2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New headrest?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
New headrest?

Is there anyway we can get a headrest we can actually use for the 09 fit?

I've had to lower it all the way. Slightly concerned that I won't be able to use the passive restraint capability the car has.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
maybe you're too short?

or try pulling the seat up closer to the wheel and keep it in a forward position

Old 04-25-2009, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 90crxfreak
maybe you're too short?

or try pulling the seat up closer to the wheel and keep it in a forward position
sorry I didn't describe my problem adequately.

I'm tall. If pull it all the way up to spot that the manual says I should, my neck hurts badddd. Higher you pull it, the more forward it goes. I need the head rest to bend backwards, not forward.

Last edited by SanDan; 04-25-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Try tiliting the seat back a bit and let yourself curve to the seat rather than sitting up straight. I think that what i read about some other tall person who liked to sit up straight with the same problem.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by SanDan
sorry I didn't describe my problem adequately.

I'm tall. If pull it all the way up to spot that the manual says I should, my neck hurts badddd. Higher you pull it, the more forward it goes. I need the head rest to bend backwards, not forward.
Same problem here. And the same temporary solution. (keeping the headrest all the way down and seat reclined more than I normally would) I'm 6'.
I've thought about straightening out the curve in the metal posts a bit.
I'm just concerned that bending the metal would weaken the integrity of the post.

Wouldn't want to end up with a spike through the back of my head if it snapped off in an accident.

I haven't researched it, but it's an issue I eventually will need to solve.

Any of you Fitfreakers know if bending the metal posts on the headrests would weaken the metal??

Old 04-25-2009, 09:59 PM
08 Headrests for the win, I'm 6'2" and I sit two notches from the furthest back with the sits pretty laid back and the headrest to the top. Only comfortable position I've found after a year of ownership. Mainly the lack of lumbar....

Not impressed with the new seats as much as I'm not impressed with the old seats. Everyone else says they are really comfortable but I'm considering a new drivers seat...

Old 04-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Headrests

I put one of the headrests from the back seat onto the drivers seat. Had to wiggle it a bit for the posts to fit, but it does go in.

Couldn't stand the stock one always bumping the back of my head.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by weeladdie
I put one of the headrests from the back seat onto the drivers seat. Had to wiggle it a bit for the posts to fit, but it does go in.

I just went out and tried that. It wobbles a little, but does click in.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
I've found that adding extra padding to the inside of the upper portion of the backrest helps quite a bit, as it moves your upper back forward and away from the headrest. It sounds difficult to do, but in fact it's quite easy. Unzip the fabric on the back of the seat and unclip it at the bottom. Then use something like a hand towel to stuff in in front of the white plastic plate that you'll find in there. Experiment over a few days and you'll get things just right for your back. This saved me from having to give up the car.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
I'm actually 6'6'' and don't have any problems with the seats as far as comfort is ot. I do however seem to switch my seat position every couple of days. I do normally like to sit more upright, but with this windshield I would often find myself almost leaning over the steering wheel to see red lights.

This car is not design for people of my height, but I just kicked the seat back one or two notches, and no more problems. I drive at least 110 miles every work day and sit in the car for an hour each way, but still I find a reason to go out and drive at lunch.

I'm sure you have tried all of the different positions you can find, just try to cycle through them every once in a while.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by weeladdie

I'm trying that after class tomorrow. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:59 AM
I have the same problem with my headrest. I am short and must keep the seatback upright to reach the shifter without leaning forward to shift into 3rd and 5th, but when I do the headrest forces my head forward and down. I gave up and removed the front headrests until I found a better solution.

I recently met another 09 owner with the same problem who straightened the headrest mounting shafts. I did the same to my mine and noted an immediate improvement.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by longenes

I recently met another 09 owner with the same problem who straightened the headrest mounting shafts. I did the same to my mine and noted an immediate improvement.

Please, could you tell me how you straightened the shafts?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:17 PM
I used a bench vice. I covered the shafts with a shop rag, then clamped the shafts at the angle, with one jaw touching the point of the bend. As I applied pressure, the jaws gradually straightened the shafts. Not completely straight, but enough so the headrest stands more upright and does not push my head forward.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:52 PM
I used a bench vice. I covered the shafts with a shop rag, then clamped the shafts at the angle, with one jaw touching the point of the bend. As I applied pressure, the jaws gradually straightened the shafts. Not completely straight, but enough so the headrest stands more upright and does not push my head forward.
Thanks. But being a thick headed German, that's not too mechanical I could use some clarification.

First I put it in this way and tried pulling back on the headrest part with my hands. It wouldn't budge. Also not very good leverage.

Then I put it in the vise this way and again pulled with my hands to straighten. Again I could not bend it.

After re-reading your post a few more times and having a coffee break, I gave this a try. but as I tightened down on the vise, the shaft would just slide to the straight part and not straighten out.

I did use a rag, but left it off for these pictures. Is one of these methods what you used? Or maybe you used a different type of vise?

Thank's in advance and a + rep(for whatever that's worth) even if you give up on me.

Last edited by cardinal; 05-01-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cardinal
But being a thick headed German, that's not too mechanical I could use some clarification.
Plus rep for being a thick-headed German.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
Plus rep for being a thick-headed German.
lol--- after all these years, there's a payoff. (must be another German)

And for some reason, when I try to give a rep, it still doesn't work.

Last edited by cardinal; 05-02-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:00 PM
I had access to a much larger bench vice, with jaws wide enough that I cold clamp down on both shafts at the same time with the headrest standing verrtical. I did something like your first photo, but clamped the angle like your third photo. I did not have any slippage problem, possibly because I dropped the shafts through the open jaws vertically (with the headrest upright). I only reduced the angle by half, but that was enough to allow the headrest to sit vertical on the seat instead of leaning forward.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:25 PM
I had access to a much larger bench vice, with jaws wide enough that I cold clamp down on both shafts at the same time with the headrest standing verrtical. I did something like your first photo, but clamped the angle like your third photo. I did not have any slippage problem, possibly because I dropped the shafts through the open jaws vertically (with the headrest upright). I only reduced the angle by half, but that was enough to allow the headrest to sit vertical on the seat instead of leaning forward.
O.K. Now I understand. Thanks again!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Here is the bump for CalcuLass.

Quick Reply: New headrest?