2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA)

Hi, it’s my first post in Fit Freak.
I am from Greece, I own a Honda Jazz (the European name of Fit). It’s a 1.2 MT Trend model 2009.

I’m very interesting about Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) system.
ABS/TCS is on my Jazz but not the Vsa.
This year 2010, all the new jazz will arrive with this (VSA) on them!

The missing components are the following:
1) Steering Angle Sensor: The steering angle sensor informs the VSA module of the steering wheel position. The VSA module can determine the rotation direction and speed of the steering wheel by measuring the frequency detected by the phototransistors.
2) An on-off switch.

Does anybody know how can I add this possibility (extra) to my jazz too?

Last edited by sofosal; 01-01-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
^This needs some looking in to. I hadn't even bothered to think of this possibility.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:22 PM
correct me if I am wrong, but I think the ECU must be programmed to engage the braking systems for the VSA to function as well.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wpyeo
correct me if I am wrong, but I think the ECU must be programmed to engage the braking systems for the VSA to function as well.
It may need to be reprogrammed or it may already be there (because other models come with VSA - US Fit Sport Navi) and it might detect the lack of sensors and disable VSA automatically - not sure on this. The VSA system also modulates the throttle in addition to handling braking. It relies on the TPMS sensors to be active as well and probably many other things.

~SB

Old 01-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
It may need to be reprogrammed or it may already be there (because other models come with VSA - US Fit Sport Navi) and it might detect the lack of sensors and disable VSA automatically - not sure on this. The VSA system also modulates the throttle in addition to handling braking. It relies on the TPMS sensors to be active as well and probably many other things.

~SB
for JDM version that I am driving now, TPMS need not be present for the VSA to work. maybe it applies to USDM version only. since threatstarter is having a UKDM version of the Jazz, prehaps his ECU is also programmed differently from ours..

Old 01-02-2010, 03:58 AM
dgs
I do not believe VSA can be added to a vehicle. Even if it could, I believe the cost of retrofitting a car with VSA would be cost prohibitive. Trading in your car for a model with VSA is more sensible if you really must have VSA, but then of course you'll get raped on the trade in. Either way it's a money losing proposition. Drive safely and sensibly and VSA is a non-issue anyway.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:16 AM
dgs, take a look at this video, i think you will change your mid.
the cost is not high, if honda (or some other) serve it.

howsafeisyourcar.com.au - Car Safety - Crash Avoidance Features - Electronic Stability Control (ESC)

I saw in the service manual that vsa acts via the same (ABS) modulator.
I checked and fount vsa modulator –control unit in car with VSA is the same with this named abs modulator- control unit, fount in my car.
Wheel speed sensors (four of them one per wheel) are the same too.
“yaw rate-lateral/longitudinal acceleration sensor” is one more “module” placed right in front the center console.

Rear door speakers, front tweeters, steering wheel wires are present in this “basic model” 2009, although that components are not.
It’s simply shell politic, being differently cost models.

Last edited by sofosal; 01-02-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:52 PM
There's a steering angle sensor as well.

If the VSA modulator, wheel sensor, wheel bearing and ECM part numbers are the same and the harness is equipped with a connector for the yaw sensor, steering angle sensor, vsa button then you probably could do it.

Conversely, if you have enough money you could do it.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Some good info came out at the end of this thread discussing the same topic...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...d-oem-vsa.html

Old 01-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Deletion of VSA option for Canadians

Last month Honda announced the 2010 Fit for Canada and added VSA for the Sport model. I was quite pleased to finally see this as an option for the first time. Sadly Honda just recently chose to delete VSA for Canadian Fits. It is no longer listed as available in the specifications on their website. Also, Honda did not reduce the MSRP accordingly. Why Honda?? Why won't you given Canadians the choice to have this important safety feature? As per the above posts it does not seem practical to add VSA after purchase. Honda and their slogan of "safety for everyone" once again screws (and potentially kills) Canadians.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by sofosal
dgs, take a look at this video, i think you will change your mid.
the cost is not high, if honda (or some other) serve it.

howsafeisyourcar.com.au - Car Safety - Crash Avoidance Features - Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
Greece, wow, I took a three week vacation to Greece many years ago and it was the best vacation of my life. Seeing the Acropolis in person was very awe inspiring.

Anyway, you don't need to convince me of the benefits of VSA. I have blasted Honda on other threads about only supplying VSA with the navigation system, quite possibly the dumbest thing I have every heard. What does VSA have to do with navigation? Just stupid on Honda's part.

I just didn't want the OP to stress about it and spend all kinds of money retro-fitting or trading in his car for VSA, as defensive driving is the best thing you can do. My VSA has never activated because I'm a very defensive driver, both with other drivers and outside weather conditions. VSA is a great advancement in driver safety, but just like with ABS, millions of drivers don't have it and never have any accidents.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
VSA is nice and all, but is really not needed. In fact, in my S nisen everytime I got in the car and started it up, I immediately disabled it rain or shine. It completely dulls the driving experience. I was worried about the VSA on the Fit and when I asked Sato-San if it could be turned off, he answered how I wanted with a HAI. Being where it might snow at times, it might come in handy somewhat, but for actually driving the piss out of a car, it is a major annoyance. For me anyways when I would drive the S nisen in auto-x and just some touge running (what could be done in Guam...NOT MUCH AT ALL) if it was on I hated driving. It is just another thing made to make bad drivers a little bit better behind the wheel. I say...GET ON THE BUS and off the road if this shoe fits you.

Seriously though be happy you don't have it and then take yourself out to an auto-x event and drive as hard as you possibly can and learn vehicle dynamics. I swear I wish driving tests to get your license were actually held in such an environment. Then there would be much better drivers on the road and all the damn safety equipment riddled in cars today wouldn't be necessary.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:50 AM
555sexydrive, you are right, many people thinks absolutely like you do!
They are drivers that experienced vsa for the first time and they disabled it, cause they felt like not to control their vehicle! They all were old drivers, really some good of them!
“It is just another thing made to make bad drivers a little bit better behind the wheel.”
You are also right, but I think, if it will happen for some driver to be in an unsurpassed driving condition, Vsa could be an assistant.

Many drivers in jazz with vsa, said it's a system that had not caused any trouble to them, some said it was very useful in some cases.

Anyway, trying to find out more about it, I discovered some more difficulties that make things untenable.

First: vsa module is not the same with this one ABS module that is present in Jazz.
(They look same but are not)
ABS module is accommodated with a 25 pin connector; VSA module has a 36 pin connector on it! This is the big problem! Replacement is very expensive. Wires are not present too!!

Also TCS (traction control), I think not exist in the non vsa vehicle. (I’m not so sure) “ABS – TCS components” are in the same paragraph in service manual. That confused me.

Steering angle sensor, yaw rate – lateral/longitudinal acceleration sensor, vsa off switch, and replacement of ABS modulator control unit with that VSA modulator control unit, many new wires. Eh!!! They are much ado for nothing!!!

http://www.jazzmania.gr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1493

this is a Greek forum, Greek language, just there are some interesting pictures.

Last edited by sofosal; 01-07-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Don't bother. It's different cabin harnesses, and the control unit alone is rather expensive, plus you need the ECU for a VSA-equipped vehicle. Just a quick query into the parts system yielded $900 on control units alone. IIRC the ABS module is different, along with the entire engine harness.

Your best bet would be to find a totaled fit sport navi, and striping the parts out, as everything else is similar enough to work.

Subscribe to Honda's Express Service and grab some of the detailed information about the VSA system.