2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

GD3 Mugen Sport Suspension on the GE8

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Lek,

So your saying we should be able to toss the 08 springs on a 09 with out any issues? even with the spring rate be such a big range in stiffness between the two?

Originally Posted by Lek
If anyone wants to lower there car like Tanabe NF210 with better road holding, just buy a secondhand set of stock GD stock springs. (millions of sets around for a few dollars)

JS tower bars make the steering more responsive that's about it. Your Mugen suspension will have improved that already.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by toyotabb
Lek,

So your saying we should be able to toss the 08 springs on a 09 with out any issues? even with the spring rate be such a big range in stiffness between the two?

Guys, I don't like to speculate about what springs will fit, and which springs will work.... All I'm saying with this whole thread is that the Mugen suspension appears to fit without any problems. As soon as I run into problems with the Mugen suspension, I will post here.

I do have a little bit of banging, which I think is the Anti-Roll Bar, but other than that and the lack of mounting brackets for the brake lines and ABS sensor wires, it's awesome.

The banging only happens when I hit a small abrupt bump. It sounds like it's the anti-roll bar, but I haven't had time to investigate yet. Perhaps today after I go to get an estimate on a harness bar I will have time.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:12 PM
yeah that sounds like a loose end link... does the strut top fit in tight?

Old 09-08-2009, 12:16 PM
It's not solidly mounted in there, and I think that may be the problem.

I'll get that taken care of sometime either today if it doesn't rain (no usable garage blows. ) or Thursday when I put in the poly anti-roll bushings I forgot to install with the suspension.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Ok, well as you said let us know. I got a set tanabes from a 08 in the garage and besides the spring rate they look to be no diffrent than the 09. But ill wait too see what you report back with before i go changing them.

Thanks!!

Originally Posted by awptickes
Guys, I don't like to speculate about what springs will fit, and which springs will work.... All I'm saying with this whole thread is that the Mugen suspension appears to fit without any problems. As soon as I run into problems with the Mugen suspension, I will post here.

I do have a little bit of banging, which I think is the Anti-Roll Bar, but other than that and the lack of mounting brackets for the brake lines and ABS sensor wires, it's awesome.

The banging only happens when I hit a small abrupt bump. It sounds like it's the anti-roll bar, but I haven't had time to investigate yet. Perhaps today after I go to get an estimate on a harness bar I will have time.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:34 PM
springs do fit its just the spring rates on 07-08s are much higher...

its the shock mounts that are questionable...

Old 09-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Thats what i thought. Just dont want it to end up feeling like im driving on bricks and or destroy a strut mount/strut tower. And it seems like the wait for any aftermarket struts/shocks for the 09 is taking forever.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Lek
My BC Coilovers are F4k/R5k and they feel OK on softer settings, but the adjustable struts are designed for harder springs.

Ok, well as you said let us know. I got a set tanabes from a 08 in the garage and besides the spring rate they look to be no diffrent than the 09. But ill wait too see what you report back with before i go changing them.
Tanabe springs for the GD maybe too low. Try fitting the rear springs first to test the drop and feel. Rear springs fit in about 10 minutes.

Last edited by Lek; 09-08-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Lek
My BC Coilovers are F4k/R5k and they feel OK on softer settings, but the adjustable struts are designed for harder springs.

Tanabe springs for the GD maybe too low. Try fitting the rear springs first to test the drop and feel. Rear springs fit in about 10 minutes.

Lek, for me it's never low enough lol. Now going by what your running I believe a have a few sets of ground control and aerospeed coilover/sleeve overs in in those spring rates. Soon as I get a chance I'll throw them on and see what it feels like. And I'll also see what the tanabes feel like as well.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Glad you like them... I thought they felt exactly as you described them, Fit Type R

Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Yep. They rock. A little rough for some of the roads around here, but MD has pretty nasty roads too. I'll just have to be more selective of the roads I take.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:26 AM
not to jack the thread but i may have damaged my 09 fits springs....

it was a 12 hour trip from so cal to nor cal and had 4 ppl in the car (including me) and all our crap cuz we were commin back from vacation, but the car was extremely low when every1 was in it, and now that i got everything out i noticed that the car is still sitting lower then before the trip.... so since honda made the springs not as stiff as the gd3's could they be prown to sag more or sooner?

but in no way am i complaining cuz now its like i got lowered for free

Old 09-09-2009, 03:57 AM
nah u should be fine...

Old 09-09-2009, 04:59 AM
Lek
not to jack the thread but i may have damaged my 09 fits springs....

it was a 12 hour trip from so cal to nor cal and had 4 ppl in the car (including me) and all our crap cuz we were commin back from vacation, but the car was extremely low when every1 was in it, and now that i got everything out i noticed that the car is still sitting lower then before the trip.... so since honda made the springs not as stiff as the gd3's could they be prown to sag more or sooner?

but in no way am i complaining cuz now its like i got lowered for free
Everyone load the car and go on a long trip somewhere. A vacation and lower car for the price of a tank of gas, but you may need to buy a new set of shocks.

Last edited by Lek; 09-09-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
I'm running stock GD springs on my Ge and have been for 10K miles. No problem, same height, just a bit stiffer. I'd take pictures but literally, it looks the same. I got them because there was a 'what swaps between a GE and GD' thread a while back and there's a pic of a slammed GE and it said it was GD suspension. I'm not sure if the shock mounting is different, but its definitely not the spring height. I'm picking up some Skunk2 GD springs today or tomorrow and I'll throw those on and then take some pics.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 AM
No, guys, I'm telling you that the shock mounting isn't any different. It's just the little appendages on the shock body that you use to mount the brake line and the ABS sensor wire.

20090907-DSC_0332 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 09-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by awptickes
No, guys, I'm telling you that the shock mounting isn't any different. It's just the little appendages on the shock body that you use to mount the brake line and the ABS sensor wire.
yup got the first time... i think the previous poster didnt read the rest of the thread...?

Old 09-09-2009, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Oh I read it - just trying to put in my $0.02 in case anyone was wondering.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Lek
Everyone load the car and go on a long trip somewhere. A vacation and lower car for the price of a tank of gas, but you may need to buy a new set of shocks.

im not jokin i went to check on it and i drove it around a little.... still lower.... its kool but now i live in sf and a low car isnt kool... but its all good i want to get gd suspension soon so ill see if mine are samller compared to the stock ones when i do

Old 09-09-2009, 10:27 PM
I tightened the end links last night and today it still clicked/banged/tapped.

Tonight I put some washers on, and I tightened again. However on a whim, I compared the GD end links I have to the GE's end links, and as I suspected, the GD endlinks are a bit shorter. Unfortunately the GD end links I have are too damaged for me to put them on my car. Now my quest to find some mint GD end links....

Quick Reply: GD3 Mugen Sport Suspension on the GE8