2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 02:25 AM
Banned
It's so nice to "go away" for a week and come back to all of this progress! Good work everyone. I've got a lot to share later, I'm typing this on my phone at 2:30AM so I'm not including much detail. Let's just say the fit looks 70% different, drives 40% faster, and sounds 70% better keep an eye out for my later post.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sylvainquebec
fit test in photoshop what do you think
Looks fun. painting those parts? Vinyl? Plastidip?

Originally Posted by counterFIT
It's so nice to "go away" for a week and come back to all of this progress! Good work everyone. I've got a lot to share later, I'm typing this on my phone at 2:30AM so I'm not including much detail. Let's just say the fit looks 70% different, drives 40% faster, and sounds 70% better keep an eye out for my later post.
Tease much? Lol

Old 03-11-2017, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
"New" Headlights

So finally decided to take the time to restore/polish my headlights.

I was impatient with amazon and decided to goto the store....ewww...lol. I opted for the Sylvania restoration kit as it was the highest rated on amazon and it has a lifetime warranty if you register it. Basically if it clouds again they will refund you the money.

Sure it was $2 more than amazon...but I had time today to do it and amazon wouldnt arrive until wednesday. Guess its considered hazmat so they have to ship ground/ups.

Anyhow...my headlights were terrible due to where my Fit spent its initial years of existence out in Hemet....which to those in SoCal would know...its super hot...deserty....and sandy out there. Sad considering its only a 2013.

Here are the headlights before the restoration.

After an hour and change of cleaning...wet sanding (400/1000/2000 grit)...polishing compound....cleaning....then the UV clear coat. Here is the result. Not too shabby for $20 and some elbow grease! Box ttotally thinks that you have the incredible hulks forearms or something because it says both can be done in LESS than 30 minutes. Considering each grit says ~5 minutes...thats ~15 per headlight...~30 for both...and is IF your arms aren't tired after sanding these huge headlights the GE has. Maybe if this was a GK it'd take ~30.

Speaking of clear coat...looked at my spoiler again...and those spots where it looked like clear cloat beginning to fail....ARENT there anymore...huh? What? Gonna keep an eye on it still and begin waxing every other week.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Wow amazing job! What compound did you use?

Got my alignment done today! Heating up the garage now (-15 out now) before i take my bumper off for the remainder of the work!

Old 03-11-2017, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
Shinjari those look amazing!

Can you link what kit you ordered (amazon preferred). Did you use a orbital buffer or all by hand?

Old 03-12-2017, 12:37 AM
Banned
Took somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 pictures today... For good reason For the first time in the car's life it was literally getting stared at. Also the first time I've had pretty girls ask me if I'd take pictures of their car also

Waiting on the laptop to charge so I can transfer pics from the SD (who uses SD anymore fr) but I will post an imgur album ASAP. Sooo satisfied with the car, and my JDM tails haven't even gotten here...

There should be an exhaust video in there if I can do it right... A dynomax resonator makes so much difference! Also, raced a stock BRZ and won

Old 03-12-2017, 01:01 AM
Banned
Here you go... Keep in mind this is all plasti dip and this was technically a trial run. I'm gonna have to touch it up, and the wheels got pretty messed up on the 3.5hr drive to Columbia... It's as easy as spraying on another coat or two though. I am going to upload the video to youtube soon, I'll edit it into this post.

The reason I said the car was 40% faster was because I took the back seats out... Trust me if you don't use your back seats, take them out. They weigh ~100lbs, it's night and day. I've raced TC's, 328i's, BRZs, Camaros, etc and was able to keep up with all of them. All I need is some methanol and a racing seat and my baby will be a beast (also need conrods and camshaft and turbo and etc)

Pics

Last edited by counterFIT; 03-12-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:56 AM
I took the back seats out before. There was a very very slight difference but certainly not enough to keep up with any of those cars you're talking about. It wasn't even good enough for me to keep them out. My motor is stock, what is done to yours?

Last edited by FamilyWagon; 03-12-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connor55
Wow amazing job! What compound did you use?

Got my alignment done today! Heating up the garage now (-15 out now) before i take my bumper off for the remainder of the work!
Originally Posted by Mr.Hollow
Shinjari those look amazing!

Can you link what kit you ordered (amazon preferred). Did you use a orbital buffer or all by hand?
Thanks guys! Yeah I was extremely happy with the results. It is this kit on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-HRK-BX-SYLVANIA-Headlight-Restoration/dp/B00429NKWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489328940&sr=8-1&keywords=sylvania+headlight+restoration+kit https://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-HRK-BX-SYLVANIA-Headlight-Restoration/dp/B00429NKWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489328940&sr=8-1&keywords=sylvania+headlight+restoration+kit

Also it is ALL by hand...takes a little longer and I did see other kits that used a power drill or similar power tool...but I was drawn by the shear number of positive reviews about the sylvania kit and their lifetime warranty if you register the kit/car. Plus...you figure they would know about headlights since they are a bulb manufacturer.

If you choose to get this kit, basically you do both headlights at the same time. Wash one....then the other....wet sand with 400....then the other one...etc etc.

As for compound I couldnt tell you...it was whatever came with the kit. Needless to say my headlights are insanely clear now. Was so satisfying when I applied the clear coat and saw the end result.

Here you go... Keep in mind this is all plasti dip and this was technically a trial run. I'm gonna have to touch it up, and the wheels got pretty messed up on the 3.5hr drive to Columbia... It's as easy as spraying on another coat or two though. I am going to upload the video to youtube soon, I'll edit it into this post.

