2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Passenger windshield wiper

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Passenger windshield wiper

Has any 1 taken off the passenger windshield wiper?
If so how do you like it?
It just seems useless to me.
Maybe add a slightly larger driver side wiper.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
this is the wrong section for this.

also, why would you want to remove it?

Old 01-23-2010, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
oh my bad, i thought i was in 2nd gen
like i said It just seems useless to me.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
passenger windshield wiper

Has any 1 taken off the passenger windshield wiper?
If so how do you like it?
It just seems useless to me.
Maybe add a slightly larger driver side wiper.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
I would think a larger wiper on the driver's side would wipe up past the glass on the top. And if you got one that didn't, the extra inch or so is so not going to make up for the 8" of clear space you get on the passenger side of the windshield with the other wiper there, IMO.

That being said, the passenger side wiper is really weird. The whole wiper situation on the Fit is a little odd. But it gives it character lol.

Edit: Now, I know that a lot of people run around taking off the rear wiper, but I would actually like to put a larger blade on *that* one to clear more of the rear window. I wonder if that's possible.

Last edited by VaMPKiSS1; 01-23-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Edited to add comment
Old 01-23-2010, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
I have a concern with the passenger-side front wiper, as well. Its path of travel stops right dead center in front of my field of vision and leaves a smudge that's hard to see through (it goes away in a second or so, but with the wipers on a faster setting it will be constant).

Old 01-23-2010, 06:41 PM
I took mine off and replaced my 28" driver's side blade with a 32" blade from an RV place near me. I use rain-x and rarely drive my Fit with anyone else in the car so the small swath of uncleared area doesn't bother me. It does present a small issue with frost but I scrape that area an extra second or two and keep going. You pry off the rubber cover, remove the 14mm bolt, rock the blade back and forth and it will come off. Put the 14mm bolt back on and cover it with the rubber piece.

Voila, right wiper delete.

When I adjust my valves I'm going to see if I can get rid of the linkage so the right side doesn't turn.

b

Old 01-23-2010, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
wiper delete= early rice period...imho...

im surprised there's a longer wiper out there.

do as you please thouhg.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:55 PM
have any of you guys noticed that at idel the passenger side wiper arm vibrates?? or is mine the only one plaged w/ that? I have also noticed that when the wipers are on and you put the tranny in reverse that the rear wiper starts. Does it work like that w/ the manual trannys??

Old 01-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by mole177
wiper delete= early rice period...imho...

im surprised there's a longer wiper out there.

do as you please thouhg.
My right wiper vibrated visibly in gear at idle, I don't know if it was making noise but I took it off right then and applied rain-x. It does look good in my opinion; I would like to get rid of the other spindle and put a cover over the hole. After the first frost I looked for a longer blade to catch just a bit more, one is available on ebay for the Renault Espace that is 30" but my local RV place had the 32". 32 inches required me to trim a quarter inch off the insert to not rub the windshield moulding. It sits pretty well centered and gets everything I need out of the way, cost something like 30 bucks, has the air managing cover to keep it pressed down and snapped on.

little different

Old 01-23-2010, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
I took mine off last april
it works fine, I use aquapel (rain-x on steroids)
No visibility issues.

A picture and more details in this thread, I think page 2
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ngs-maybe.html

Last edited by Tork; 01-23-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Looks good, that is the look i am going for also.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
That right side wiper is ridiculously tiny. Ours tore after a few months, for no reason. The dealer had to special order the replacement - not in stock.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by VaMPKiSS1
Edit: Now, I know that a lot of people run around taking off the rear wiper, but I would actually like to put a larger blade on *that* one to clear more of the rear window. I wonder if that's possible.
Well, I wouldn't think it would matter. When the rear window is being wiped, look at the wiper trail where it reaches the closest point at the top of the rear window. If there's an inch of space left, I guess you'd be clear for wipers an inch longer than the stock wipes. More than an inch? So on and so forth...

The only thing I could think that may inhibit a change is if the top of the rear window isn't flat enough for the new length of wiper/blade to wipe sufficiently. If so, then adding a longer wiper/blade would be somewhat useless, obviously.

Let me know if you do it, and how it works out. I hate rear windows that do not get adequately wiped. It's like, why even have a wiper if some portion in your field of view is left largely uncleared.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:59 AM
I just bought my 2010 Fit and the passenger wiper also shakes while at an idle. What I did was lifted up the driver side wiper and then I lifted up the passenger side wiper. I did notice that the Spring on the passenger wiper is weaker than the driver side it seemed. So I was thinking if I could buy the stiffer spring and install it on the passenger side wiper it would stop... If anyone has fixed this problem please let me know how, it's irritating.. lol

Old 03-08-2010, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
I just checked the rear wiper which, at vertical position, comes within less than a half inch from the top of the rear glass, and clears a Sport spoiler by the same amount. Also, the last 1.5" of the glass is blacked out, so a longer wiper would have no effect in that dimension, and only marginal impact horizontally.

My complaint about the rear wiper is that it appears to have been designed for JDM, and Honda didn't bother to change the geometry for the rest of the world -- the pivot should be on the left, not the right, for the driver's view. Unfortunately, not something that can be changed by the end user.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
I love the rear wiper for cleaning all the winter muck off the window. It does a good job with snow too. (Even if it doesn't clean 100% of the glass.)

Old 03-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Selden
I just checked the rear wiper which, at vertical position, comes within less than a half inch from the top of the rear glass, and clears a Sport spoiler by the same amount. Also, the last 1.5" of the glass is blacked out, so a longer wiper would have no effect in that dimension, and only marginal impact horizontally.

My complaint about the rear wiper is that it appears to have been designed for JDM, and Honda didn't bother to change the geometry for the rest of the world -- the pivot should be on the left, not the right, for the driver's view. Unfortunately, not something that can be changed by the end user.
Anyone know if it would be possible to move the rear wiper about 6" toward the passenger side? That would give more cleared area in the center of the rear window instead of off to the left....(as seen in the rearview mirror!)

Old 03-09-2010, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Question Were's the Pichers Guys?

TTISWP.jpg?t=1264848022

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 03-09-2010 at 07:21 PM.