2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front defroster- on a LOT

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Front defroster- on a LOT

I'm finding nine times out of ten I have the thing on to rid the front windshield of haze. This is nearly always the case at night. Day time is not a problem. I commute during night hours. But literally- chilly, it has to be on. Hot, it has to be on. Humid, it has to be on. I haven't run into a type of temperature where it doesn't need to be on. It's not the full blown fog you get when you first hop into the car when it's chilly out. That I understand has to be cleared and is normal. It's after you clear it and you want to turn the defroster off to save gas. It starts to build up pretty quick once again- this haze that doesn't seem to want to stay fully clear for the long haul. It's not the windshield defect others have mentioned in the past either. I don't smoke in the car and I keep the windshield clean. I keep the circulation on outside air. It seems like the car is just tight- so tight that it starts to fog up from mere breath after a short while. But seriously, it's on a lot and that wastes gas I would think.

Do any of you notice this?

Dan

Old 10-02-2009, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Yup... I just started noticing this since we've had a lot of rain and it's been more humid. When it is dry out, I see no issues, just when it's raining (or has recently rained).

~SB

Old 10-03-2009, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like its occurring more often for you...

I've noticed it happening more often now that the temps start falling at night, but overall since I got the car in January, whether cold, heat, humid, dry, rainy, etc... I've only minimally used the defrost, and I've disabled the auto A/C the first week I had the car (it was one of my first mods).

Originally Posted by Shockwave199
It's after you clear it and you want to turn the defroster off to save gas.
Try this mod ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...c-defrost.html
I think the pics are down but it's quite simple I did it to mine, it should help you save some gas.

Since you're in NY you should come to the next meet. ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/new-...00hp-bust.html

Old 10-04-2009, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
I would apply Rain-X Anti-Fog.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah OP you aren't alone, my windshield is horrible as well...i'm going to try disabling the auto a/c, thanks for linking us!

Old 10-05-2009, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not too keen on anti-fog stuff on the inner windshield. Is the rainx any good? Thanks for that mod link. The pics are gone from that. Not sure I would go that far either. I just cleaned the heck out of the windshield today. Seems better. I'll keep an eye on it.

Dan

Old 10-05-2009, 07:05 AM
Check that you don't have the vent switched to recirculate. I occasionally noticed the same thing only to see that someone flipped from fresh air to recirc.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member
Rain-X

Originally Posted by Shockwave199
I'm not too keen on anti-fog stuff on the inner windshield. Is the rainx any good? Thanks for that mod link. The pics are gone from that. Not sure I would go that far either. I just cleaned the heck out of the windshield today. Seems better. I'll keep an eye on it.

Dan
I use Rain-X for the last 10 years with all my cars and trucks. Helps easily remove frost, ice, salt, mud and bugs. You can see raindrops fly off your windshield. I apply it once a month. Just my personal opinion and preference.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITMugen
I use Rain-X for the last 10 years with all my cars and trucks. Helps easily remove frost, ice, salt, mud and bugs. You can see raindrops fly off your windshield. I apply it once a month. Just my personal opinion and preference.
I think the op was talking about applying the rain-x anti fog to the inside of the windshield and asking how effective it is.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
This was the pic from Roger's Fit thread

pic courtesy of Roger's Fit (I hope its ok I uploaded it) Thanks again.

The panels come off quite easily, just wrap a flat head screwdriver in some tape to prevent any scratches.
The main reason people did the mod was to save gas I believe. It was one of the easiest mods I did, and I'm glad I did it.

Try the Rain-X anti Fog (inside windshield), it helps out a little, so far I haven't had to use it but we'll see in Autumn weather.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:08 AM
I'd put 6500 miles on my Fit (in 2 months) without so much as a car wash - and yes, by the end of that time period, without having cleaned the windows, the fog issue was the same for me. Using a good glass cleaner and thoroughly cleaning the inside of the windshield (done this weekend) helped immensely.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ive not noticed much fogging on my GD or GE... you have the hvac
on the 'fresh air' mode, correct? if it's on re-circulate the
fogging doesnt always go away.