The reason I said the car was 40% faster was because I took the back seats out... Trust me if you don't use your back seats, take them out. They weigh ~100lbs, it's night and day. I've raced TC's, 328i's, BRZs, Camaros, etc and was able to keep up with all of them. All I need is some methanol and a racing seat and my baby will be a beast (also need conrods and camshaft and turbo and etc)

Pics
Video
Looking good bud. Looks like you dipped the roof, hood, front bumper center grill portion, wheels and added eyelids to the headlights? Any close up shots of the roof? I keep hearing it's a pain to get even coverage with spray cans since its a large surface area.

When you said 40% all I could think of was a Sprintex supercharger...lol

Old 03-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by FamilyWagon
I took the back seats out before. There was a very very slight difference but certainly not enough to keep up with any of those cars you're talking about. It wasn't even good enough for me to keep them out. My motor is stock, what is done to yours?
Honestly I'm clueless then. My fit is seriously much faster than it was before. Engine is stock (unless some gnome increased compression when I was away). I've got a CAI and Resonator and Muffler. That's it. I've been running 93 lately, I don't know if it's making a difference (maybe that's the key). I also have been driving the car hard over the past few days. Maybe the ECU is adapting? Again maybe it's bs, but the car is hitting 120 on the highway no problem. EDIT: It could also be the Hellcat-style intake that I added. I feel like that may ever-so-slightly increase compression. Also I should probably assume that the cars I raced weren't trying, but what else can I say?

Originally Posted by shinjari
Looking good bud. Looks like you dipped the roof, hood, front bumper center grill portion, wheels and added eyelids to the headlights? Any close up shots of the roof? I keep hearing it's a pain to get even coverage with spray cans since its a large surface area.

When you said 40% all I could think of was a Sprintex supercharger...lol
Yeah I shouldn't have said 40% faster, but it genuinely feels like that.

Yeah I dipped all of those, I already had the eyelids. I'm slightly disappointed with how the roof came out, yes it is quite the challenge to get good coverage with a can. I'm gonna keep the roof dip for awhile (why not?) and if I really get annoyed with it I'll peel it off and wrap it. All of the black surfaces (wheels included) have a silver metalizer on them, it makes them look almost like a Chromium black (XXR). Like I said, unfortunately the wheels don't look like the pics anymore, they need to be slightly re-done. But plasti-dip is so easy, who cares?

I've got a new shift knob and leather steering wheel cover coming in this week, the tail lights should be this week or the next. After that, I'm done with the Fit for a good while. It's time for me to focus on saving money

Last edited by counterFIT; 03-12-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Wow!

I've never seen anyone actually get results like that! Definitely going to share this with a friend of mine whose Toyota Solara's lights are crazy clouded.

Fantastic.

and lols on the ewww store.

Originally Posted by shinjari
So finally decided to take the time to restore/polish my headlights.

I was impatient with amazon and decided to goto the store....ewww...lol. I opted for the Sylvania restoration kit as it was the highest rated on amazon and it has a lifetime warranty if you register it. Basically if it clouds again they will refund you the money.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:24 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by sylvainquebec
fit test in photoshop what do you think
Not a bad job on the photoshop! Not my style, but if it's your style go for it. I've learned that no matter what, your car is your car. Do whatever you want to it, no matter what other people think. I definitely think you've got the right idea in terms of an "accent" more than a two-tone color. Try plasti dip? Then you can see what it'd really look like before you paint.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:32 PM
finally made an account , I keep seein a dude doggin the FIT . First he said he would sell it and then he decided to keep it . It must be an automatic, Make your mind up bud.

I got my fit 2 years ago , 2010 5MT SSM with 26k miles. After alot of research I came to the conclusion that it was the best car overall for the price/performance/utility. When ever I get on the hwy it performs fantastic. I used to own a mustang before the fit. When I go anywhere it gets me in and out of tight spaces and if mustangs/camaros/trucks etc try to keep up thats fine I laugh all the way to the bank because they have to waste gas in order to keep up. So I can maintain my speed all the way to my destination and get 31mpg . I have made some small modification , some thanks to the wonderful people in this forum.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:34 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by FKNFIT
When ever I get on the hwy it performs fantastic. I used to own a mustang before the fit. When I go anywhere it gets me in and out of tight spaces and if mustangs/camaros/trucks etc try to keep up thats fine I laugh all the way to the bank because they have to waste gas in order to keep up. So I can maintain my speed all the way to my destination and get 31mpg .
This ^^^

Even when I literally floor it/redline everywhere I still get 21mpg (bad MPG for the Fit, I know).

Old 03-12-2017, 02:40 PM
This ^^^

Even when I literally floor it/redline everywhere I still get 21mpg (bad MPG for the Fit, I know).
Mine is a base I specifically wanted a base , I'm not into spoilers etc , I notice that it also depends where I get my fuel. My brother bought the same thing but a dark grey and also 5mt. My neighbor then went and bought a sport auto and the other day i sat in it and noticed his mgp was like 25mpg.

I like the FIT more and more each day that I own it. I just ordered a front RS emblem a bit pricey but I have already spent alot of time wanting and debating so I finally pulled the trigger. After it gets here and get my next paycheck I will order the rear.

I have been lurking here for a while, great community.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:53 PM
That comment about the RS reminded me... I want to remove the dealer emblem.

What are your recommendations, FFers?

Old 03-12-2017, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Can use a heat gun if it is raised hard plastic letters. Be careful to no burn the paint.

I've used WD40 (oil / solvent) for others that would absorb and soften the glue but not damage the paint.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by aigi

heat gun and goo gone

Old 03-12-2017, 08:25 PM
Thanks!

typing to have enough characters. haha

Old 03-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by aigi

Literally just took mine off 2 days ago. Heat gun gets the emblem off, goo gone gets the glue off. Do not be a dumbass like me and try to use a razor blade to finely scrape it off... I gotta touch up that area now.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?