2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door locks squeal

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
Door locks squeal

Wondering if anyone else is getting this-

Thus far, only with the key fob, occasionally when locking or unlocking the doors they squeal. That's best way to describe it. It's not a whistle noise, it's a squeal. It's been freezing cold here, but I don't think that's a factor. It happens infrequently, but enough to maybe start taking it seriously. I've read from member Rybinea here that he thinks Honda auto locks suck and doesn't even use them. I've gone through bad acuators on my last car and I really hoped I was done with the problem. Say it isn't so.

Dan

Old 02-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199

Thus far, only with the key fob, occasionally when locking or unlocking the doors they squeal. That's best way to describe it. It's not a whistle noise, it's a squeal. It's been freezing cold here, but I don't think that's a factor. It happens infrequently, but enough to maybe start taking it seriously. I've read from member Rybinea here that he thinks Honda auto locks suck and doesn't even use them. I've gone through bad acuators on my last car and I really hoped I was done with the problem. Say it isn't so.

Dan
Mine does it too. Doesn't seem to be affecting them...just loud. On a side note it is freezing here too. I have notice they do seem to be more noisy since its been cold out.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
mine only squeals when i'm sticking my key into my wife's lock. then i hear a lot of squeals. lol j/k bwahahaha take a joke!

Old 02-17-2010, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
LOL!

Maybe it is the cold. I'll only know when it warms up around here, which doesn't look to be any time soon. Yet another snow storm is forecasted for next Monday night- possible six inches. Good F'n grief!

Dan

Old 02-17-2010, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
It's more of an "eeeep" than a squeal. Mine does it too but only infrequently during unlock. At first I thought it was me. Seems to happen more when the temps are in the 40s. It seems normal at this stage, but I wish it didn't.

I'm going to disable the auto-lock/unlock function to save wear-and-tear. I thought it was kinda cool at the beginning but now I think it's silly. Especially when it goes "eeeeeeep."

Last edited by Steve244; 02-17-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:39 AM
woo hoo I'm glad more people are coming out with this problem. I had a thread on this a few weeks back. Now I can tell my dealer to shove it. Normal wear and tear my buttocks.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:42 AM
mine squeaks every once in a while, but it's not cold here. This morning it was already in the 60's when I left for school in the morning. There's still a squeak. I'm gonna ask my dealer to lubricate; it might help.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
It's not enough for me to go back to default lock settings, that's for sure. That drove me absolutely nuts. At most I might use my key to enter, which would save a bunch. I'm gonna have to keep my ears on this. It almost sounds as if it struggels to lock/unlock when it does it. If or when it completely fails, I'd bet that's what will happen- it''ll just stick for good. And THEN I can get it fixed. Hate this intermittent crap.

Dan

Old 02-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199

Dan
I just had my driver's door lock actuator/latch replaced under warranty because of the screeching sound when unlocking. Mine happened cold also. I turned off the automatic locking (there's a sticky for this) and as said, rarely use my keyless entry. As a service advisor at a medium-size Honda dealer I see these broken all the time on nearly every model and year. If your dealer will replace it do so; I did mine so if it goes out again I have documentation about a prior issue.

b