2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Shinjari hate to say it but that is the start of clear coat failure

The spoiler, the roof, and the hood are all prone to CCF due to facing the sun the majority of the time. And being that we live in SoCal there is a lot of UV rays eating up the clear coat like candy. Milano red is notorious for fading and having CCF.

Your best bet going forward is to really start waxing the car a lot more, especially the keys areas I mentioned. You may prolong the cancer spreading by using a high end carnauba wax, but I say within 2 years you will have to repaint the spoiler.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
I put a nice 3" scrape on my front lip today at lunch :,(

It was one of the stupid diagonal parking spots and I got to close to the curb and scraped it.

I am mad at myself, but I had planned to get the whole front bumper painted in April anyway for Wekfest (fingers still crossed).

Old 03-07-2017, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connor55
Just touch it up. It protects the actual paint and itll still look better than peeling.

Hah you can never trust the forecast

Originally Posted by Mr.Hollow
Shinjari hate to say it but that is the start of clear coat failure

The spoiler, the roof, and the hood are all prone to CCF due to facing the sun the majority of the time. And being that we live in SoCal there is a lot of UV rays eating up the clear coat like candy. Milano red is notorious for fading and having CCF.

Your best bet going forward is to really start waxing the car a lot more, especially the keys areas I mentioned. You may prolong the cancer spreading by using a high end carnauba wax, but I say within 2 years you will have to repaint the spoiler.
Thats lame sauce on the CCF. Car is not even 5. Fortunately its just on the covers and that dime sized spot in the middle.

Definitely going to wax the car even more frequently now...and it seems I may have to move up my plans to wrap or plastidip my whole car to prevent any additional damage.

OR if I can't move my wwrap/dip plans sooner, maybe I can just wet sand those cover plates until the clearcoat is removed and respraying them myself. They are so small shouldnt be too bad.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
I hope it works out for you^

Yesterday i took out my rear suspension, finished running the wiring for management, and today will take out front suspension and hopefully have time to install front and rear bags tomorrow im going to set up the air and tank/manifold and give it a test run.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Began my cargo cover DIY project today. Might start a thread, but don't know if it's worth a new thread. I'm not familiar enough yet with this forum and all its boards to know what is de rigeur and what is not preferred to occur....

Old 03-09-2017, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
got my wilwood brake kit put on (2 piece drilled/slotted rotors, 4 piston calipers). I had to get some help with it, the provided brake hoses needed an extra fitting.

I gotta say the braking is fantastic. I have yet to need to explore further than the top quarter inch of brake pedal coverage. They are not jerky or squeaky. They make an absolutely heavenly woosh sound decelerating from highway speeds.

Friday I am about to embark on a 4000 mile solo cross country trip. Very excited.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
Air suspension is on, after a bunch of little issues and some seized bolts on the endlinks!! This time i put antiseize on everything lol.

Gunna loosly fit some lines tomorrow and add the tanks to see if everything actually works in a stationary position.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bensenvill
got my wilwood brake kit put on (2 piece drilled/slotted rotors, 4 piston calipers). I had to get some help with it, the provided brake hoses needed an extra fitting.

I gotta say the braking is fantastic. I have yet to need to explore further than the top quarter inch of brake pedal coverage. They are not jerky or squeaky. They make an absolutely heavenly woosh sound decelerating from highway speeds.

Friday I am about to embark on a 4000 mile solo cross country trip. Very excited.
Have a fun drive! Any pics of the kit installed?

Originally Posted by connor55
Air suspension is on, after a bunch of little issues and some seized bolts on the endlinks!! This time i put antiseize on everything lol.

Gunna loosly fit some lines tomorrow and add the tanks to see if everything actually works in a stationary position.
Woot! Best of luck man. Seems like its coming along nicely. Other parts out for paint?

Originally Posted by aigi
Began my cargo cover DIY project today. Might start a thread, but don't know if it's worth a new thread. I'm not familiar enough yet with this forum and all its boards to know what is de rigeur and what is not preferred to occur....
Saw your thread, nice start and contribution to the forum

Old 03-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Thank you! I hope to finish soon - but I might be retooling my design to include possibility of hinging.

Originally Posted by shinjari
Saw your thread, nice start and contribution to the forum
...cross country solo road trip. woowwwww. dreams of that!

Old 03-09-2017, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
Shinjari - Check out a paint sealant, not wax. They're more expensive but last longer & you can throw wax on top for more protection.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Shinjari - Check out a paint sealant, not wax. They're more expensive but last longer & you can throw wax on top for more protection.
So basically this is all preventative stuff nothing that will "fix" it? Only thing that will fix the clear coat will be stripping and applying a new clear coat right?

Old 03-09-2017, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
So basically this is all preventative stuff nothing that will "fix" it? Only thing that will fix the clear coat will be stripping and applying a new clear coat right?
As far as I know, yes.

But I'm far from an expert. My Fit's paint looks like garbage.

So does the AP1's.

I'm a few years removed from making my Miata look nice.

(lol those garbage 17's)

Old 03-09-2017, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Added a pair of grounds to the battery. The original battery to chassis ground keeps coming loose, and this installer said its thin sheet metal and really should be in a better spot. One ground wire to where the airbox used to be mounted and the other to the transmission mount ground.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Loose fitting of management set up! Stock floor should close flush over this cause nothing goes higher than the plastic trim around the floor.

Spend most of the day running around town looking for something to use as a spacer on my rear bags, found these truck motor mounts which will add 2 extra inches to the bag length!!

Old 03-10-2017, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Nice progress Connor...whats the point of making the bags longer/taller? Wont that affect how low you can go?

Old 03-10-2017, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Yes it will, but i want to be able to go higher too. My max height right now will only allow the wheel to have less than 1 finger gap. I want to have my ride height just below where the swifts were, and i shouldnt have the bag near full psi for that, otherwise the ride gets way too harsh. Less psi equals shorter bag, equals smoother ride. The extension allows the bag to keep the car at my preferred ride height with less psi in the bag. It can still go low enough for me

Old 03-10-2017, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Ah, well that makes sense...weird that the bags dont even get to OEM height.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah it is. I contacted them for a larger set of bags

Old 03-10-2017, 03:36 PM
what do you think about this

fit test in photoshop what do you think

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your GE fit today?-tes-15-pouce.jpg  
Old 03-11-2017, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
Bags are up and running, still have to clean up the trunk and add the sound deadening material.

Riding smoother than the air rex. Firmer than the swifts, but it handles smaller bumps like manhole covers and road cracks really well. Im at 60-40 psi. Gunna play around with psi and collars before aligning it tomorrow this is a keeper unlike last time.

My alignment is totally out to lunch though haha

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?