2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The offical "where is our glass roof?!" thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:15 AM
The offical "where is our glass roof?!" thread

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why (other than the net margins needed for the nice Fit price point) Honda USA did not include the JDM glass roof on the USDM GE. It is something that totally transforms the car inside...and just creates an openness in this small 'container'. I am not even looking for a sunroof option - but a sky/glass roof option. Surely the glass roof option is a cheaper alternative than a motorized sunroof. Cars like the MINI and the Scion just have this option down solid - an inexpensive option with good looks and works well.

Getting back to the GE - I thought I had read somewhere it was a US safety issue that would not be met my the a-pillar rake and support (also unverified on the Nissan Cube's removal of this option on the USDM version as well), but it just does not make sense to me.

Then today - I saw this announcement for the new 2010 Ford Mustang:
Glass roof Ford Mustang returns for 2010

This roof option (as much as I wanted a powered sunroof) is sorely missed for me and was one of those things that when I purchased my Fit in May, was that "oh well, maybe another time and another place." One of those moments with the pros out-weighed the cons on this car and I will just deal with it. I even looked at the aftermarket sunroofs, but just not happy with their non-OE look.

I just want this (below) - how hard would it be to convert a USDM fit to JDM glass roof option? And would the cost of such a task outweigh the benefits?

Thoughts?

Old 06-18-2009, 10:33 AM
I agree but knowing Honda it'd only be available on the Sport - Nav model which would now be $4000 more and I'd never get one anyway! haha!

Old 06-18-2009, 01:06 PM
That glass would be heavy. Something you don't want on an econobox. Light weight + small engine = better mpg. I don't think whatever gage metal used on the roof is very heavy compared to glass.
From a weight point of view the glass top would be a lose lose plus with added weight and with an already high profile I wouldn't think it would do to well from a handling stand point either.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
That glass would be heavy. Something you don't want on an econobox. Light weight + small engine = better mpg. I don't think whatever gage metal used on the roof is very heavy compared to glass.
From a weight point of view the glass top would be a lose lose plus with added weight and with an already high profile I wouldn't think it would do to well from a handling stand point either.
I understand what you are saying, but why then include it in Japan where the car is just about identical in terms of curb weight (minus the low impact bumpers)? May be a cost issue.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
The top is paper thin flexes like mad when hand washing...and when the air dry unit going through the car wash hits it...it flexes like mad! Never seen the top of a car cave under air dry pressure...

Old 06-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by thebluepotato
I understand what you are saying, but why then include it in Japan where the car is just about identical in terms of curb weight (minus the low impact bumpers)? May be a cost issue.
I think a cost is def. something to do with it...but also remember their epa standards (if any) are totally different than the U.S. so that was my point of them trying to get the weight down to keep the mpg up there.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Sounds like a custom job, that's if you can even find a glass top for your fit.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
How 'bout this:

YouTube - 2009 Honda Fit with Webasto Panoramic Sunroof

I like this one too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0obDqbWBNi8

Last edited by reako; 06-18-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:04 PM
ooo.. I like that 2nd one. The idea of a panoramic is cool, but that first one doesn't seem to fit right, it just looks weird.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:11 PM
CRXs back in the early 90s had glass roofs too.
With the complaints of the A/C now, having a glass roof doesn't help.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Man I couldnt imagine having that down here in Alabama in the summer my car is like a greenhouse now when I get in and its only June.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
I'm sure we won't get the glass roof in the U.S. for the same reason that we don't get a leather option and rear discs. It's a combination of cost and culture.

In Japan and Europe, cars like the Fit are "real" cars. Cars are small there because of crowded urban areas, lack of parking and short travel distances. Buyers in those markets are willing to pay for upscale amenities in a tiny car.

In America, subcompacts are "econoboxes", entry level cars or second cars, and price rules the market. The Fit is already expensive for the class, with the Sport with Navi and VSA selling for over $19K. I don't think the U.S. market would pay the freight that these extras would cost. Sure, many of us here would, but we're enthusiasts, and we don't drive the market.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I'm sure we won't get the glass roof in the U.S. for the same reason that we don't get a leather option and rear discs. It's a combination of cost and culture.

In Japan and Europe, cars like the Fit are "real" cars. Cars are small there because of crowded urban areas, lack of parking and short travel distances. Buyers in those markets are willing to pay for upscale amenities in a tiny car.

In America, subcompacts are "econoboxes", entry level cars or second cars, and price rules the market. The Fit is already expensive for the class, with the Sport with Navi and VSA selling for over $19K. I don't think the U.S. market would pay the freight that these extras would cost. Sure, many of us here would, but we're enthusiasts, and we don't drive the market.
well put.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary

Yep; dead nuts on. We've been looking for something economical but a little bigger and more deluxe than the Fit; hard thing to do if what you want are the amenities; leather, programmable seats, etc.
Moon

Old 06-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Maybe not necessarily a skybox option, but I'd kill for a sun-roof option!
I'm a big fan of the all-windows down, screw the "bad MPG drag" created - so a sun-roof would be fantastic.

While a skybox is unbelievably COOL looking and very "eco" looking, considering you can see all 360degrees around you - as others said, the simple weight of a sheet of glass (especially one thick enough for shock/scratch resistance) would be magnanimous and expensive.

As Uncle Gary said, it is also a culture thing.
When I visited Japan, it's un-believable how customized with upscale amenities the most "un-seen USA" cars would be there. Nearly all "econobox" USA considered cars were decked with leather seats, dash LED touch consoles, etc. It was quite a sight.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Exactly. Here in America, cars like the Fit are considered to be a second, commuter car or something you drive because you can't afford a "real" car. This may change, but old attitudes toward small cars die hard.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Malice101
The top is paper thin flexes like mad when hand washing...and when the air dry unit going through the car wash hits it...it flexes like mad! Never seen the top of a car cave under air dry pressure...
I hear that. I fear being caught outside outside in a hailstorm.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
At first I was a little mad that the glass roof will not be available on the USDM 2009 GE8.

But I'd rather have a moonroof that actually opens. The glass skyroof doesn't open only the shade part opens/closes.

After seeing a few aftermarket sunroofs, I will go that route. It looks like they add some extra cross supports and probably stiffens it up a little...