2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Window Tint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Window Tint?

It seems that the Fit is going to be a hot little bugger in the summer, so some tint might be in order. I have never had a car tinted, but I have done a little research on it. I have also read the Thread on window tint. I'm still confused. Up here in Ontario Canada it seems the window tinting laws are more then a little confusing. I really want some heat reflection but don't want the inside of the car too dark.(one of the reasons I rejected the Matrix/Vibe).

From my research it seems that Metallic coatings will last longer then dyed ones. Is there any downside in using Metallic (radio, GPS), is it worth the extra costs? Is 50% too light to use all round the car? I kind of like the idea of a silver tint with my silver Fit.
Thanks for the help

Old 05-19-2009, 08:57 PM
IMO 50% isn't worth spending your money on for all over, its barely noticeable. Metallic tint will mess up navi if you have it but the same percentage reflective metallic tint will look and protect against uv rays better than carbon tint or whatever else (at least thats what my shop told me). I did 50% front and 35% in the back because thats the darkest allowed in VA and i didnt feel like getting ticketed for something dumb like that. My friend Wait4thefit has 20% all around and it looks nice but he said its kinda hard to see out of the front side windows at night. I'd personally go with whatever the darkest allowed tint in your area is, especially if you don't want it too dark. i have metallic though and i'm happy with it.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
My dealer tinted all their Fits to charge an extra $250....

Old 05-19-2009, 10:09 PM
I would imagine tint is going to be expensive in Canada since there isn't as much demand. Be prepared for sticker shock on that. I'm in Florida so tint is a must have and there are tint shops on every corner. Lots of supply so prices are much lower.

I got 15% all around for the Florida heat and just because it looks a lot better. 15% is okay on the back windows here but not the fronts. I have yet to be questioned about it. But the privacy is great when I go out for a nap in my car during my lunch break. Phillip is right on one thing, it is a little hard to see out the sides at night. You get used to it though.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
I'm from Alberta and the tint laws here are a lot more strict than other provinces, namely with the restriction that none of the front windows can be tinted. And that's really a good thing for safety 'cause it can be dangerous when pedestrians and other drivers can't see what the driver is looking at.

As for what to actually get, metallic tint will last you longer, but it's also at a significantly higher price, and that goes for ceramic tint. Locally, the best price I got was $225 (and that's what I paid, no GST 'cause I paid cash ;p) for the back 5 windows, non-metallic tint, any shade % (I got 20%, which looks pretty good, not too dark during the day, and can still see out fine at night), lifetime warranty. I also got a quote for ceramic tint, which was $175 PER WINDOW, rip off IMO when I have lifetime warranty on the other tint and it's significantly cheaper.

On a more personal note, I think reflective metallic tint looks retarded. =p But to each his own!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Ontario tint laws are very vague. Basically, the law states the police want to be able to see where your hands are at all times. So a tint percentage is irrelevant. I have run 20% all around on all of my cars and have never had a problem. If speaking with an officer at night I would turn on the interior light. Worst case you will just get a fix-it ticket and have to remove the front windows and replace with a lighter tint.

50% isn't worth doing. A minimum of 35% all around is in order. Most tint jobs in Ontario do 20% in the back, 35% in the front. I personally don't like the two toned look, and 35% isn't dark enough for me, so that is why I have always gone 20% all around.

Definitely get a good shop to do the work, they will carry good heat rejecting tint that should have a lifetime warranty against bubbles/fading/cracks etc. A good job shouldn't cost more than $250 plus tax. Where abouts are you located?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Will a light tint like 50% have the same UV blocking as a darker tint?
I want to get tinted, but was busted for 35% in my last car, so I was going to get 50% in the fronts. I mainly want it for the UV/heat protection, not necessarily looks.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stevet47
Will a light tint like 50% have the same UV blocking as a darker tint?
I want to get tinted, but was busted for 35% in my last car, so I was going to get 50% in the fronts. I mainly want it for the UV/heat protection, not necessarily looks.
You definitely can get different shades and still have the same UV protection...but I only know that for sure for the ceramic tints, I'm not sure how the non-metalized tints work for that. Keep in mind a lot of the light that causes the heat is infrared, which isn't visible light. In the end you get what you pay for. If the UV/heat prevention is really high on your list, then shell out the money. Otherwise I don't think it's really worth looking into.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
I agree with M4psycho. It's more about the type of tint rather than the darkness that determines how much heat is blocked. The place I got my tint done offers a clear ceramic "tint" that blocks more heat than non-ceramic dark limo tint.

I have the ceramic tint on my side and rear windows (to the legal limit here) and it helped out a LOT with the heat and "fish-bowl" effect. There's still a lot of heat that comes through the windshield, so I plan on on getting the clear ceramic coating before it gets too hot here (even though it's already been getting in the 100s).

Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
I just got my Fit done today. 20% all around:

Old 05-20-2009, 10:49 PM
wow that looks lighter than the 35% I had. Looks good though, I dont like it when you cant see through at all.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
50% front, 18% other windows (they have that metallic coating... very reflective)

stance1.jpg?t=1242874302

50% all round by itself would be really light... seriously

i would suggest 35% if you do it the same all around.

My radio reception is fine... and really I don't see how it would affect the GPS unless your antenna was mounted within the car. If it is mounted on the roof then I don't see there being a problem. (a lot of newer cars have it integrated into the regular whip antenna... but i'm not sure about what honda did). I still use my phone in my car without a problem too, it's certainly no screen room (or faraday cage as most know it as)

Last edited by Fat Ping Cat; 05-20-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:47 PM
It's getting warm already here in NW Florida and I am ready to tint and also install my window vents.

Clear ceramics sound very interesting for the windshield...

Trogdor! (or any one else), who makes the clear tint? Vista, Hűper, or...?

Also curious to know as to how much one might be able to tint with the clear ceramics on the immense amount of windshield.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Definitely get a good shop to do the work, they will carry good heat rejecting tint that should have a lifetime warranty against bubbles/fading/cracks etc. A good job shouldn't cost more than $250 plus tax. Where abouts are you located?
I'm in Ontario, in the London area, anyone good around?

Old 05-23-2009, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
I have used Cancare Auto in Kitchener for 5 of my vehicles so far and can't complain. He uses top notch material, backs up his work and knows what he is doing. Cancare Auto Appearance and Protection Center. I will be getting my Fit done there soon, he quoted me $249. I have never had any work done in your area unfortunately.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:40 PM
My PT had factory tint that worked fine so I never looked into it....but almost no tint on my new Fit and I may have to look into it. My daughter got her base model PT tinted and it does help ......In WV most use 'Limo tint' on the rear side windows but I am not sure what percentage it is.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Drove mine off the lot with tint all the way around but for the driver/passenger windows (though they do have a light hint of tint to them). Just assumed it was factory as it wasn't listed as a dealer installed item or tacked on to my base price. Looks comparable to SheepNutz pics above (except for the front of course). Plenty happy with it just the way it is...