2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Fit A/C Fan Broke (ALREADY!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
09 Fit A/C Fan Broke (ALREADY!)

Bought my brand new 09 base Fit in Nov of 2008.

Now, at 10,121 miles my A/C will only blow air at the 4th speed setting. At speeds 1-3 it doesn't blow at all as if it's off.

I baby the car and it has already had two oil changes (the second with Penn. Plat) even though the meter shows 50%+ oil life.

I know things brake but has this happened to others? This is my first non American built car and I bought it because of quality reputation.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Is it covered under warrenty? I haven't owned my fit long enough to give an opinion, but this is my first non-domestic car for me too and I'm hoping to not see anything like that. But, shit happens occasionally, no matter who and no matter what. I don't recall seeing many [any?] posts about this issue. But really, the main thing being- is it covered?

Dan

Old 08-25-2009, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Is it covered under warrenty? I haven't owned my fit long enough to give an opinion, but this is my first non-domestic car for me too and I'm hoping to not see anything like that. But, shit happens occasionally, no matter who and no matter what. I don't recall seeing many [any?] posts about this issue. But really, the main thing being- is it covered?

Dan
It BETTER be covered!

Brand new car (less than a year old) and the A/C breaks? That's bad and sad as far as quality, but I guess it could happen to any brand of car.

Not covering it? Unacceptable. Something so silly never crossed my mind (I don't blame you for thinking that since dealerships do odd things at times).

All I know is that they better not play that game with me.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:52 PM
First year of a redesign. Things break. That's what warranties are for. Take it in, get it fixed, and report back as to what it was.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
I...am...sure it's covered. I'd be knocked out if it wasn't, and fighting mad! Post the outcome.

Dan

Old 08-25-2009, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, at least one other person has had the problem and it seems to have been covered under warranty:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...operating.html

Old 08-25-2009, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Is this the vent/heater fan speed control? I'm just wondering because it keeps being called "broken A/C". To me that's a completely different thing.

As for the fan speed control... If it's like older models then it's an easy fix (replacement of resistor module - 15 minutes max). and it definitely should be covered under warranty.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like the blower resistor pack is shot ... should be an easy fix if it isn't covered under warranty.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
Is this the vent/heater fan speed control? I'm just wondering because it keeps being called "broken A/C". To me that's a completely different thing.

As for the fan speed control... If it's like older models then it's an easy fix (replacement of resistor module - 15 minutes max). and it definitely should be covered under warranty.
Sorry for calling it "broken A/C fan" when it's only "a part of the A/C system". My bad.

Sure it's an easy fix.

What's not easy is making four trips to the dealership. One trip so that I can drop off the car in order for them to "diagnose" the issue (even though we all now know the issue). Then I will have to make another trip to pick up the car b/c they are most likely going to need to order the part. Then, I will have to make third trip when the part arrives. Finally, a fourth trip to pick up the fixed car.

We also know that I won't just be able to drop off the car and get a loaner for the day or until the issue is resolved. That means that I am going to have to call in a favor(s) and ask someone to drive one of my other cars and follow me to the dealership. That way I drop off my Honda at the dealer, let them do their thing and use my other car to drop the person who drove my second car back off at their car and only then be able to go to work.

I am also going to have to repeat all of that at the end of the day after they diagnose the issue and tell me that it's going to be days before the part is in since I wouldn't want my car doing nothing at the dealership.

Then I get to repeat the mission for a third and fourth time when the part arrives. GREAT!!! LUCKY ME!!!!

I guess some people can just sit and wait for a few hours while the car gets worked on. The dealerships around me are so busy, there is no such thing as "in and out". I can't wait. I work two jobs and there is no such thing as missing work b/c of car issues.The dealerships around me are so busy, that there is no such thing as "in and out" (only "in and wait, and wait, and WAIT").

So, while you are correct in saying that it's a simple fix, "getting it fixed" for me is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE BUTT.

