2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Lowering Springs & Alignment Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:20 AM
Lowering Springs & Alignment Issues

I brought my car into GoodYear Tires today to get my alignment done after lowering the car on the Eibach Sportline springs.

When I went to go pick up my car, the tech said that the rear wheels could not be adjusted. So now my front tires are aligned and my rear tires are SOL.

Did anyone else have this problem when getting the alignment after lowering the car? What can I do to fix the problem?

Old 08-10-2009, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, from the factory there is no way to adjust the rear, you can however get a shim kit off ebay that fits behind the rear hub assembly to adjust toe and camber, but you would need to know the readings from the alignment machine.

You really should not have any issue with the rear though since camber and toe are static (solid rear beam).

Old 08-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Baked is right.
I was told the same thing when I got aligned. I've been dropped for over 4k miles now and still no issues. Tire wear is normal.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Try to find a local tuner shop around your area. Companies like Goodyear and Pepboys and all that are very general tuning. If it's out of the ordinary, such as modifying the suspension, they won't do it.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
so bascially since the rear cant be adjusted, shims are not even necessary?

Old 08-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
Yes, from the factory there is no way to adjust the rear, you can however get a shim kit off ebay that fits behind the rear hub assembly to adjust toe and camber, but you would need to know the readings from the alignment machine.

You really should not have any issue with the rear though since camber and toe are static (solid rear beam).

thanks bakedcookies,

so a shim kit isn't necessary then?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stalonehong
thanks bakedcookies,

so a shim kit isn't necessary then?
if you are not rubbing then you wont need one. I am researching them to run a wider wheel and get it to fit in the fender.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
interesting bit of info, i wonder how the thing handles so well if camber doesn't become more negative as the back end lowers

also, i guess driving around with a loaded up car shouldn't introduce any weird tire wear either

Old 08-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by mike2100
interesting bit of info, i wonder how the thing handles so well if camber doesn't become more negative as the back end lowers

also, i guess driving around with a loaded up car shouldn't introduce any weird tire wear either
yeah...i was gonna ask that next...wouldn't the tire have uneven tread wear?

Old 08-10-2009, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
im the alignment tech here in orlando at a goodyear and they should have the shim kits there at the store. the tech was probaly lazy and didnt want to do it cause its a pain in the ass to do but don t worry about it you wont really get that much wear you may just get a little bit of feathering but not anything that will kill your tires

btw be very very carefull if you dont trust the person doing it cause it WILL mess with your abs system but if you dont care do the shims im on coils and im pretty low but my rear toe is out and i have no issues with my tires but i also did my alignment too

Old 08-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by nxtfit_08
im the alignment tech here in orlando at a goodyear and they should have the shim kits there at the store. the tech was probaly lazy and didnt want to do it cause its a pain in the ass to do but don t worry about it you wont really get that much wear you may just get a little bit of feathering but not anything that will kill your tires

btw be very very carefull if you dont trust the person doing it cause it WILL mess with your abs system but if you dont care do the shims im on coils and im pretty low but my rear toe is out and i have no issues with my tires but i also did my alignment too

thanks for the info. yeah..the guy that was helping me did look like a douche.

can you elaborate on how it will mess up my abs? thanks

Old 08-22-2009, 08:36 PM
can anyone direct me to where i can get a shim kit for the rear wheels?

Old 08-22-2009, 08:50 PM
SPC makes them. But you need to know how far out of alignment your car was measured before you buy them.

HONDA FIT 06-08 REAR CAMBER/TOE DUAL ANGLE SHIM (RED)

Old 08-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by awptickes
SPC makes them. But you need to know how far out of alignment your car was measured before you buy them.

HONDA FIT 06-08 REAR CAMBER/TOE DUAL ANGLE SHIM (RED)

will this fit for th 09 fit?? and i got my alignment about 1 month ago. would i need to measure it again?

how do i install these?

sorry...noob question

Old 06-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I had an alignment on 2009 Sport Fit last week at a Firestone shop. They tried 3 times to put in a shim that they got through NAPA. Each time they tried it locked up the wheel bearings, so they gave up. Any suggestions at this point?

Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
will this also be an issue with a 2011 sport

Old 06-06-2011, 01:39 PM
This is resurrection from the dead lol, what exactly are the alignment issues?

Old 06-06-2011, 01:43 PM
The shims do not work for the GE chassis guys, only the GD. The GD has the bold-on hubs to the rear axle. The GE rear spindles are solid/welded to the rear axle, they do not bolt on so there is nothing to shim.

GE 2009-2011+

GD 2007-2008

Old 06-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by stalonehong
I brought my car into GoodYear Tires today to get my alignment done after lowering the car on the Eibach Sportline springs.

When I went to go pick up my car, the tech said that the rear wheels could not be adjusted. So now my front tires are aligned and my rear tires are SOL.

Did anyone else have this problem when getting the alignment after lowering the car? What can I do to fix the problem?
off topic... but could you post pics of your car? i was considering the Eibach Sportline springs but didnt have any good pics on our cars! also any issues rubbing, scraping, do you notice an improvement in handling? thanks in advance!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
after i put on my coils, the car drifts right, so in order the keep driving straight, the steering wheel has to be tilted ever so slightly left to correct, I'm guessing this is an alignment issue?

any help on this is appreciated, thanks.

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs & Alignment Issues