2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Windshield: What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Cracked Windshield: What to do?

Update #3:
Safelite tech came by this morning and now I have a new windshield. Total cost $266.32. Definitely will be lowering the deductible on my comprehensive in case this happens again.

Update #2:
Just met with the Safelite technician. He said that because the vehicle is so new, no autoglass shop has the moldings. They'll need to get the molding from the dealership. It will take 3-5 days and will increase my price quote. They'll call me when they find out how much.

Update:
Thanks to everyone who chirped in. I've decided to have the glass replaced thru Safelite Autoglass (http://www.safelite.com/). I'll be paying out of pocket since the total price was within my $500 deductible. The quote given was $275.01 installed. I will post again once the job is complete.

Original Post:
Long story short: rock meets windshield, rock won.

Now I have a foot-long crack going from the left edge toward the center of the windshield. I'm entertaining a few options as to what to do but I thought who best to ask other than the Fitfreaks?

1. Replace windshield through filing a claim with insurance.
I'm not sure how much replacing the windshield would cost, but I doubt it would meet the $500 deductible I currently have on my C&C policy. Also, I've never filed a claim before with any insurance company, would my premiums go up next year if I go through the insurance company?

2. Replace windshield through local auto glass shop.
Again, I don't know how much replacing the windshield would cost. But I plan to call around tomorrow. Anyone had their windshield replaced? If so, how much was the total cost?

3. Drive with cracked windshield until next safety inspection.
From what my friends tell me, a cracked windshield is not really a big deal as long as visibility is not impaired, which mine isn't. The only issue is that you'll fail the safety inspection, which isn't a problem for me since my next safety inspection isn't due for another 2 years. Are there any significant drawbacks to driving around with a cracked windshield?

Thanks in advance! Happy Easter!

Last edited by bojackson63044; 04-21-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
You should call around first. All depends on your area. You can actually get a ticket for a cracked windshield depending on the peace officer

Old 04-05-2010, 01:21 AM
I had an old Jeep Cherokee with several large cracks in the windshield. They didn't impede my vision and replacing the windshield would have doubled the value of the car. I drove around like that for 3 years with no problems.
Meh.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Crack

Did you get the Titanium package for extended warrenty? This covers rock chips and door dings.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
I recently replaced my windshield. Went through insurance. Cost me $100.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
In my neck of the woods, the insurance deductible is $200 bucks for a windshield claim. A helluva lot cheaper than the $1400.00 estimated cost. I had replacement cost insurance, so I will get Factory Honda parts. Going in Tuesday to get it done.

I think when all is said and done, the cost to the insurance company (state owned) will be closer to $1600.00.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
comprehensive claims generally don't increase your rate but too many in a short period of time can cause you to be non-renewed.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Or move to FL. We don't pay anything for replacing broken windows due to "shitty road condition everywhere"

Old 04-05-2010, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bojackson63044
Update:
Thanks to everyone who chirped in. I've decided to have the glass replaced thru Safelite Autoglass (Windshield Repair and Auto Glass Replacement - Safelite AutoGlass). I'll be paying out of pocket since the total price was within my $500 deductible. The quote given was $275.01 installed. I will post again once the job is complete.
Holy carp, that's cheap. Are you sure it's glass? LOL.

Awesome you didn't have to pay an arm and a leg.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by mugen666
Holy carp, that's cheap. Are you sure it's glass? LOL.

Awesome you didn't have to pay an arm and a leg.
$275 sounds pretty steep to me. My gf had her accord windshield replaced for less than that and that's a much more expensive car.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jkskrn
Or move to FL. We don't pay anything for replacing broken windows due to "shitty road condition everywhere"
Same thing here in MA. Insurance will cover one free windshield replacement per year.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by jkskrn
Originally Posted by hogwylde
Same thing here in MA. Insurance will cover one free windshield replacement per year.
Lol! Unfortunately I'm stuck in MO for at least another 3 years. School

Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
I just got hit with a small rock, made a foot long crack from the bottom edge up. My Grange policy has a $500 deductible. I called their glass break number and they told me they "work with" Safelight Auto Glass, who would replace the windshield for, get this...600 dollars + tax! I next called the dealer, who said call they guy THEY use. HE said about $425+ tax. Two other places said $350 and 370 + tax. I was also told Grange Insurance owns Safelight....hmmm. Apparently, those hood "deflectors" help SOME, I'm told. I was also told part of the problem is that this car is low to the ground-if it were, say a minivan, rocks would have hit the grill.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:29 PM
I had my windshield replaced last winter, no cost to me. Cost the insurance company about $300 and was installed the next day in my garage. I think they just reused the factory molding, can't tell that it's been replaced.

