2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Theft - How Common?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
Wheel Theft - How Common?

I've never had a car with alloy wheels before, and I see people mentioning using wheel locks. I'm wondering how likely it would be for the OEM wheels on a Fit to be stolen. Looking in the parking lot where I work, it looks like maybe only 10% of cars with alloys have wheel locks.

Also, how effective are the wheel locks? Is it likely that someone cruising around with a floor jack and the right size lug wrench would also be carrying the tools needed to overcome the locks?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:40 AM
It depends on where you live, and where you park. Some people have a problem with it, but I never have.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:13 AM
You'd normally think that fairly unadorned OEM wheels wouldn't be a target but it seems they fit well on older Hondas and depending on where you live, they could be a fairly common target.

Regarding the wheel locks...About as effective as keeping the wheels on the car as the lock on your car door is at keeping people from getting in - which is to say anyone with enough time, determination and the right tools (you do need more than a jack and a lugwrench, though) will be able to remove the locking nuts. But the point is that hopefully they'll see the locks on your wheels and go bother someone else with no locks.

Regardless of how effective they are or how likely wheel theft is where you live, a good set of wheel locks is under $50 and takes 5 min. to install so there's really no reason not to get a set.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by awptickes
It depends on where you live, and where you park. Some people have a problem with it, but I never have.

That said, but I've never had a set of alloy wheels on a car without a set of locks.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by awptickes
Yep.

My OEMs got jacked less than 3 days after I got the car. The incident happened @ 5.45am Sat. It took them less than 6mins to get all 4. Granted that they found the wheel key in the glove compartment where the dealer placed it (I didnt have a chance to move it yet). The thieves were nice enough to bring their own cinderblocks and they didnt mess with the stereo/navi.

I say it's worth to get the locks. It's cheap to get a decent aftermarket set.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
jac-Fit,

That really stinks that you got hit, and that quickly. Do you have any recommendations on a good place to get aftermarket locks? Otherwise, the Honda locks are only $31.99 at Bernardi. Any benefit to aftermarket locks other than possibly lower price?

Old 08-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
They get jacked if you live in a heavy urban area and your car is left on the street. I've seen it more than enough on this forum that when I bought my Fit in 2007 I ordered the wheel locks. I live in a small city and keep my car in a garage at night but did not want to risk it. Wheel locks will make it not quite so easy and consider a baby monitor inside your car if your not too far from where the vehicle is parked. A good security system bumped up from what the Fit has as stock is also a good idea.

Cat :x

Old 08-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yep, depends on where you live/take the car as posted above.

our wheels are very popular amoungst the theives. but if you do get them stolen, think of it as a good opportunity to go aftermarket.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:53 AM
5 Year Member
Keep your fit in you garage and its hardly a concern. If you don't have a garage... Maybe you should be saving money for a down payment on a home - not buying brand new cars?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Ultrawolf
jac-Fit,

That really stinks that you got hit, and that quickly. Do you have any recommendations on a good place to get aftermarket locks? Otherwise, the Honda locks are only $31.99 at Bernardi. Any benefit to aftermarket locks other than possibly lower price?
I was upset back then but now I'm ok. I think I came out even. I got hassled in exchange for RPF1 rims, General Altimax tires, & some pocket change. Insurance wrote me a check since the car was paid for already. Insurance said that my rate won't go up because it was no fault of mine. However, my rate did went slightly up. I'm not sure if it was due to this since my bro, who's on the same policy umbrella, hit a sidewalk curb which triggered his airbags.

Anyways, I got my wheel locks from Tire Rack. I think it sells for $19.99. I don't see any difference in terms of functionality between the one in Tire Rack vs. Honda's OEM locks (my family owns a CRV, 2 civics, and my Fit).

Old 08-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Banned
locks won't stop thieves just make them angry meaning they'll prolly do more than just steal the wheels......ooh dang this is the GE section well i wouldn't worry the GE wheels are gross anyway

Old 08-18-2009, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Get the Gorilla brand locks from Summitracing seach a thread for exact part number. I bought them set of 16, and they are AWESOME. you could not get those things out with a vicegrip at all...

Old 08-18-2009, 10:18 AM
I have steelies! Don't think people will steal those.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by justintime
Get the Gorilla brand locks from Summitracing seach a thread for exact part number. I bought them set of 16, and they are AWESOME. you could not get those things out with a vicegrip at all...
I've been planning to get the same set myself.

myke

Old 08-18-2009, 01:00 PM
I need to get a set of locks as well, I live in a safe neighborhood but my wife has to park downtown for school. We're kind of nervous

p.s. Myke, my other ride is a scooter as well! (Honda Ruckus)

Old 08-18-2009, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Too much thinking - makes head hurt

Thanks for all the info on wheel locks and wheel theft. If anyone could answer:

Are the special wrenches (aka "keys") all the same for a particular brand of wheel locks? If I buy Gorilla locks, will I have the same wrench as all the other Gorilla lock owners? Ditto for Honda locks. If so, it make the locks seem even more like a deterrent for the kid with a lug wrench, but not for the pro thief who will just invest in a key (or keep the one he found in a glove box).

It's not clear from Honda's eStore accessories site how many locking wheel nuts you get. Do they just give you one per wheel?

Thanks again for educating me on this topic.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
There are several different locks, not sure how many but not all locks are the same key.

Honda locks come in a 4 pk.... 1 for each wheel.

The Gorilla locks are sold either in a 4 pk (1 for each wheel), or in set of 16, 20, etc. etc... Not sure how many combinations of lock keys there are.

I bought a set of 16 Gorilla locks, installed 3 on each wheel, and kept on the one Honda lock per wheel after I bought the Gorillas.

Originally Posted by FitStir

Those are the OEM lugs in the Gorilla bag...

Installed...

3 Gorilla locks, and I kept on the 1 OEM... you can see the OEM stick out....

Old 08-18-2009, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Judging by the key code given to me with the Gorilla locks (in case I need duplicates), it appears there are thousands of possible key designs... but thats just my educated guess.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
i also bought the set of 16 gorilla locks from summit racing and i am very pleased with them.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks!

Thanks again for all the info, and thanks for the photos FitStir. Those Gorilla locks have a nice clean look. I live within a half hour of Summit Racing's retail store. Never been there, but I might have make a trip. Any excuse for a drive in the Fit.

I don't think I'm a prime candidate for wheel theft, but they seem like cheap insurance.

One last annoying question. Is there any problem with a shop dealing with the locks when I want to get tires rotated? Will the key/wrench just fit in their air gun chuck? Will they want to charge me a nuisance fee?

Sorry, I think things through a lot.

Quick Reply: Wheel Theft - How Common?