I feel the door flex just when I rest my arm on it when I drive. 4) Better upholstery...5) Suspension is stiff and handles the turns I know I can do in the Fit, but definitely more comfy than the Fit. Drove over the same $#itty roads and it was a night and day difference...6) Similar MPG (I know its premium gas though)

Concerns are still reliability, increased insurance costs, repair costs. I know Fit's will run 200k miles...but keep finding a mixed bag about people talking about their GTI...some say its AMAZING...others are "never touching a VW ever again in my life". Will definitely miss having the rear magic seats fold UP which makes it super easy for my (2) dogs to get in the car when we travel. Still on the fence...enjoy my Fit but the GTI definitely is a more refined vehicle. I know its sorta apples and oranges considering MSRP comparison...but when the GF even makes a comment on how nice it is in comparison...its hard to not listen.
Hi Shinjari,

First, I think if you buy the JDM LED version taillight (after the facelift)
like mine, it will look perfect on your red color car.

Second,
someday I can take you for a drive in my car,
because my car is very quiet after I did this modification:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...cld-tiles.html
and don't forget a good tire like Michelin Pilot Super Sport have very little noise compare to stock and Michelin just came out with Pilot PS4s launch this March that will be even quieter...
The door also close with a thud like BMW hahaha (because I install sound deadening in the door too).
It also handle very well and drive very comfortably with 18in wheel and again the key is the tire...
plus it is very reliable as a Honda compare to a VW...
of course even with Sprintex, my car is not as fast as a VW GTI...
but I think I will always like a Honda better unless the VW is an Audi RS3 hahaha
so if you do a bit more modification like suspension and sound deadening
your Fit will have almost all the advantage the GTi had without the reliability problem...

I use to work at an Infiniti of Valencia right beside VW Valencia which use to belong to the same group so I know the VW service dept. is always busy

Yes, usually Girl Friend will like VW better but that is before you take them to test drive Audi or BMW and they will like Audi or BMW even better...
like my wife now

Old 01-18-2017, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
Hi Shinjari,

First, I think if you buy the JDM LED version taillight (after the facelift)
like mine, it will look perfect on your red color car.

Second,
someday I can take you for a drive in my car,
because my car is very quiet after I did this modification:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...cld-tiles.html
and don't forget a good tire like Michelin Pilot Super Sport have very little noise compare to stock and Michelin just came out with Pilot PS4s launch this March that will be even quieter...
The door also close with a thud like BMW hahaha (because I install sound deadening in the door too).
It also handle very well and drive very comfortably with 18in wheel and again the key is the tire...
plus it is very reliable as a Honda compare to a VW...
of course even with Sprintex, my car is not as fast as a VW GTI...
but I think I will always like a Honda better unless the VW is an Audi RS3 hahaha
so if you do a bit more modification like suspension and sound deadening
your Fit will have almost all the advantage the GTi had without the reliability problem...

I use to work at an Infiniti of Valencia right beside VW Valencia which use to belong to the same group so I know the VW service dept. is always busy

Yes, usually Girl Friend will like VW better but that is before you take them to test drive Audi or BMW and they will like Audi or BMW even better...
like my wife now
That sound deadening looks like a good idea...just some serious $$$ and time. I'm not sure I'd go to the extent that you did with the closed cell foam and baking sheets but maybe worthwhile to do the dynamat type at least. It turns into a snowball effect...."Well I'm opening the door panels to put sound deadening...since its open I may as well change the door upholstery material...and I may as well upgrade the speakers while I'm in there...And I may as well buy that underseat subwoofer...." etc etc.

As for suspension I am going to remove the progress sway bar sometime soon just to see the comfort difference. I do like the improved cornering but want to find a balance of comfort/handling and the rear is just TOO stiff. Maybe the bilsteins without the rear sway is the way to go.

As for the JDM taillights, I'm still awaiting his pics/reply. I'm assuming they look like these.

Or would be cool if they were like these

Found this pic of a MR with JDm tails
Or maybe just smoke the USDM to look like this

Last edited by shinjari; 01-18-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
You don't like this one, this is the newer LED version like mine:
The brake light is LED so when it light up at night looks very nice...
and you can upgrade the other light to be LED too like what I did to mine

below is mine, same tail light:

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 01-18-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
Oh I do like that one. I just think the one the member is offering for trade is the one I posted. Still awaiting his response.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Oh I do like that one. I just think the one the member is offering for trade is the one I posted. Still awaiting his response.

Hi Shinjari,

no need to wait for that guy to response,
here I found solution for you :
Might be even cheaper than doing trade...

Just click at this link, find the one you like, buy using Buyee,
and use Google Chrome so you can translate:

If you want to see the latest and most popular listing click here:
????! - ????? GE ????????????

if you want to see based on the lowest cheapest price, click here:

If you find this link helpful,
if we met someday
Please buy me some Big Mac Meal

Old 01-18-2017, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
Hi Shinjari,

no need to wait for that guy to response,
here I found solution for you :
Might be even cheaper than doing trade...

Just click at this link, find the one you like, buy using Buyee,
and use Google Chrome so you can translate:

If you want to see the latest and most popular listing click here:

if you want to see based on the lowest cheapest price, click here:

If you find this link helpful,
if we met someday
Please buy me some Big Mac Meal
Oh...

That's sound not nice to me..

But anyway thank you for the link.

Last edited by Kimber_CB; 01-18-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
Hey guys, just fyi the annual truefitcrew meet is happening in fresno march 25. Hope you guys(especially cali guys) can make it!

Old 01-18-2017, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kimber_CB
Oh...

That's sound not nice to me..

But anyway thank you for the link.

oh no, I don't know the guy that suppose to trade with Shinjari is also member of Fitfreak
and read this thread too...

I apologize... but at the same time hope the link help

Old 01-19-2017, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
Hey guys, just fyi the annual truefitcrew meet is happening in fresno march 25. Hope you guys(especially cali guys) can make it!
I have been twice.

The people are great! Although the drive is not so great. I am still deciding if I want to go.

I feel like a lot of buds are getting out of the fit game recently, its put me in a wonky mood.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Lol, its nothing for you. I have 3 days of driving to get there. Good thing im rolling it into a road trip already lol

Old 01-19-2017, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
oh no, I don't know the guy that suppose to trade with Shinjari is also member of Fitfreak

no prob bros

a stock USDM tail light is difficult to find here in Thailand. even in ebay.

most of fit here go on euro tail light

nobody want usdm tail light.

maybe im the only one here to dress up by usdm

Old 01-19-2017, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Hey guys, just fyi the annual truefitcrew meet is happening in fresno march 25. Hope you guys(especially cali guys) can make
it!
I got it marked on the calendar.

Link helps...need to investigate more about total costs thru tenso/buyee/Kimber

Originally Posted by Kimber_CB
no prob bros

a stock USDM tail light is difficult to find here in Thailand. even in ebay.

most of fit here go on euro tail light

nobody want usdm tail light.

maybe im the only one here to dress up by usdm
No worries bud. I feel you have more exterior options than we do.

On another note....does anyone know if sand storm damage is something I can claim on my insurance like with my comprehensive? My front end has been blasted several times on trips to Phoenix and out to Hemet and the bumper/hood/fenders/headlights/windshield are noticeably damaged.

Last edited by shinjari; 01-19-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
Did this yesterday, but I bought some Konig Dial-Ins. 15x7 +35. ~10.5 pounds each.

These are going to be my track wheels due to the smaller size and lighter weight. My only dilemma is finding clone-able TPMS for the Konigs that I can use so I can disable traction control during races.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?