I'd talk to your insurance company about glass specific coverage... the Fit has a pretty big windshield frontal area and no hood to protect it.

Also for some reason my family has had much more trouble with windshields on Japanese cars than American ones. LS430, Sequoia, and Fit (batting 100% so far on Japanese vehicles) have all needed new windshields were previously we'd only replaced 1 windshield in a 96 Suburban (about a 10% failure rate).

Old 07-13-2010, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cargun
we'd only replaced 1 windshield in a 96 Suburban (about a 10% failure rate).
I'm surprised a rock can get up to the windshield of any Suburban.

My Honda Ridgeline that I've had since May of 2005 has had no rock damage, so far (Knock on wood). I drive it on the freeway a lot, following dump trucks and such. I'm puzzled at the Sequoia. Maybe Japanese windshield's attract rocks. The Ridgeline, BTW, is designed and built here in North America.

The Honda Fit's windshield is just asking for rock damage. I had two nasty rock chips/dents on the hood within two months of owning the car. Numerous smaller ones all over the place. Good thing I covered the front grill with mesh. Damn construction all over the place where I live.

Last edited by mugen666; 07-13-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cargun
I had my windshield replaced last winter, no cost to me. Cost the insurance company about $300 and was installed the next day in my garage. I think they just reused the factory molding, can't tell that it's been replaced.

I'd talk to your insurance company about glass specific coverage... the Fit has a pretty big windshield frontal area and no hood to protect it.

Also for some reason my family has had much more trouble with windshields on Japanese cars than American ones. LS430, Sequoia, and Fit (batting 100% so far on Japanese vehicles) have all needed new windshields were previously we'd only replaced 1 windshield in a 96 Suburban (about a 10% failure rate).
They have no such available, only general coverage dependent on your deductible (mine's $500). If it's a quarter-sized CHIP, they'll waive the deductible and FIX it. I'm going to hit up the Ohio Dept Of Transportation about it, since the cause was road milling prior to repaving. Hey-nothing to lose...

Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by dll932
They have no such available, only general coverage dependent on your deductible (mine's $500). If it's a quarter-sized CHIP, they'll waive the deductible and FIX it. I'm going to hit up the Ohio Dept Of Transportation about it, since the cause was road milling prior to repaving. Hey-nothing to lose...
The only thing you will lose is your time. The only way they would be liable to you is if they were negligent in some way. Road milling isn't negligent. Knowing that a road has been milled and then following the vehicle in front of you close enough that when it threw up a rock it hit your windshield might be considered negligent.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mugen666
I'm surprised a rock can get up to the windshield of any Suburban.

My Honda Ridgeline that I've had since May of 2005 has had no rock damage, so far (Knock on wood). I drive it on the freeway a lot, following dump trucks and such. I'm puzzled at the Sequoia. Maybe Japanese windshield's attract rocks. The Ridgeline, BTW, is designed and built here in North America.

The Honda Fit's windshield is just asking for rock damage. I had two nasty rock chips/dents on the hood within two months of owning the car. Numerous smaller ones all over the place. Good thing I covered the front grill with mesh. Damn construction all over the place where I live.
Yeah... We've replaced a windshield on the Ridgeline we picked up in Aug of 05 once. Hit right at the edge of the windshield down towards the corner. 1 in a million shot because of the hood's overhang at theback but.... It was cheaper through the dealer with honda OEM than it was through the glass place. fortunately, the glass place was right across the street from the dealer (literally) so I dropped the Ridge off for an oil change, inspection, and asked them to truck it across the street to have the windshield replaced. The did it all and put it on our bill. also got the 10% parts and labor discount
that came with or Ridge purchase.

Replaced the altima, 2 civic windshields as well... VT has no special glass coverage so it's Insurnace or nothing. we drop our deductible in the winter now because of it.

~SB

Old 07-16-2010, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
I replaced mine when it was cracked in December 2009--- less than 2 months after purchase. Total cost to me: $100 (deductible). Total cost to my insurance company: $1600(!) There were three reasons for this:

1. At that time the only place replacement windshield were available was Honda. The new design mean aftermarket suppliers did not have this product on line yet.

2. It was an insurance claim, so the glass shops gouged almost as bad as Honda did. S.O.P. in the auto body/glass repair industry.

3. This was in Canada, where a combination of corporate greed, absence of competition and lower demand vs. the states conspire to jack prices.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:33 PM
yeah in FL, car insurance is to cover windshields at no out of pocket cost, it's considered a safety issue or something.

Quick Reply: Cracked Windshield: What to do?