Last edited by Shora; 08-25-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:37 AM
This is a common problem on GM cars, probably far more common then on a Honda.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
that sucks, but i am almost certain that will be covered under your warranty.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by Shora
Sorry for calling it "broken A/C fan" when it's only "a part of the A/C system". My bad.

Sure it's an easy fix.

What's not easy is making four trips to the dealership. One trip so that I can drop off the car in order for them to "diagnose" the issue (even though we all now know the issue). Then I will have to make another trip to pick up the car b/c they are most likely going to need to order the part. Then, I will have to make third trip when the part arrives. Finally, a fourth trip to pick up the fixed car.

We also know that I won't just be able to drop off the car and get a loaner for the day or until the issue is resolved. That means that I am going to have to call in a favor(s) and ask someone to drive one of my other cars and follow me to the dealership. That way I drop off my Honda at the dealer, let them do their thing and use my other car to drop the person who drove my second car back off at their car and only then be able to go to work.

I am also going to have to repeat all of that at the end of the day after they diagnose the issue and tell me that it's going to be days before the part is in since I wouldn't want my car doing nothing at the dealership.

Then I get to repeat the mission for a third and fourth time when the part arrives. GREAT!!! LUCKY ME!!!!

I guess some people can just sit and wait for a few hours while the car gets worked on. The dealerships around me are so busy, there is no such thing as "in and out". I can't wait. I work two jobs and there is no such thing as missing work b/c of car issues.The dealerships around me are so busy, that there is no such thing as "in and out" (only "in and wait, and wait, and WAIT").

So, while you are correct in saying that it's a simple fix, "getting it fixed" for me is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE BUTT.
i feel your pain. my 07 accord, which i bought new, was in the shop numerous times during the 15 mos i owned it. major pita. but, its a car. things break. it could be worse.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
You make the problem to be worse than it has to be. Call the dealer parts dept. and ask if they have the fan speed control resister module in stock. Try other dealers if they don't. If none have it then have one order it. Set-up an appointment only when you know they have the part and most likely you could wait for it to be installed.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
I had the exact thing happen to me, only setting 4 works. They replaced the resistor under warranty but now I hear some strange clicking noise from setting 1 - 3 and very noticeable when the car is idling. I called Honda and they told me they’ll have to get in there to see what's wrong and if it's something to do with a trapped foreign object like an leaf they'll have to charge me for it. Sounds like I'm not the only person with this problem. Once you get it fix listen for the clicking sound, if it's there I bet there is nothing trapped in the fan but a faulty fan to begin with. I'm going to open up the fan to take a look when I get a chance.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
There's no way for a foreign object to get inside the squirrel cage (blower fan) on new hondas because of the cabin filter. If something is in there it's because someone dropped it in there.

Original poster, it's not just an A/C fan, it's also the heater fan.

Blower motor resistors have been breaking on Hondas for 20 years or more. Not sure why!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:32 AM
not just honda. common issue on older bmws too.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member

Sure it's an easy fix.

We just need the cheese now!! Geez my dealer will drive me home/work( if I was) and pick me up when it is repaired.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
We just need the cheese now!! Geez my dealer will drive me home/work( if I was) and pick me up when it is repaired.
No wonder that you aren't wine(ing). Your dealer picks you up/ drops you off while "I would need to make 4 f-ing trips".

Maybe if you had to make 4 trips, you would be waiting for some cheese instead of being a smart a$$. Than again, maybe not.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:39 PM
yeah, resistor pack. Article of faith with Jeeps; already changed mine. Stuff does happen; may God have mercy on your soul if you ever get a REAL lemon.
Moon

Old 08-26-2009, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
No wonder that you aren't wine(ing). Your dealer picks you up/ drops you off while "I would need to make 4 f-ing trips".

Maybe if you had to make 4 trips, you would be waiting for some cheese instead of being a smart a$$. Than again, maybe not.
I see you still think it'll be 4 trips. Perhaps it's that way because you see it that way even after my previous post.

Quick Reply: 09 Fit A/C Fan Broke (ALREADY!)