2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone know what the large black panel around the license plate is called?

Old 02-21-2017, 02:08 AM
Banned
I found genuine RS tails on yahoo auctions for $50 shipped, once this tax return comes in...

Old 02-21-2017, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Wow $50? $50 shipped from japan seems like the seller would be taking a huge loss. Thats a nice find. the LED or nonLED ones?

Also, tried a google search of those images Mr. Hollow and only pages from indonesia would pop up. Even with translate no one mentioned what those parts were specifically.

Only concern I have about those, is the "window" is made for the wider international plates so the CA/US plates will leave some open space.

Last edited by shinjari; 02-21-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by shinjari
Wow $50? $50 shipped from japan seems like the seller would be taking a huge loss. Thats a nice find. the LED or nonLED ones?
It looks like the tail light wiring harnesses are still attached, but clipped. So my assumption is that the tails were stripped off a junk car maybe? They're in great condition... The tails themselves are 2,000 yen ($18.32) which is crazy. But hey, if they're legit I'll take em... They're the non-led, but I can get genuine Kouki tails for $65 shipped so that's another option...

Last edited by counterFIT; 02-21-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
got some works ///

Old 02-21-2017, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by steezo_
got some works ///

Nice! Specs? If I recall, familywagon had a similar set of those =)

Old 02-21-2017, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member

Also, tried a google search of those images Mr. Hollow and only pages from indonesia would pop up. Even with translate no one mentioned what those parts were specifically.

Only concern I have about those, is the "window" is made for the wider international plates so the CA/US plates will leave some open space.
Yeah it's really odd, it only shows up on Fits from Indonesia. It also seems to be places onto of the plate which covers the bolts.

If I were ever able to find one, I would make a mold of the piece and retrofit it to fit a US license plate....but it seems like a nonexistent part. :/

Old 02-21-2017, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Mr.Hollow
Yeah it's really odd, it only shows up on Fits from Indonesia. It also seems to be places onto of the plate which covers the bolts.

If I were ever able to find one, I would make a mold of the piece and retrofit it to fit a US license plate....but it seems like a nonexistent part. :/
i have one of those from Singapore

Old 02-21-2017, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
i have one of those from Singapore
Dont tease! Whats the part called and who makes it?

Last edited by shinjari; 02-21-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator
Name:  20160615_200624_zpsfbj2odga.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  232.9 KB

We hunted the guy down who makes it on youtube and he made me one. Upon getting it, it really doesn't appear so hard to make. Its just a piece of clear acrylic painted black in the inside. Make a template of the license plate area and cut the acrylic to shape. Tape off where the license plate would be and paint.

I just 3m taped it to the hatch initially and when I got my vanity plates, I upgraded to velcro for what I hope is easier removal and replacement. I also used weather stripping around the license plate so water and dust doesn't get in and dirty up the plate as much.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator
Whats the part called and who makes it?
No specific name for it. PM me for his email address. I don't know if she still makes em.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by counterFIT
I found genuine RS tails on yahoo auctions for $50 shipped, once this tax return comes in...
Padawan cruising the japanese sites.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator
These are used parts from Japan. They ARE that cheap over there. What makes it seem more expensive is the people who are willing to bring it stateside and off course charge double or more for profit. Ordering stuff directly from Japan cuts out the middle man, hence saving you some money.

Originally Posted by counterFIT
It looks like the tail light wiring harnesses are still attached, but clipped. So my assumption is that the tails were stripped off a junk car maybe? They're in great condition... The tails themselves are 2,000 yen ($18.32) which is crazy. But hey, if they're legit I'll take em... They're the non-led, but I can get genuine Kouki tails for $65 shipped so that's another option...

Don't worry about the wiring harness. The light bulb sockets unclip and can plug right into your USDM wiring harness if it's a different size than what you have now.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Lol for a second there I thought you were talking about the Filipino decal on your car since thats kinda the focus of that pic. Also, hello fellow filipino fitfreak .

So its just a flat piece of plastic huh that you attach to the hatch area? No curvature or anything? I know a good acrylic/plastics place here in SD, maybe they could make one. Thanks for the pics, sure Mr. Hollow appreciates it =)

Old 02-21-2017, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
These are used parts from Japan. They ARE that cheap over there. What makes it seem more expensive is the people who are willing to bring it stateside and off course charge double or more for profit. Ordering stuff directly from Japan cuts out the middle man, hence saving you some money.

Don't worry about the wiring harness. The light bulb sockets unclip and can plug right into your USDM wiring harness if it's a different size than what you have now.
SO none of the JDM lights require the sockets? Even the LED ones?

Yeah JDM parts seem inexpensive, its the shipping that tends to make it seem ridiculous. Like I'll find a set for $50 but shipping will be just as much if not double/triple.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator
Lol for a second there I thought you were talking about the Filipino decal on your car since thats kinda the focus of that pic. Also, hello fellow filipino fitfreak .

So its just a flat piece of plastic huh that you attach to the hatch area? No curvature or anything? I know a good acrylic/plastics place here in SD, maybe they could make one. Thanks for the pics, sure Mr. Hollow appreciates it =)
No problem, 'tol!

I would get a flexible acrylic since you will need it to bend a little. I would make em myself but I don't have tools to cut acrylic or the know how. I'm thinking just a jigsaw and some water lol.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator
SO none of the JDM lights require the sockets? Even the LED ones?

Yeah JDM parts seem inexpensive, its the shipping that tends to make it seem ridiculous. Like I'll find a set for $50 but shipping will be just as much if not double/triple.
With my Axis tails, the brake lights and turn signals only had a wire harness which directly plug into the USDM harness. The reverse light still used a bulb and lucky enough the USDM socket fit no problem. Its been a while but i think thats how it is.

It really depends on what you are buying. If its a smallish item shipping is not that expensive. Once it gets bigger and heavier price goes up.

Case in point. Bean Garage sells Cusco Front tower brace for $200 shipped. I bought directly from Rakuten Japan and had it shipped through a shipping forwarder (Tenso) and the price + shipping was like $120~.

I mean these American tuner sites make almost 100% profit. Some don't even stock them and get it from Japan. They then wait for their container fill up first before they get your stuff to save more money and you wait like 2+ months before the boat gets to the US. Then it gets stuck in customs blah blah.

Tenso ships it via EMS or whatever is appropriate and in less than two weeks you have it at your door.

Not to mention if you wait for the YEN fluctuation. When value goes down your dollar gets more.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
How long does EMS usually take? Im waiting on a smallish item to leave japan "any day now".

Old 02-22-2017, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
No problem, 'tol!

I would get a flexible acrylic since you will need it to bend a little. I would make em myself but I don't have tools to cut acrylic or the know how. I'm thinking just a jigsaw and some water lol.
PM'd for email.

Shinjari- I could maybe create a vector cut line if you know someone who can machine cut the acrylic sheet.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connor55
How long does EMS usually take? Im waiting on a smallish item to leave japan "any day now".
According to Buyee's estimates, 5-8 business days.

Originally Posted by Mr.Hollow
PM'd for email.

Shinjari- I could maybe create a vector cut line if you know someone who can machine cut the acrylic sheet.
Let me ask around. Wonder if the bend can be created using a little heat. Should be doable if the acrylic is not incredibly thick. I've known people to make their motorcycle windshields out of acrylic with handtools/dremel and a heat gun to get the bend they wanted.

Some detailed pics/dimensions would be helpful =)

Last edited by shinjari; 02-22-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?