as for cleaning the glass on the inside i use Prima Clarity and
their glass MF towels. www.detailersparadise.com or buy from
amazon.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:04 PM
I used to use windex or anything with ammonia in it to clean my windows. A week later you could see a film on the windshield which seemed like it helped create the fogging issue. I heard something about using vinegar instead of ammonia in water to clean the windows. I just recently tried this and my windows seem better. I just added a little bit of vinegar (not much just enough to give the 32oz bottle of water a faint odor) and it seems to be helping. Last night when driving I didn't have to use the defogger at all.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ptt127
Check that you don't have the vent switched to recirculate. I occasionally noticed the same thing only to see that someone flipped from fresh air to recirc.
That said, it's normal to run the A/C to remove humidity from the air so the inside windows don't fog up. Just increase the heat so you're not uncomfortable and so the outside of the windows don't fog up! You don't even need the defog position selected: the dry air from the A/C will defog all your windows in moments.

Don't disconnect the auto A/C feature when defog/defrost is on. This is how all cars are configured these days. Don't obsess about never running the A/C. You need to run it to lubricate seals and other components to keep it in good condition. Even in winter switch it on once a week for a few minutes (however if it's below freezing, the compressor won't run so this will have no effect).

Oh and leave the recirc lever switched to fresh air when it's raining. The combination of humid air, wet clothes, and people's breath on cool windows with the setting on recirculate will have your windows dripping.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Not really. Of course where I live could explain that.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Having a similar issue with mine at night. I drive home from work at night, and even with the windows down I still get fogging. Either I need to clean the inside of the windshield as stated above, or stop breathing. I think cleaning will be easier. I will let you all know if cleaning works.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kittengolf
Having a similar issue with mine at night. I drive home from work at night, and even with the windows down I still get fogging. Either I need to clean the inside of the windshield as stated above, or stop breathing. I think cleaning will be easier. I will let you all know if cleaning works.
if you don't report back, we'll know you tried the "stop breathing" technique and that it didn't work.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
That said, it's normal to run the A/C to remove humidity from the air so the inside windows don't fog up. Just increase the heat so you're not uncomfortable and so the outside of the windows don't fog up! You don't even need the defog position selected: the dry air from the A/C will defog all your windows in moments.

Don't disconnect the auto A/C feature when defog/defrost is on. This is how all cars are configured these days. Don't obsess about never running the A/C. You need to run it to lubricate seals and other components to keep it in good condition. Even in winter switch it on once a week for a few minutes (however if it's below freezing, the compressor won't run so this will have no effect).

Oh and leave the recirc lever switched to fresh air when it's raining. The combination of humid air, wet clothes, and people's breath on cool windows with the setting on recirculate will have your windows dripping.
That seems reasonable to me. I wasn't going to go in there for that mod anyway. And I always have the recirc on outside air.

As for rain-x, I always use it for the outer windshield. I don't know what's in there at the moment, but when it's gone I'll be refilling it with rain-x. Great stuff. I've also been using stoners stuff- clear glass or invisible glass or something like that, for cleaning the outer glass. That's also good stuff.

I cleaned my inner glass with windex that has vinegar in it already. Good stuff- look for it. I noticed that the fog situation has improved. I still get it initially, but clearing it lasts longer now- pretty much my whole commute. One thing I DO appreciate is how well the defrost works- in a snap! I think compared to my old clunker, the fit is way more air tight- in fact I'm sure of it. Of course my 14 year old clunker had it's share of air leaks! But being so tight comes with a price it seems. Clean glass is a must, so I'll just have to do it more often. I just wish it was an easier job. You can seriously hurt yourself just cleaning the inner windshield. I tried my extension tool specifically for inner auto glass, but I find there's no beating the human hand for finishing the job. That sounds bad! LOL! But man, the fit's inner windshield is a beast to clean.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 10-05-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by FitStir
Try this mod ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...c-defrost.html
I think the pics are down but it's quite simple I did it to mine, it should help you save some gas.
Wow great mod!! Took me about one minute. Nice to be able to use those defrost vents with or without the A/C on.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chad T
Wow great mod!! Took me about one minute. Nice to be able to use those defrost vents with or without the A/C on.
Yup. That was my main reason for doing it.

I wonder what everyone's vent settings are at, I think I see a pattern of those who leave their vent's in fresh air vs. recirculate.
I never switch it to recirculate it stays on fresh air all year round, and no major fogging.

Quick Reply: Front defroster- on a LOT